ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Simple 5/3/1 program
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:09 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm currently experiencing a "life event" which I may or may not go into on another thread, which has kept me away from the forums and cost me about 10% on the big lifts, quite a bit more on OHP.

One note though: this event coincided with my dream gym closing as the two owners went their separate ways. Now I actually go to both: one is only for personal training and is not a general purpose gym, the other is the general purpose come-when-you-want spot for the rest of the week. The bugger is the farmers bars are in the wrong gym.

When it came time to get back into things for real, I picked 5/3/1 because it is so simple and effective, and worked up this basic routine. It combines 3 ideas. First is to concentrate on the big 6, second is to get some kind of heavy volume respecting my current reduced work capacity, and third is alternating accessory idea: accessory for dead on squat day and vice versa, accessory for bench on press day and vice versa. It has been working out well for the past 2 weeks and I'm beginning to feel really alive again.

Day    Lift      Complementary Accessory      2nd Accessory
----- --------- ---------------------------- -------------------------
Sun Press DB Bench 10x10 Pullups
Tue Squat Stiff Leg Deadlift Abs circuit
Thu Bench DB Shoulder Press 10x10 Inverted Rows
Sat Dead Safety Bar Squats 10x10 Abs Circuit

I like this because it allows significant improvement on an accessory over 3 weeks, then I can swap it out for the next cycle and come back to it in a later cycle.

Not really asking a question here, though feedback is always welcome, Just letting everybody know i'm still alive and still lifting :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:51 am 

the combination of the exercises is good. but didn't you post a graph which conclusion was that 5/3/1 brought you nothing some time ago? :grin:

and wendler for example says in his new book that GVT (10x10) is stupid cause of fatigue and the non existing factor for strength. this sounds logical to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:14 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've actually used a similar template when life got really crazy. Sometimes I would only have 20-30mins to train, so I went back on 5-3-1 because that means if all you get done is the main lift, then 10-20 mins (including warm up) will keep you on track at the very least. For assistance I used 2 exercises for everyday, both would be 5 x 10. I would alternate sets and pretty much just run down the clock doing this. Sometimes I would only get 3-4 sets done before I was kicked out of the gym and the odd time I would get it all done and be able to add some extra.

It really taught me how to prioritise in training and make the most of short sessions, too.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
the combination of the exercises is good. but didn't you post a graph which conclusion was that 5/3/1 brought you nothing some time ago? :grin:

You got me. But my evaluation missed two important influences: being in a gym with other accomplished lifters, and having a trainer. When I did 5/3/1 I was still working out alone and always had. The influence of other lifters and the effect of a trainer allow me to get much more out of any program now, and so I find 5/3/1 has done more in the past two weeks for me than it ever did before I had that experience.

ephs wrote:
and wendler for example says in his new book that GVT (10x10) is stupid cause of fatigue and the non existing factor for strength. this sounds logical to me.

You won't find me arguing with Wendler, except to say that I would give him a D- in English Comp for not establishing context for his statements. Does he mean as a sustained effort? Is he referring to himself or his clients, or perhaps his colleagues? You have to a read a lot of Wendler and work out the context for him before his many apparently contradictory statements can make any sense.

But in my case the 10x10 at this stage of my lifting is about practice and commitment. In those later sets and reps the choice is between getting lazy and sloppy to claim the reps, or focusing on maintaining form and commitment in the face of fatigue. The pump is nice, though it lasts only an hour or two, but what carries over to the next session is the burned-in form practice and the sense of growing commitment. That's what it's doing for me anyway. As long as it's useful I'll keep it up, and when it has served its purpose I'll change to something else.