ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: all around core fitness
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:10 pm 
former lurker

for the past year or so I have switched to a much healthier lifestyle, juicing daily and exercising 3x a week. My question is, I have the pouch on my belly still (also is a bit of skin that I want to tighten up). I'm in no hurry (ie no surgery) as it's really not that bad.

Some back story/info. two years ago I weighed 200 lbs - I now weigh 155-160; I am 5'7" and i juice daily and eat/act much healthier. I do basic ab/leg/arm exercises at home 3x a week. any suggestions would be great.

ALSO, for all around fitness and to lose pouch, its there a home exercise machine that i can use to help in this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:16 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

join a gym, do a variety of barbell and dumbell exercises.

the juice you are so keen on may actually be holding you back due to the sugar content

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:31 pm 
former lurker

I really only juice veggies...Ill add an apple in to give it some sweetness, or rarely stevia :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Congratulations on the lifestyle change and weight loss! That's the key to health, not a diet. I'd say check your resistance training program to make sure it's well rounded and hitting all the major muscle groups using basic, effective, and efficient exercises. The templates on this website are excellent in my opinion. If that's in check and your diet is in check, then check your cardio. You can get great high intensity interval training cardio from your weight workout if you structure it correctly--ie. superset exercises or work in a circuit. That's great for stoking the metabolic fire. But, on top of that I'd do some basic steady state cardio, such as brisk walking most days of the week or everyday if you can. Try adding a 30-60 minute walk every day if you can. The key to a lean core is body composition, not necessarily your ab/core routine. Best of luck. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:30 am 

You have a pouch? Really? That's really interesting! :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:32 am 

I think you mean you have a paunch.