ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:09 pm 

Are you complaining to the management? Loud and clear?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Management don't care about guys like us. They only care about what the masses want... and that's a bunch of cool looking contraptions to take their mind away from doing the real work needed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:21 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

My gym is current going through a complete refurb. It's interesting. I joined the gym as a member and newbie about 8 years ago. At that time, the free weights area was tiny. One half rack, 2 DB benches, some DB's, a bench press, and smith, all crammed into a space you would struggle to park your car on. The rest of the gym was machines and mostly cardio, and most of these machines were consistently being used.

I remember they expanded the free weights area. Made it about 3-4 times the size, more benches, more DB's, an extra rack. This was to cater for the fact that the old free weights was way too busy now. They made room by getting rid of "some" of the treadmills and cross trainers. Members never noticed because these machines weren't as busy as before.

Up until now, and for the last couple of years, the bigger free weights area is far too small, mostly always mobbed, and you're lucky if half the cardio machines are being used at busy times.

The refurb will be finished in about 6 weeks, has been going on for 4. It will see a small selection of cardio machines hidden away in a corner, and the whole ground floor is pretty much going to be free weights. We will have more and heavier DB's, about 12 DB benches, 2 flat bench press, 1 incline, 1 decline, 3 half racks, 3 cages, 3 lifting plat forms, land mines, ropes, even monkey bars.

Times are changing. Gyms need to decide whether they want to cater for those who want to train and get results, or those who just like to get out the house for a couple of hours. Some gyms don't want lots of bars, racks, heavy DB's, and loads of discs, because that'll just attract lots of big scary meat heads who "train".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:30 am 

Kenny, my gym is going for a refurb soon too but it will be more than a refurb. The South Park St. YMCA is being closed May 30 and then being torn down along with the CBC building next door. A new complex will be built on the site, 17 stories and will include a 70K Sq ft new YMCA to open in 2017. It's quite exciting but will be quite disruptive over the next 3 years, especially for the 40 staff that will be laid off. http://thechronicleherald.ca/metro/1191 ... o-be-built

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:34 pm 

I love the new gym I've joined. It's got dumbells up to 50k, 2 power racks and all the machines I like. It's clean, friendly and never gets too busy. I hope they never change it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:13 am 

Our new owners have a really interesting way of running it.

It's basically run by 2 companies. There's the gym, then the PT company, who contracts out trainers who are self employed (like myself).

The gym itself made all reception and sales staff (apart from one sales manager) redundant. None of their gyms have receptionist or sales staff. So, they save about 8-10 yearly salaries straight away.

They outsource pretty much everything to third parties. Payments are taken by a third party. Maintenance, , cleaning, equipment, etc. So, the only actual "staff" they have at each gym is 2 managers - in our case the old General Manager and old Sales Manager got kept.

Our receptionists are now these pods that you access via finger prints. Amazing how many people complained about this (then ran out to get the new iPhone 5.... because of the finger print feature... but i digress). They have a very straight forward membership - 12 month contract, monthly, or pay 1 or 2 years in one sum. No wild offers or anything, that's the options and apparently they rarely change. They try and get members to join themselves online or using these computers at the entrance to the gym.

They don't believe in "sales staff" in a gym. They believe a potential members first interaction should be with a self employed personal trainer so they can discuss goals, fitness etc. They don't have any "fitness staff" or "gym instructors" on a salary. They believe if all trainers are running their own business and responsible for their own income, then they're likely to be better quality (which after 4 years doing this, is definitely true!). Even the cafe is run by someone self employed.

They also don't believe in inductions. They say an induction is showing a new member your worst side first. Normally the least qualified staff showing you how to use a treadmill and sending you on your way. Every new member now gets a posture and movement screen and lifestyle / diet consultation (if they don't want it, they don't get pestered) from a personal trainer.

The PT company basically run the gyms. They have a big influence in how things happen, and what equipment etc. Largely because the gym itself believes trainers who regularly use the gym will know best. Genius, right? Also, I don't know why I haven't heard of these guys. There's some amazing trainers. I've actually booked a PT session in Manchester in April with a polish trainer who has trained world ranking weight lifters and powerlifters and is an absolute animal himself (just squatted 360KG - RAW!). Everyone involved in the company are active trainers, too, so it's not one of these PT companies run by people who have never trained anyone. The MD of the company takes many of the courses - they turn up at gyms and give seminars etc.

They also have a really tough 3 stage interview process to join, which we all got put through. Includes case studies and fitness tests. 85% of trainers don't make it. Their tag line is, "85% of trainers need not apply", unlike most gyms who just employ anyone.

The main difference is as well as paying rent we need to give hours, so I need to give 10 hours per week to the gym, although the rent is slightly less than before. At any given time, 2 trainers are "on shift" along with at least one "apprentice" - these young guys on a government apprentice scheme who come in at an early age to learn how to do this properly.

A breath of fresh air compared to most gyms!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 am 

that actually sounds dynamite!

Between you and me, (and anyone else who reads it) what's your opinion of Biosig?

Also, answer my PM you pig!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:34 am 

I'm still on the fence with biosig. Our MD and many of the regional managers love it and use it and encourage us all to get certified in it, although worth saying they don't force us and seem to be quite encouraging of us going our own way with this stuff. The MD says, "this is what I do, and what has worked and still does work for me, if you have a better way than by all means, go for it".

Poliquin actually isn't part of it anymore, which is interesting.

I find the hormonal stuff really interesting although, the "fix" regardless of findings seems to pretty much always be the same - cut the crap, eat more protein, more veggies, get better sleep, etc. Whilst it doesn't seem to change the outcome or the "fix", the info you get from it is interesting.

It's like body fat callipers. I've been doing this a lot more the last 6 months or so just to learn. Honestly, it's not any more useful than scales and a measuring tape, but it's "interesting".

I don't believe there's much research to validate fat distribution and hormones, although I believe there's "some" showing correlation with the cortisol (belly button site), insulin and blood sugar (love handles and subscap), and low testosterone (man boobs!). There may be more, this is off the top of my head so take it with a grain of salt, it's one of those things i've been meaning to dig deeper into but not got there yet.

I don't really like the heavy use/recommendation of supps regarding biosig.

Yeh, so, in short - it's interesting.... But i don't really know enough yet.

What do you think of it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 am 

I dunno, I think Poliquin's always been way ahead of his time but some of his supp recommendations get a little extreme, and I've always cynically viewed Biosig as a way of him pushing his extreme doses of supps (40g of BCAA a day anyone? 20g fish oil?) on people. Not to sure what to think about the fact he's not part of it anymore.

The hormonal distribution of fat is hardly new either; oestrogenic fat distribution around your thighs or whatever, "stress" fat around your gut etc. Can it be fixed with supps? Possibly not "fixed" but I dare say it could be helped, and I'm sure that eating better, exercising more etc can absolutely help. That's a given, at least it is in my eyes. It's all parts of the same puzzle I suppose.

It's funny, I know a few folk who've had Biosig done and they're always happy with it but it makes me roll my eyes a bit. For example, I knew a guy who was in great shape but just wanted that last little bit of fat off. He did his Biosig and finally got rid of the fat. Thing is, the Biosig guy had him eat nothing except chicken breast and broccoli for 2 weeks! Well no $h1t that got rid of your stubborn fat, did you really need biosig to tell you that if you take in absolutely no carbs or fat for 2 weeks that you'll lose weight? All the other folk have the same kind of story - "I was told to eat organic veg and cut sugar," etc.

Not to sound really cynical as the management in your gym sound saintly, but I can absolutely see why it could be used as a fancy sales pitch for new gym members. People like scientific sounding stuff, we did it all the time in the supplement shop ("Yeah bro this here supp contains tri-bonded pentapeptides providing fast releasing, slow digesting amino acids directly into your fascia during the anabolic, post-workout window. Gotta radically hypertrphy that sarcoplasm, y'know?), so I can see how dazzling someone with hormone talk and explaining all the different ways you can fix their fat bastardism could lure someone into a gym membership.

Not saying that's what's happening in your gym, as from your post about the new management it's clearly not, but I dunno. The cynic in me thinks Biosig is just another Vipr tube, bosu ball, silk aminos, test-booster nonsensey thing that'll come and go like every other fad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:09 am 

People like to be told what they want to hear.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 am 

stuward wrote:
People like to be told what they want to hear.

you're a very handsome man with fantastic taste in music Stu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm 

Larry Scott died yesterday, sadly he'd had alzheimers for a few years and it got him in the end.

One of the best physiques of the golden age had ole Larry.

Attachments:
images.jpeg
images.jpeg [ 6.57 KiB | Viewed 1066 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:43 pm 

"Are you complaining to the management? Loud and clear?" - Jungledoc

I did complain, and so did several others, but no one seems to care.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:32 pm 

I got a new leopard gecko in Wednesday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:10 pm 

Something always kinda bothered me about the Flash. He has super-speed, but he's not invulnerable like Superman, so what happens if he trips while running faster than the speed of sound? ..... There would be nothing left but a bloody skid mark a mile long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265  Next