ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:03 pm 
Offline
former lurker

Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:05 pm
Posts: 1
would like to know which is more effective in boosting energy levels to have a good exercise session , carb./protein shake 10mins. prior workout or ceffeine supplement of creatine supplement ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:59 am 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:40 pm
Posts: 1141
Location: Lapland, Finland
Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.

_________________
Physical Preparedness Coach
Co-Owner of UniFit Oy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:39 am 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1043
Dub wrote:
Creatine has very little to do with your energy levels. They are a main player in force production and they might push your maximal effort a bit further, but the timing doesn't matter.

Caffeine has very mixed reactions in research. First off, if you are a regular caffeine consumer, the effect will be a lot smaller than if you don't normally drink caffeine beverages. Secondly, it has very much variable on different people. Some are affected more by caffeine, some are non-responders. Caffeine will most likely give you more energy, but it only might give your performance a boost. It possibly delays fatique in lower intensity higher rep work when going near failure. But It will take big amounts to get those benefits. Doses of 3-4mg/kg might bring some results, 6mg/kg is more likely to produce some results. This kind of amount of caffeine also migth upset your stomach. Having more energy and feeling more alert doesn't guarantee better performance.

Carb and protein drink prior to working out is my best bet on this one. If you have it like within an hour before working out it should be good for that purpose. A solid meal 1-3 hours before workout should do the trick too. John Meadows recommends adding a small source of fat to your pre-workout to slow down the digestion of the carbs, and to prevent huge spiking and dropping of blood sugar levels. I've never had a problem with just protein/carb shake tho. But does it boost my energy levels? I don't know.


Great information.

Carb/Protein/Creatine/Caffeine Mix

I mix them all together and make it a cocktail.

I works.

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:17 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
You certainly do, Kenny!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:32 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/

Creatine has been reported (anecdotally) to have a subtle, but noticeable stimulatory effect on Cognition. Less potent than classical stimulants like Caffeine, these may be placebo.

Caffeine may adversely interact with creatine's actions on muscle contraction, and should be controlled for before somebody judges how creatine works for them.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:18 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 pm
Posts: 4424
Location: Pennsylvania
Have you considered just getting a little moire sleep at night? I know it's easier said than done, but even an extra hour a night throughout the week can make a big difference in you energy level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:33 pm 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1043
Stephen Johnson wrote:
I read somewhere once that creatine and caffeine counteracted one another when taken together. Old wives tale or not?


How to combine creatine and caffeine – and how not to
http://www.ergo-log.com/creatinecaffeine.html

Whey, Caffeien and Creatine
http://forums.prosource.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18967

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:44 am 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1043
Stephen Johnson wrote:
Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?


Carb and caffeine combo speeds up post-training muscle recovery
http://ergo-log.com/carbandcaffeine.html

"....the stimulant also helps recovery after heavy physical exertion. When combined with carbohydrates, caffeine speeds up the glycogen production in tired muscles."

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:23 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
Stephen Johnson wrote:
Thanks for the links, Kenny and Stu

I don't do caffeine before workouts, but I do drink coffee afterward - supposedly it helps recovery. It is a pleasant diversion from the growing number of aches and pains I get now that I've turned 60 :cry: Or so I read once. Truth or fiction?

60! Imagine that!

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6418
Location: Halifax, NS
I feel so young.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:39 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
And you are.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:12 am 
Offline
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:36 am
Posts: 1043
stuward wrote:
I feel so young.


Stu,

I see you are back to "Elder Bashing."

How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.

Kenny Croxdale

_________________
Thanks TimD.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:05 pm 
Offline
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:20 pm
Posts: 2087
Location: New York City
Kenny Croxdale wrote:
How sad that kids like you and Jungledoc have to beat up on old people to feel good about yourself.


Doc is in the same 60+ boat that I find myself now.

"If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. ”
— Eubie Blake

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group