ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I tried front squat on Saturday and have the usual first timer's complaint: It hurts!

In short, starting in the power cage, I got under the bar and did the cross-arm thing and got the bar onto my front delts, held there by having my arms raised a bit above parallel. The problem came just before getting down to parallel, where I could not stay upright enough to keep the bar on my delts. I'd dip forward a bit, and the bar would roll into the cut between biceps and delts, where it hurt like hell. I have bruises believe it or not.

Any and all suggestions very welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

First thing which springs to my mind is upper back extension, or lack of. Hard to say without a video or two Ken.

What sort of stance do you take when you front squat?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

@Knob, I'll make a video this Saturday when I try again. Not sure if the forward lean is upper back or lower back.

I'm doing same stance as my regular squat, feet wider than shoulder-width but not super-wide, toes pointed out a bit past 30 degrees.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:07 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Front squat love bites !

Make sure you have the bar on the right place. It should be touching your throat! Since you will NEVER fall back, this contact with the neck becomes comforting. A quick test is to go "no hands" - when you un rack, straight your arms out. If the bar stays put, it's in the right place. If not, then you probably need to get it tighter to your neck. It's good to do this every time you unrack until you get used to the position. Don't squat weight with the hands straight out, just do it momentarily to make sure the bars in the right place, then cross the arms again.

As you squat down you need to consciously push your elbows UP. Just think, "elbows UP elbows UP" throughout the rep.

Also, front squats are more straight up and down, rather than "back and out" like a back squat. You need more knee bend. If you shoot your hips back too far you'll fall forward, too.