ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: squating - shin position
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Question about shin position during squating that i have not been able to find the answer to.

If the knee is tracking in line with the toes, but the shin is still on a diagonal angle (in the coronal plane if anything), is this a bad thing?

If you can imagine having a very wide stance, but not turning the feet out, this is the angle i am talking about. I understand you turn your feet out the wider your stance, is this to prevent this angle?

My conclusion to how to squat is, knees track in line with toes, and externally rotate hips/leg/foot as you widen the stance to prevent the angle. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:03 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

There is a it depends answer here. Knees should always point to the same direction as the toes, and the knee should always remain in line with the foot. So no valgus or vanus. Knees more out is more preferrable, but knees shouldn't be inside the ankles so to speak. That's where rotation comes to play. So yeah, if you have a wider stance, turn your feet out. The narrower you get, the less you have to rotate. It's against your mechanics to squat wide with toes pointing forward, and it kills your joints.

The there is the ankle dorsiflexion/plantar flexion angle, aka sagittal plane. If you use a wider squat (and specially back squat), you need to push your hips back and keep your shin angle more perpendicular, so that knees won't go over toes. But when doing a narrower quad dominant squat (specially front squat) your knees will travel more forward and shin angle is increased.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:08 am 
Rookie
Rookie

thanks, i definitely noticed a difference in my squats tonight!