ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:22 pm 
former lurker

I am 55 years old and have done single 1x5 for my deadlifts since I started lifting about a year ago. I am thinking about following 5/3/1 fullbody program. A trainer at my gym says it is a great program but I may want to stick to single sets for my dead lifts instead of increasing the volumn. He suggested:

Week 1 1x5@75%
Week 2 1x3@85%
Week 3 1x1@ 95%
Week 4 Deload

What are your thoughts?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Crusier wrote:
I am 55 years old and have done single 1x5 for my deadlifts since I started lifting about a year ago. I am thinking about following 5/3/1 fullbody program. A trainer at my gym says it is a great program but I may want to stick to single sets for my dead lifts instead of increasing the volumn. He suggested:

Week 1 1x5@75%
Week 2 1x3@85%
Week 3 1x1@ 95%
Week 4 Deload

What are your thoughts?
Thanks

The Trainer

He's clueless.

5/3/1

This program will work for you.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:57 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Cruiser,

Welcome to our little community! It is good to have you.

I am 48 and also do 5/3/1 -- but not for deadlifts. The trainer you met is in good company, many people feel that volume on deadlifts is counter-productive. My own trainer has always said he doesn't like anything better than a triple for deadlifts. He prefers doubles and singles and speed work.

This past month I changed my program and did no deadlifting for a month. For half of that I was not even in the gym because I had felt a cold coming on and did not want to get full blown sick. Yesterday I walked back into the gym not really feeling up to much and set a 10# personal best, breaking a 14 month old plateau that had seemed insurmountable. That has only happened once, and you cannot generalize too much from one weird data point, but my own experience is really matching up to those who say not to hit deadlift the way you hit squat, bench, and press.

But before I ramble on, what are your goals? Do you powerlift just for general health? Do you compete or do you want to someday? How long have you been doing it? Is your deadlift going up right now with what you are doing?

It will be much easier for me and others to share experience and point you to resources if we know the answers to those questions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:57 pm 

Wave A. Warmup, 75% x 5, 80% x 5, 85% x 5

Wave B. Warmup, 80% x 3, 85% x 3, 90% x 3

Wave C. Warmup, 75% x 5, 85% x 3, 95% x 1

Wave D. Deload wave – 60% x 5, 65% x 5, 70% x 5

That came from here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workou ... ystem.html

Read the book anyway. It has a lot of good stuff.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:45 pm 
former lurker

KenDowns wrote:

But before I ramble on, what are your goals? Do you powerlift just for general health? Do you compete or do you want to someday? How long have you been doing it? Is your deadlift going up right now with what you are doing?

It will be much easier for me and others to share experience and point you to resources if we know the answers to those questions.

I lifted when I was a teenager and into my mid-20s. I became focused on family and career and stopped. I started back about a year ago after a mild heart attack scared the hell out of me. I followed Starting Strength starting with just the bar. My current lifts are:

Dead lifts 225 lb
Squat 185 lb
Bench 140 lb
Press 100 lb

I do not do cleans due to arthritis in my knees. I walk 45 minutes almost every day and looking to ramp up my conditioning. My current weight is 170 and my goal is general health.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

@Cruiser, I guess that leaves only this question: is your deadlift going up with what you are doing now?

If yes, keep doing it until it stops working.

If no, then it's time to change.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:08 am 

I suspect that we don't have to be as afraid of volume on DL as many people say. I like 5-3-1. I used it for deads for a long time, and was happy with it. My goals were and are similar to yours. I started DLing at about the age you are now. If you do 5-3-1, just be conservative about what training max you start with. Far, far better to start too low than to start too high. And when you think about it, the volume ain't really that high. Once a cycle you do 3x5, but then it's 9 or 10 reps per workout, and not that heavy, for the most part.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:29 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

If you are going into more volume on Deadlifts, I would start with a little lower weight training max than you are used to.