ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 am 
n00b
n00b

I currently perform my workouts so that I do all exercises for a particular body part before moving to the next body part.

(e.g. Training chest and shoulders: Bench Press, Incline Press, Military Press, Behind Neck Press.)

Is there a preferred method for programming your workouts? Would it be more beneficial to do it in an alternating sort of fashion?

(e.g. Training chest and shoulders: Bench Press, Military Press, Incline Press, Behind Neck Press.)

For what it's worth, my goals are hypertrophy related.

My CPT training doesn't decisively state how to go about it, but they infer all exercises for the body part be done before moving on; Weider and others also subscribed to this idea, calling it the "flushing method." Any thoughts and / or sources would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:32 pm 

Bench Press, Incline Press, Military Press, Behind Neck Press are all compound pressing movements and are largely redundant. If you think you need them all, do your priority first. The order doesn`t matter much in this case.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:47 pm 
former lurker

Do the core movement first, then the assistance exercise. For example if it's a push day, do bench press, then after you are done with that exercise do pec flys (isolating the pecs) or tricep extension (isolating the tricep).

To save time people will do for example a push pull. Where you would exercise an unrelated area while the first area is resting. So it is an efficient use of time. You would have to keep an eye on hydration and nutrition, as you would burn a lot of glucose and maybe get fatigued earlier, maybe. So while you are resting for your next set on the bench press you do lat pull down.

If you are trying to build a certain aspect of a body area, you would do that exercise first, as your priority. For example if you wanted to build your upper chest you wouldn't exercise incline bench last.

If you do a workout that combines sets of power, strength, hypertrophy, and endurance, you would basically go in that order.