ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi everyone,
this isn't a fight journal, it's a me fighting to be my best journal. I appreciate all the support and ideas. You can see more of an overview of my aim at the thread in the general forum: you can help me walk if you want.

Is there a way to upload photos to this forum?

Today I did arm and some back and core workout from my chair with resistance band. I walked about 30 steps with a regular walker and t felt great, my legs / steps felt better and more comfortable than a long time. Regular walker is a basic walker. The new walker that I've had for 1 week is a gait trainer and also good for practicing standing / squats / balance and more. Since I've been using it once a day I've seen / felt progress. I'm going to use it in a minute.

Also trying to keep steady with sitting on the edge of the bed to practice balance / core stuff. Bye for now, happy to find this site.

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

Another 30 minutes standing, my feet hurt. Was thinking I been mostly sitting for 20 years apart from 15 minutes a day which thank God I did. So my feet are probably gonna take a while but that's ok. This wasn't my best session in the walker but I know there will be good and bad days, but the fact that I was up for 30 minutes is priceless. Can people respond to my posts?

Seem to be standing better in the walker and not leaning back so much. But still hard to move it forward. But my legs spasming a lot limited me. I didn't do my leg exercises the last two days - 3 or 4 sets of 25 that usually decrease the spasms so I need to make myself to that.

I did do about 18 squats.

I'm interested in knowing the specific benefits of individual exercises. Like if I do squats what will those stronger leg muscles enable me to do.

I also want to get stronger shoulders for reaching and doing simple yet independent things. My left arm/shoulder is tight and weak, there has to be a way for it to be better.

I want to be able to go from lying to sitting independently. Not sure if that would be mainly crunches I need to focus on? And want to be able to turn side to side in bed and while sitting. I can sit on the edge of the bed unassisted for awhile but it needs to be and can be much better.

I need to focus on my back working as I know and have felt it can so it can assist me in whatever backs were made to do.

As I said I can do squats but I want to exercise whatever other leg muscles / motions there are so I can move / adjust my legs freely whether standing, sitting or laying.

That's a lot to focus on huh? Yes it at times overwhelms me. And if my legs were paralyzed it might seem like an easier task to focus on. But I thank God that I have so much potential and I plan to fight for it no matter how difficult it is.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stood up at mom in laws house for 35 minutes. Exercise band outside for an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

last night also did core / balance sitting on the edge of the bed.

Today exercised legs 3 x 30 at work and stretched right leg 3x 30 minutes. Did some shoulder shrugs and lifts.

Walked with regular walker, not too bad, seemed a little less better than Friday..or Saturday?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

Used the up n free for about 20 minutes. Stood up, locked the piston, and pressed forward to work on my goal of walking to the end of the hall by myself. I think I did get 4 steps unassisted. Walking with the up n free takes much more energy than the regular walker. The up n free with it's 4 big wheels is not the easiest to control at this time. It can be discouraging but I know with time and effort it will improve.

When I couldn't take anymore steps forward unassisted I decided to step backwards. My right stronger leg no problem. My left weak leg was starting to pull up amazingly well, the narrow hallway and wide walker stopped my progress. I so wish I could have kept it going, but I saw that weak leg does work, and it will better.

So then I released the lock and was able to do 15 squats before the spasms kicked in. Then I locked in standing and my wife helped me take a few more steps down the hallway. I think my bloodpressure dropped or something, I got pale and weak and knew I was done and got back in my chair. Hard work but worth every second.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

This is yesterdays entry. Usual leg reps at work. But started lifting shoulders to side (like a chicken wing I guess) 3 x 10 I think. And started twisting left to right and right to left. And crunching trunk side to side. Hope to learn the proper terms soon:)

After work yesterday walked regular distance which was about 35 steps with regular walker, not too bad.

Later when I used the up n free I felt it would be better than Monday night. I walked down the hall 10 steps with each leg, good steps. Wa able to move the walker straight ahead. My wife only helped minimaly steer the walker away from the wall since i'm still working on that. But all steps were me without any assistance. At the end of the hall I can not turn the walker myself to change direction yet. I need to figure that out. Then I did 15 squats before legs spasmd. Then I did 10 more. Then maybe 7 more.

So taking those steps independently was very exciting and encouraging.

Sat on the edge of the bed and practiced sit ups, back, side to side balance, and using arms to push myself from side to side. Apart from sit ups everything else was 2 sets of 20.

That was yesterdays date, forgot to mention at work I've also been doing shoulder shrugs.

Today at work usual leg routine, 3 x 30. Shoulder shrugs and chicken lifts, 3 x 20. Trunk twists and crunches 3 x 20 each.

Walked after work with regular walker 48 steps, farthest in a long time. The upnfree is helping my legs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:49 am 
Novice
Novice

Haven't updated last few days. Wednesday night with the up n free was good, 30 minutes. Started down the hall but needed help steering. Did squats. For some reason felt a little disappointed, I think it's just frustration. I did my bed abs / back / side balance / tricep. Post more later.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thursday did my exercise at work. Walked with regular walker about 58 steps, all the way to the living room and back. And in the evening using the up n free was great, I walked and was able to steer it to the end of the wall without running into the walls. It was an amazing accomplishment. At the end of hall turning to go another direction I haven't gotten yet. But I stopped and stood and worked on some trunk stuff. No squats. Was able to work on my left leg a bit going backwards and to the side. Was on my feet about 40 minutes. Progress. No ab/core work (well standing) last two nights.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yesterday I worked out with my exercise bands and tried to focus on my upper back muscles. First I did pullups. I'm trying to find a good plan to strengthen my back. Only walked ten steps with the regular walker and no up n free. I think the break was ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Walked about 35 steps with walker. Last step was like it was locked (left leg) That's been happening a little.

Good workout outside. Day 2 focusing on upper back but did other exercises. Pullups faced hands out and in. 3 sets of 20 each.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yesterday walked the hall with the up n free and turned into the living room unassisted. Ab/core workout on edge of bed. Lying back on arm pillow 3 sets of 5 situps. Hope to be consistent during the week and progress weekly.

Legs at work 40 x 3 and stretch. Shoulders and trunk stuff.

Walked great with regular walker, left leg stepped great.

Bed workout, 3 sets of 5 abs seemed harder. Kept doing more after finished other exercises.

Upn free just over 30, but trouble steering clear the doorway, Lisa helped me walk the hall then I did some squats which I think I need to do regularly. Hopefully this week I can use the upnfree +30 minutes everytime. Spasms and hurting feet win right now but I think I can push a little more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Regular at work. Forgot to mention yesterday I started stretching the fingers on my left hand and today makes day 2 each finger 50 x 3 at least. Yesterday noticed my left hand didn't spasm while using the regular walker.

Today after work I used the pullupbar with palms faced out 40 x 2 to focus on my back.

Then used the upnfree about 40 minutes, walked to the end of the hall. Needed help turning into the living room. After standing and taking more steps Lisa helped me walk back to the room. Did about 5 squats. It was a good session.

Just found out today that my brother was stabbed, on his way home from work he stopped to buy food for his dog and three men decided they wanted his black bag. Stabbed him 18 times. I pray that I look back on this post and my brother is well and prospering. God.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:17 am 

Sorry about your brother. I'll pray with you.

I'd suggest starting a discussion thread in the "Journal Discussions" section.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

I truly appreciate that jungledoc. He seems "ok" I don't know, only God, and that is the better way. Just prayers is all I have.

I didn't know there was a journal discussion section, that might come in handy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Last night did bed workout. Day 4 - 3 sets of 5 situps plus other exercises.

Last two nights also did 3 crunches lying flat in bed and 10 flexes trying to lift leg straight up. Day 2

Today usual at work. Legs 3 x 40 day 3.
Shoulder shrugs plus elbows up 3 x 15 day 3.
Trunk twists, side crunches 3 x 15 day 3.
Left finger stretches 50 x 3 x each finger day 3.