Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Target, Synergist ratio
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello.

I couldn't find a similar topic, so pardon me if there already is one.

After spending a lot of time browsing through the different types of exercises, I am wondering, if anyone know how the ratio is between the Target and Synergist muscles in terms of total amount of effort (english is not my first language, so I am not sure how else to put it)? I mean. Can you say, that two exercises with a muscle being a Synergist muscle will be trained as much as one exercise where said muscle is the Target muscle? Or is the ratio something else? And can you put a ratio on the stabilizing (also including the Dynamic and Antagonic stabalizors) muscles?

Do tell me if I need to refrase...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:49 am 

No, I don't think you can define any of those ratios. It doesn't really matter. Just train all the major movements, and then synergists and stabilizers with get as much training as they need. They don't need as much training as the prime movers for the major lifts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:21 am 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
No, I don't think you can define any of those ratios. It doesn't really matter. Just train all the major movements, and then synergists and stabilizers with get as much training as they need. They don't need as much training as the prime movers for the major lifts.

So just to be sure I understand you completely, you think I should only focus on the Targeted muscles in the exercises, when I make my workout schedule?

But what if I i.e. have 5 exercises with the biceps as a synergist muscle, then I still should have an exercise, where I have the biceps as the target muscle?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:05 pm 

No. You should have a major exercise that involves horizontal pulling, and one that involves vertical pulling and not worry about the biceps. Focus on the movement, not on the muscle. If you are doing 5 exercises for which biceps is synergist, you are doing too many exercises. It's not nearly as complicated as you think!

Six movements cover general strength:
Vertical push
Vertical pull
Horizontal push
Horizontal pull
Knee-dominant legs
Hip-dominant legs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:54 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
Knee-dominant legs
Hip-dominant legs

Thank you very much for you answer. You have shown me a new road I need to seek out. Thank you. :)