ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
former lurker

would like to know which is more effective in boosting energy levels to have a good exercise session , carb./protein shake 10mins. prior workout or ceffeine supplement of creatine supplement ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:59 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Dub wrote:
Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.

Great information.

Carb/Protein/Creatine/Caffeine Mix

I mix them all together and make it a cocktail.

I works.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am 

You certainly do, Kenny!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:32 pm 

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

Creatine has been reported (anecdotally) to have a subtle, but noticeable stimulatory effect on Cognition. Less potent than classical stimulants like Caffeine, these may be placebo.

Caffeine may adversely interact with creatine's actions on muscle contraction, and should be controlled for before somebody judges how creatine works for them.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Have you considered just getting a little moire sleep at night? I know it's easier said than done, but even an extra hour a night throughout the week can make a big difference in you energy level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Stephen Johnson wrote:
I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?

How to combine creatine and caffeine – and how not to
http://www.ergo-log.com/creatinecaffeine.html

Whey, Caffeien and Creatine
http://forums.prosource.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18967

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Stephen Johnson wrote:

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?

Carb and caffeine combo speeds up post-training muscle recovery
http://ergo-log.com/carbandcaffeine.html

"....the stimulant also helps recovery after heavy physical exertion. When combined with carbohydrates, caffeine speeds up the glycogen production in tired muscles."

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am 

Stephen Johnson wrote:

60! Imagine that!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am 

I feel so young.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm 

And you are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

stuward wrote:
I feel so young.

Stu,

I see you are back to "Elder Bashing."

How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.

Doc is in the same 60+ boat that I find myself now.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. ”
— Eubie Blake