ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sympathy Recomp 2013
PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Alright. All summer of recomping and fat loss dieting is running it's last miles. And I feel it.
Low calorie, low carb approach is making me such a zombie. I feel tired all the time, I can't recover from workouts, I think of food a lot and am hungry quite often. So pretty much your average low-energy diet, right? The average calories from low-days rank somewhere around 1600-2000, with 20-40g of carbs, medium were 1800-2200kcal with 80-140g, and high day of the week got 2200+ with over 200g carbs at least. While the calories remained sort of high, coupled with a heavy exercise and lots of busy living it wasn't easy.

Now it's time to slowly start dropping the carb cycling. I'm still far away from my strength goals, so I need to eat way more. Also when school starts again I will have less control of the macronutrients. And I don't want to stress, but I want to keep being roughly this lean. So during August I'm slowly adding more carbs and calories into my daily eating, the goal is to eat approx. 2400 +/-200kcal daily. Protein is kept high (2g/kg of BW), fat is around 20-30%, and carbs are the rest, roughly 275-400g a day. Which is huge for me. It's been a long while since I've had that much carbs every day. So no more low carb days! I'll start by adding the carbs and calories in slowly, like 100g more each week until I reach september.

But first, one more week of suffering and a very low carb approach coupled with one cheat meal. Then some measurements (can't get BF% before september tho.), and I'm done.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Here's my progress. After pic was taken 4-5 weeks ago. Since then i've been more casual, ate more carbs etc although i've maintained it pretty well. Weighed myself lastnight and still 79KG.

My approach has been kinda half-assed. After my next comp i'm going to really dial it in, actually count calories and macros, and see what I can do over 6-8weeks.

Apologies for the selfie. Also, didn't have any "before" pics so had to dig out random ones that were taken of me.

KPj

Attachments:
before-after.jpg
before-after.jpg [ 112.72 KiB | Viewed 1451 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice work! You're looking very cut there. Definition doesn't show as well in pictures as it does when you look in the mirror either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am 

Nice work Kenny, I love that fat picture of you. You should use it as your avatar.

Physique looks really balanced too which isn't bad considering you don't care about stuff like that.

It's good that you're maintaining on more carbs too. Layne Norton talks about stuff like that on his website. You should check out ome of his video blogs, particularly the ones on metabolic damage (I don't think you have that, they're just really interesting videos).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 am 

Thanks!!

The 81-82kg was actually a couple of years ago. Was towards the end of a very difficult year personally, plus almost a full year of no squats and DL's due to injury - I'm one of these people who struggle to eat well when my training isn't going well.

The 88-89KG was about october last year. The heaviest I weighed was actually 90KG around that time. That was tail end of the first year of getting my strength back, I just focused on lifting heavy and eating whatever I got my hands on, which to be fair was never all that bad, just large amounts of it.

My competition is on Sunday, and the 2 weeks after that i'm going to do an "insulin reset", just a little experiment, really. Not worked out calories and macros yet but, basically, calories will be low - prob around 1500 per day, with "no" carbs (other than fibrous Veg), and no cheat days. This for 2 weeks then calories and carb intake will bump up, more on training days, with one cheat day and one 24 hour fast per week. Still sticking to the 16/8 plan i'm doing just now but dialing it in more.

I'm actually looking forward to counting calories, it's been years since I've dialed things in this much!

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 am 

Why don't you try the "Get Shredded Diet" by John Berardi? There's a T-Nation article about it that lays it out pretty clearly. It's basically something like:

Calories = Bodyweight (lbs) x 10 which for you would be about 1750. You are allowed 10% + or -
Protein = 30% of your calories
Fats = 60% of your calories
Carbs = 10% of your calories and they should all come from veg, no starches or anything like that

supplement with creatine and BCAAs (2.5g and 5g respectively, four times a day). I think he recommends some Biotest fat burners - it is a T-Nation article after all - but I guess you could get some ephedrine or something if you wanted to go down that route. I'd personally just drink coffee (no sugar!).

there's probably more to it than that but that's the crux

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:32 am 

robertscott wrote:
Why don't you try the "Get Shredded Diet" by John Berardi? There's a T-Nation article about it that lays it out pretty clearly. It's basically something like:

Calories = Bodyweight (lbs) x 10 which for you would be about 1750. You are allowed 10% + or -
Protein = 30% of your calories
Fats = 60% of your calories
Carbs = 10% of your calories and they should all come from veg, no starches or anything like that

supplement with creatine and BCAAs (2.5g and 5g respectively, four times a day). I think he recommends some Biotest fat burners - it is a T-Nation article after all - but I guess you could get some ephedrine or something if you wanted to go down that route. I'd personally just drink coffee (no sugar!).

there's probably more to it than that but that's the crux

Just read this. That's actually very similar to what i'll be doing. Basically, I read Engineering the Alpha by John Romaniello. He's another proponent of IF, the 16/8, which is what lead me to it, really. That, and a whole book about naturally increasing T-levels seemed right up my street. Very easy/entertaining read as well.

Anyway he splits training into phases and each phase is geared towards optimising a different hormone. So for example when GH is the focus they use loads of short rest periods because that's been showin to boost GH. Stuff like that. Basically using everything at your disposal that "might" help with whatever hormone you're trying to optimise.

I'm not doing it exactly as written. I may not do the training as written at all, actually - obviously i have my own goals in terms of powerlifting. But I want to give the diet approach a shot. It's easy to fit into what I already do and it's consistent with a lot of stuff i've read elsewhere. The "insulin reset" for phase one is very similar to what you just outlined. It's also very similar to what Bio Sig stuff recommends to "fix" you when blood sugar/insulin is flagged up as a problem (btw, our new gym owners are making us all learn biosig)

KPj