ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 am 
n00b
n00b

I have seen references to an exercise called the Pallof press. I found it on YouTube. I have bars and weights, no facilities for lat pulldowns. I was thinking perhaps if one had a dumbbell and lay upon the floor, holding it out like you would if you were holding out a dumbbell(if you were standing) for a frontal raise, whether that would achieve a similar effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:10 am 

The point of a Pallof press is to put a rotational stress on the body that you have to work against. If you can do that lying on the floor, go ahead. There are actually lots of exercises that create that effect, turkish get ups for one. Google "anti-rotation exercise" for more ideas.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It would be more of an anti-flexion exercise. Still useful though. You could add in a DB or KB "pulse" so to speak on lunges, lateral lunges or goblet squats. You would lower down, then bring the weigth forward, further from your body, hold it for a second or two, bring it back, and finish the rep. Great core and stability training. Like Tony G. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBiggVkfX6k

The free weight equivalent for pallof presses would be a plank that has some pulling forces in it. Like plank DB rows for one. If you can get some block to do the plank on, you can do full-range DB rows while in the position, giving your body a huge rotational force to counteract with. Or bands work great too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 am 

If you can get some tension bands, or improvise with bungie cords, or other elastic bands you can do Pallofs. It's a great exercise, and has been a staple of my workouts for years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Full contact twists have a strong anti rotation component.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thank you folks for your inputs. I am thinking that this would be a good exercise for me to take up. There are many good ideas here, and I appreciate your contributions.