Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bulk or cut
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey guys,

I plan to start some serious gym work-out, so I need your opinion about which goal should I set up to myself.

Weight: 180 lb
Height: 6'2"

My BMR is fine, but I think I have a pretty high bf, and the biggest problem is my belly which is too big for this weight, otherwise I look kinda skinny. I'm wondering should I first cut off the fat and then start bulking, or just start with some clean bulk?
Thanks in advance for your responses and sorry if my English is bad.

Post subject: Re: Bulk or cut
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:56 am 

If you try cutting right now, you will likely look skinnier than you want and if you try bulking, you likely will become fatter than you want. This is the dilema that skinny/fat people find themselves in.

At your weight, your main problem is lack of muscle. Work on building strength and cleaning up your diet, focussing on real, unprocessed foods. Don't specifically try to bulk or cut and your fat loss will take care of itself.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It depends. How do you want to look? How huuge do you want to get? It's all about your own goal. If you feel like too much of a stick figure, you need more muscle. If you are not in a hurry, increase the bodyweight slowly, getting more muscle. Or do a bigger bulk getting muscle and fat. It will be more effective but comes with a little too much extra.

You want lower bodyfat? If slowly, eat clean and lift heavy stuff, be consistent. Results will come. Or do a faster cut with more weight lost, some muscle or strength as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 am 
n00b
n00b

Beginner wrote:
Hey guys,

I plan to start some serious gym work-out, so I need your opinion about which goal should I set up to myself.

Weight: 180 lb
Height: 6'2"

My BMR is fine, but I think I have a pretty high bf, and the biggest problem is my belly which is too big for this weight, otherwise I look kinda skinny. I'm wondering should I first cut off the fat and then start bulking, or just start with some clean bulk?
Thanks in advance for your responses and sorry if my English is bad.

If your bodyfat is over 12-14%, bulking is not a good option. You should get down under 14% before you really get a good bulker going.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
former lurker

for most of us building muscle isnt an easy task, There is nothing worse than putting on some nice hard earned muscle and lose it while cutting. I have made many mistakes while dieting down, actually I have never done it properly. In my opinion I would shed the fat first, then build. once you diet down to your desired body fat pecentage, then slowly add the calories back to your diet. Check your body fat every month and make adjustments as necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:57 am 

Strength is the foundation. Doesn't matter much what you want to do long-term. Build strength first, and you'll have the tools you need to work on your goals. What Stu said. It is not for nothing that he is a Deific Wizard.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:50 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Nevermind.

Last edited by Drake Van Steed on Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:42 am 

It's been almost a year since the OP posted this. I doubt he's following this anymore.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley