ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

why most women are smaller than men and keeping women weak
click here if you are a man and agree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
click here if you are a woman and agree 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:39 am 
sex education in schools at the age of twelve, recommended calorie intake 2000 for women, 2500 for men, ritalin, school for 11 years with minimum exercise time and office jobs for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, do you think there is a link?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:10 am 
In Memoriam: TimD

OK, Nicole, your question is very fuzzy at best, and bordering on off topic. I really have no idea of what you mean to be asking, and clearly define what you mean by the ritalin, for men and women, women only? No exercise and office jobs for women only? you're not clear on that point. Conspracy theories?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I am usually pretty good at sorting this stuff out. In this case I am pretty confused though.

Are we talking about female genetics maybe? Or are we talking about how females are treated in regards to fitness? Or what?

I don't know if this is anything you were talking about but I do think women get the short end of the stick in nutrition and fitness. Sure men get crappy nutrition and training information. There is all kinds of BS out there for both sexes. The problem is women get another layer of BS. They are always advised to go on these crazy low calorie diets that kill their metabolism and they are never advised to eat enough protein by many so called experts. Then they also get these stupid "woman workouts" under the false idea that they can't train heavy because they are somehow to delicate. So they get tons of isolation and machines with high reps and weight so low it doesn't do a thing for them. Curves for example is an insult to all that is female in my opinion. They take the "woman workout" to new heights of stupidity. It's the same nutrition and exercise for both sexes. Women have genetics and hormones that make them look feminine and no amount of hard training is going to change that. So in that regard women really get a raw deal.

Another female issue I have a problem with is the old school feminists. They say a woman has to be career oriented and that they shouldn't want to please a man or take care of a home or do anything that was part of the traditional female role. However it is ok for a man to be career oriented or take care of the house, do things to please a woman, or do anything he wants. I think a woman should have all the same choices as a man, so if she wants to take part in anything traditional, that should be ok. I think feminism should be about freedom and not about emulating the traditional male roles.

So basically women may have different genetics and hormone levels that make it so they can't be as big or strong as a man. But they can still train beyond failure close to their max and eat a huge steak.

Post subject: thanks for your reply!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:37 pm 
thanks for your reply and i really mean that, i've not been taken seriously about this before, as a complainant or an observer of modern urban society.

please let me know what you think of the following:

these are facts that i am presenting that cannot be refuted because they are exactly that: facts. it's not a difficult concept. there is no such thing as a conspiracy theory when the facts are there for anyone to see or hear about first hand from those who regulate and produce them.

ritalin is "given" to children and young people who are "hyperactive". as an ex outdoor activities instructor i know that outdoor high adrenalin activities and sport in general is the only morally repectful way of "treating" "hyperactivity" which is forcibly induced by preventing people from exercising for most of their lives, hence the school for 6+ hrs a day for 10+ years which eventually induces stress > depression / apathy...these are physiological facts.

as you know exercise makes you feel good by producing seratonin / endorphines / dopamine / adrenalin etc so not exercising because you have to go to school or work does what...
reduces that feel good factor
which is directly proportional to how much you top up these hormones by exercising
which is directly proportional to how much you eat
which is directly proportional to how much money you have to spend on food
which is directly proportional to how much you earn which is directly proportional to how well paid your job is
which is directly proportional to how ones ambidextrously trained ( i'm a climber, kayaker etc )brain functions..
..or if you live and work on a farm or have your own bit of land to produce your own food and sell to others to buy tickets to go on vacation.
how many square miles has scotland got? how many people are there? farming is hard work which keeps you fit and with a sustainable way of living especially when you have people to work with. i think farming makes sense.

TimD wrote:
OK, Nicole, your question is very fuzzy at best, and bordering on off topic. I really have no idea of what you mean to be asking, and clearly define what you mean by the ritalin, for men and women, women only? No exercise and office jobs for women only? you're not clear on that point. Conspracy theories?
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:01 pm 

You lost me a little at the end, but your logic is solid, and yes, farming is good, as is most physical activity. I still don't understand the poll about women being given ritalin though.
Now, on the subject of "children in general" being given ritalin and other drugs for ADD, etc, I am very outspoken, and happen to agree with you. I'm 57, grew up in a post WWII environment. Kids went out and played, and unless you lived outside of a two mile radius of your school, you walked or rode your bike to school.There wasn't much public transportation where I grew up.You played sports during recess, had an actual Phys Ed class in schools all the way through High School, and when you got home from school, you walked or rode the bike down to the nearest park area and played sports. If you wanted to go anywere, you got yourself there.Parents weren't chauffeurs. After dinner, you did your studies. Period. no TV. Parents actually instilled discipline and respect into the kids, and you NEVER back-talked an adult, or especially a teacher. I I did that, the Principle would have nailed me first, called my father, then I'd have got a double whammy y Dad. There was no such thing as ADD recognized by any physicians. In my opinion, its due to multiple factors, those being lack of discipline, a terrible diet (we didn't have many fast food joints pushing grease and sugar on us back then, our parents gave us good whole food and sent us off to school with good food in a brown paper bag) and society in general trying to find an excuse for the above. Now, they fill the children up with drugs and ignore the root causes of the problem. OK, I'm done, end of rant.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:44 pm 

I have no idea what the poll is and dont understand your first post at all.

Some interesting information for you though: In recent years, studies show that the manner in which the lower grades in elementary school are taught cater more to females than males. They attribute this is more cooperative team learning and the removal of competitive activities.

Whether or not their reasoning is true, they have found that girls are doing better than boys on average in recent years.

On the points I am guessing your getting at in your post (still no idea about the poll):

What is wrong with sex education at twelve?

Women and Men have different caloric needs from different biochemistry.

Ritalin is probably misused in some cases but some people need treatment. Improvement could be made in diagnosis but I don't think there is anything wrong with the drug itself.

11 years? We go for 13 here and since college is pretty much the norm (atleast a 4 year degree if you want a chance in the job market), then 17 years of school is more likely.

Both women and men may have office jobs where they sit long hours. I am sure their supervisor wouldnt fire them if they took a 5-10 minute break to stretch or walk around the building. More large corporations are building exercise facilities on site so people can workout during their lunch hour or workout right after work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is nothing wrong with ritalin. It is a safe drug. ADD and ADHD are real medical conditions. There are brain scans that prove this. They show a distinct difference in peoples brains. The problem with your "facts" is they are not facts they are fantasy.

The reason ADD was not diagnosed before was people didn't notice it. Those kids were just labeled "bad" or "stupid". Understanding the brain is pretty new really.

People with ADHD do not have extra energy. The part of the brain that regulates much of their self control is underactive. Same reason people can't concentrate, the harder they try the lower the brain activity goes. An ADD brain is kind of like a TV set with all the channels on at the same time. That is part of what makes them distracted.

Stimulants increase activity in parts of the brain which greatly reduces the symptoms. I can tell you without medication I have constant chatter going on in my mind. With Concerta (time release ritalin), the chatter is much more quiet.

Imagine a bunch of kids yelling in your ears and tugging on your shirt begging you to look at this and look at that and listen to them. All while you are trying to concentrate. That is what it is like to have ADD. All that is going on in the persons mind.

It is a proven fact that the ADD brain is different. I get really tired of all the mental illness stigma and the ridiculous dark age nonesense people spout off about making it better by talking to someone or exercising. That is not going to fix a brain problem any more then it will fix a heart problem. The brain is many many times more complicated then the rest of the body put together and sometimes things go wrong. Why is it people can understand a defective heart valve, but can't wrap there minds around reduced neurotransmitter activity in the basal ganglia? Could it be because it's like comparing the flapper valve in my toilet tank to my computer? I could teach you how to replace a flapper valve in a couple minutes. Where as I could spend months just teaching you the basics of computer repair.

In addition do you know you can get mental illness from a head injury?

Just look at the scans on this site.

http://www.amenclinic.com/bp/atlas/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:22 am 

I'll concede the fact that ADD does in fact exist, however, I've seen enough interviews with the leading physicians specializing in the field, and they all agree that on average, 9 out of 10 cases are misdiagnosed as ADD, and children are put on drugs without going after root causes.
Tim

Post subject: vicious cycle
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:31 am 
Thanks for your reply tim! an interesting story you gave which i can relate to a little in the sense that my parents especially my mother would also find an excuse to hit me saying i was " being a little "s&%t" " and various other horrible things, of course when i got older, stronger and more sensible i realised it wasn't my fault. she won't be hitting me again. it is never never NEVER alright to hit a child. never. there is NO EXCUSE. hitting children ( or anyone else outwith consensual self defence martial arts training) is PHYSICAL ABUSE. telling children it's their fault because they "HAVE BEEN BAD" is "grooming for physical abuse" and "you know very well what i mean by that"!

never.
anyone want to dispute that you can talk to me in person so i can see who you are and make damn F^&*($g sure abusive people won't be justifying physical abuse anymore.

have a nice day, and i really mean that. :0) nc

ps. the "fight or flight" response in humans is part of our evolutionary physiology and needs to be maintained and encouraged to prevent:
stress > depression > ( irrational )anger > "hyperactivity" ergo high adrenalin outdoor activities and more sport in general.

respect is earned and people should be treated with respect no matter how old they are, reasoning and rationalisation should be done with children as they are not stupid and understand what you say to them without physical abuse punctuation, if someone has done something wrong they should be told why it's wrong and of course if this is done as a praise sandwhich thus: praise[constructive criticism]praise: eg: you have done very well today with scoring that goal at football........(normal conversation about good stuff with people always cushions any criticism as it is then just seen as another truthful comment based on fact, which always earns respect) you're room is a mess please tidy it, then if you like we can make dinner together, then all go for a walk to the beach.....that type of thing!

well done for reading thus far! it means you are not in the huff about what i said before and that you may actually stand a chance of me wanting to meet you!

nice point about the brown paper bag, see " other environmental oestrogens from petrochemical products e.g. ritalin and seratonin suppressors.
adios :0)

TimD wrote:
You lost me a little at the end, but your logic is solid, and yes, farming is good, as is most physical activity. I still don't understand the poll about women being given ritalin though.
Now, on the subject of "children in general" being given ritalin and other drugs for ADD, etc, I am very outspoken, and happen to agree with you. I'm 57, grew up in a post WWII environment. Kids went out and played, and unless you lived outside of a two mile radius of your school, you walked or rode your bike to school.There wasn't much public transportation where I grew up.You played sports during recess, had an actual Phys Ed class in schools all the way through High School, and when you got home from school, you walked or rode the bike down to the nearest park area and played sports. If you wanted to go anywere, you got yourself there.Parents weren't chauffeurs. After dinner, you did your studies. Period. no TV. Parents actually instilled discipline and respect into the kids, and you NEVER back-talked an adult, or especially a teacher. I I did that, the Principle would have nailed me first, called my father, then I'd have got a double whammy y Dad. There was no such thing as ADD recognized by any physicians. In my opinion, its due to multiple factors, those being lack of discipline, a terrible diet (we didn't have many fast food joints pushing grease and sugar on us back then, our parents gave us good whole food and sent us off to school with good food in a brown paper bag) and society in general trying to find an excuse for the above. Now, they fill the children up with drugs and ignore the root causes of the problem. OK, I'm done, end of rant.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are people who are misdiagnosed. I really find it hard to believe that it is 9 out of 10 though. That kind of sounds like it is based on older information before the brain connection was understood. I am talking about stuff that has been around less then 10 years, and unknown even to most experts until 5 or 6 years ago.

Nicole, after reading those posts I think you should stop listening to the Scientologists or Christian Scientists or whatever cult you are getting your information from. You should listen to your doctor and take your medication. I am thinking schizophrenia, but it does seem a bit mild. A similar personality disorder maybe? Either way you need help. Hopefully you at least talk to a psychologist about your past.

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:35 pm 
thanks ironman!

yes you are probably right that there are people who are misdiagnosed the ones that abuse and get away with it and are free to roam the streets despite having been reported ( like in my case ) to the police and the other "services". obviously none of these people have children themselves to worry about.

adios!

Ironman wrote:
There are people who are misdiagnosed. I really find it hard to believe that it is 9 out of 10 though. That kind of sounds like it is based on older information before the brain connection was understood. I am talking about stuff that has been around less then 10 years, and unknown even to most experts until 5 or 6 years ago.

Nicole, after reading those posts I think you should stop listening to the Scientologists or Christian Scientists or whatever cult you are getting your information from. You should listen to your doctor and take your medication. I am thinking schizophrenia, but it does seem a bit mild. A similar personality disorder maybe? Either way you need help. Hopefully you at least talk to a psychologist about your past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:43 pm 

Moderators, if I am way off base, please delete as quickly as possible.

Nicole,
Please do not take offense. Your ranting and often confusing replies are a concern for me with you mental well being. These forums are not the place to be talking about some of your issues. By no means do I say they should not be talked about, I am just not sure this is the place to discuss them. I hope the questions you ask are relevant to these forums and they just are not well articulated.

With the things you ask and your admitted history, I hope you have received or are receiving the appropriate couciling. I hope your interest in fitness is part of your healing or coping process. I believe that physical exercise is very important to mental well being. I will give you all the support, advice, and general tom foolery that I normally provide.

I say all this to you not to be critical but out of general concern. I know the English tend to be a lot more open and a lot less Victorian about issues than us Americans. All I am saying is that some of your posts would not be considered normal in my own little world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You're totally right Hoosegow. The posts have been kind of borderline so I have just let it be. But if she makes a psychotic rambling post that has nothing to do with the topics of this site I will delete it. I tend to be pretty liberal and I don't like to censor people unless I have to.

With that said, Nicole, if you could just stay on topic that would be for the best. And like I said in my last post please get some professional help.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]