ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 am 
former lurker

All,

I messed up my elbow doing weighted chins and low-bar squats (golfer's elbow/medial epicondylitis). I've been rehabbing it and working through the pain, but it isn't going away. At this point I realized I need to drop the chins completely for a while as I rehab it so I can fix the underlying issue. But weighted chins are really key to my back/lat development so I don't know what to do.

In a nutshell: any pulling exercise that requires bending the arm is a no go. This includes rows/pull ups/etc. I can still do deads with minimal pain as long as I use straps, but I feel like deads alone will not sufficiently work my lats and back like weighted chins do. I am probably out of luck, but I did want to see if anyone had any suggestions so my back muscles don't atrophy (joking) in the meantime while I rehab. Especially lats.

Thank you.

PS. I researched Exrx and found the barbell pullover which might work even though it is bent elbow because there is no dynamic bending or unbending motion but rather it is static. I will try that. Interested in other straight arm suggestions, if any exist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@esc:

Try this

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 pm 
former lurker

As previously posted, the straight armed pull down seems like a good isolation exercise for the lats. Multi-muscle options might include the ab wheel and superman pushup.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:48 am 

How about:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LWPSYixdnl4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I assume that you have experimented with different grips for pullups, including neutral (palms facing)? Have you tried a stirrup grip on a strap that can pivot freely? I made some grips out of 1" webbing threaded through a piece of PVC pipe, that I can loop around a chin-up bar, and have a grip that is essentially neutral, but will rotate freely in use.

Also, things like back raises don't use the arms at all. They emphasize lower back more than upper and shoulders, but they may be worth including.

Welcome to the forum. You're obviously an experienced lifter, so please jump into conversations!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Not a direct answer to your question but I've found that hammer curls and Bent Over Rows supersetted in between exercises that would inflame my elbow helped with the pain tremendously.

Further, after dealing with a particularly nagging elbow pain for nearly a week, my trainer had me do DB Row Hell Sets. He had me grab a single weight DB; 60 lb, sets incremented in 5 reps until I reached 50. The pain was gone once I was finished and did not appear again until I did another stupid thing in the weight room, lol.

So... alternating arms with as little rest in between as possible.
60 X 5
60 X 10
60 X 15
60 X 20
etc, etc,
60 X 50