Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: planking for "core"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well, HEY =)

a while back here i stated that of my goals is a tigher middle figure, and it was explained to me that by doing "core" excrecices you essentially, ummm, bring ur tunny closer to your back, which is exactly what i want, this isnt about fat % or having a strong enough stomach to get punched or even a 6 pack, i want a tight stomach, RA, Ob's etc.

so - i was told that doing planks is a good way to start (on top of my normal workout) and when i said i cna only do about 60 secs stright i was advices to do 3 sets of 30 - so as i progress i can no do 40, and evne more, but rather i do feel that after 3 sets i can maybe do more, so i want to ask this

for my goal - which is better, more sets of less seconds? or stick with 3 sets with 1 min in between and raise the time i plank each "set"?

ty!

Post subject: Re: planking for "core"
PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:37 pm 

You can go either way. In real life you aren't often called on to hold your "core" muscles more than a few seconds, so I prefer more sets of shorter duration, or adding weight to the plank, and keeping them short.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, from what I've seen, for us normal dudes that don't want to be bodybuilders it is enough to do compound lifts (like deadlifts, (one legged) squats, L pull-ups, one armed push-ups) to have nice midsection.
If you want tight midsection, the only way is to lose your fat. You can't make it less soft.
If you have fat only in midsection, you could have low testosterone levels.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

In my opinion, once you can hold a proper plank for a minute you need to increase the difficulty. By Proper, I mean, abs and glutes engaged, elbows forward of your shoulders and your body straight from head to heels. Then I would switch to ab rollouts, TRX fallouts or some other anti-extention exerice. Pushups work as planks too, so doing those will kill two birds with one stone.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Caniv wrote:
well, HEY =)

a while back here i stated that of my goals is a tigher middle figure, and it was explained to me that by doing "core" excrecices you essentially, ummm, bring ur tunny closer to your back, which is exactly what i want, this isnt about fat % or having a strong enough stomach to get punched or even a 6 pack, i want a tight stomach, RA, Ob's etc.

Getting Punched

Okay, since you brought it up... If you have strong, tight abs, you going to be able to take a punch in the stomach.

Think of it as an additional benefit.

Quote:
so - i was told that doing planks is a good way to start (on top of my normal workout) and when i said i cna only do about 60 secs stright i was advices to do 3 sets of 30 - so as i progress i can no do 40, and evne more, but rather i do feel that after 3 sets i can maybe do more, so i want to ask this

Planks

I am underly impressed with Planks. While they have some ab training value, I question the glorified value they have received.

Ab Wheel

From my personal experience, it is my view that the Ab Wheel is bascially a "Moving Plank". I see it as having a much greater value.

Resistance-Band Ab Wheel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdT3woTsnk

The video above demonstarates how to increase the tension (add resistance) to the movement. Different strengths of resistance bands dramatically increase the resistance level.

Verticle Planks

As Sefan noted, traditional strength training exercise strengthen the "core" (abs, etc).

Angel Spassov, Bulgarian Strength Coach
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/siff1.htm

When ask about ab training at the National Strength and Conditioning Association Conference, Spassov about ab training he replied...

"...if players were squatting, cleaning and pressing, bench pressing, deadlifting and so forth, their trunk muscles were already much more strongly involved than they are during most situps, crunches or machine training."

500 lb Squat/Deadlift Vs 30 Second Plank

Which one requires more core strength?

Research and empirical data demonstrates the core (abs, lower back, etc) are fully activated in heavy lift like these.

Additional Core Work

Based on my personal experience, individual with long turnks usually need additional ab work.

Long Bridges

Think of a long torso as a long bridge. Longer bridges need additional support.

The same applies for the majority of long torso individuals.

"Best Ab Exercise
http://www.t-nation.com/testosterone-magazine-627

Two of the overall best are...

1) Ab Wheel

2) Hanging Leg Raise

Peak Number

In reviewing the information in the article above, the Peak (lower number) is key.

HEAVY Sit Ups

Contreras did NOT included this in his ab exercise research.

Dr Stuart McGill beats up on the "Sit Up" movement.

However, from my experience, Heavy Sit Ups are one of the best ab exercises there is.

Quote:
for my goal - which is better, more sets of less seconds? or stick with 3 sets with 1 min in between and raise the time i plank each "set"?

Time Under Tension

Increasing the amount of time muscle groups are kept under tension has it place in resistance training.

However, at some point there is a diminishing return.

Length of Tension Time

It is broken down as such.

1) Strength Training: Less than 20 seconds

2) Hypertrophy Training: 20 - 40 seconds.

3) Endurance Training: 40 second plus.

Jungledoc Called It

"In real life you aren't often called on to hold your "core" muscles more than a few seconds, so I prefer more sets of shorter duration, or adding weight to the plank, and keeping them short."

Back To Planks

They are okay. However, other movement will develop the abs/core much better.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 pm 

I just saw this great article and it ties in nicely with this converstion.

http://www.theptdc.com/2013/07/know-abo ... -training/

"The results of this study indicate that the activation of the abdominal and lumbar muscles was the greatest during the exercises that required deltoid and gluteal recruitment."

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm 

planks are sooooo 2012

Long live this cool new exercise

http://chadwaterbury.com/a-uniquely-eff ... -exercise/