ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

So I've never really slept very well, and my problem is essentially that I can't "switch off" at night. I have heard the state described as "tired and wired" which sums me up perfectly.

Enter phosphatidylserine. This groovy sounding supp works to block cortisol, that nasty bastard stress hormone that makes you fat and stops you sleeping. It doesn't end there though, as scientific literature has shown all sorts of cognitive benefits and neuroprotective qualities such as treatment of age-related memory decline, Alzheimer's, ADHD and depression.

I'm not too worried about the fat loss aspect (although it couldn't hurt, I suppose) or really any of the other benefits but I am interested in the stress reduction claims (hypercorticolism reduction).

Dosing is 800mg a day, based on an overview I read from The Alternative Medicine Review (not a subscriber, saw it posted online). Will dose it at 400mg am/pm.

I'll report back as to any benefits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:37 pm 

update on this already, haha.

I'll be taking the PS with my evening meal - not pre-bed - as it needs to be taken with meals so as to not cause nausea, and not immediately before bed as it can cause a dopamine surge which will make you restless.

another update:

closer inspection has revealed that the product I have bought is - get this - 100% PS, 20%. Which means it is 100% of a product that is only 20% PS! All of a sudden the amount I need to take of the product has increased 5 fold, and 125 days' worth has now become 25 days worth (at 800mg/day).

Hmm. Oh well. I think what I will do is take a single 600mg dose with my dinner. 600mg/day is another dose I have seen recommended for the treatment of stress so I'll give it a bash. It also means my supply will last a month, which is about the minimum I would expect from a pouch of any supplement (it now works out a little under [1 million dollars] a day).

stupid myprotein.com and their sneaky bastard ways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:44 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Are you sure that you have phosphatidylserine direct from bovine cortex and not any other source? Because according to Examine.com the other forms of said supplement won't effect your plasma cortisol.

Also take note that both of the cited studies talked about exercise-induced cortisol changes. Cortisol is highly connected with a circadian rhythm, as it is naturally high in the morning, and lower in the evening (it begins to rise during sleep) so exercise might not affect the cortisol response anyhow. Also I'm not aware of any studies or research on how cortisol would actually block your sleep? The way I see it, is that when you are going to sleep, your body is switching from the sympathetic nervous system to parasympathetic system, and thus you will relax, and you cortisol-levels will drop. So going to sleep lowers your cortisol, but I'm not aware that having high cortisol would be a problem? Having you sympathetic NS on for too long and having stress will surely be a cause for your lack of sleep, but cortisol is more of a product of those issues.

Have you tried something like ZMA, or traditional cheap ways like meditation and diaphragmatic breathing exercises to get you parasympathetic nervous system rocking?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:30 am 

yeah I got the PS from soy which is apparently totally useless, thus rendering my experiment completely pointless...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
yeah I got the PS from soy which is apparently totally useless, thus rendering my experiment completely pointless...

Not necessarily. It might have a placebo effect. Or atleast it could've had it.

And the soy version still most likely has those cognitive function improving benefits, so you might want to steer your focus there (pun intended)? It still has some interesting uses. And there's a possible effect of improving your workouts by decreasing fatique as well. So don't throw that stuff away.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:14 pm 

Dub wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Not necessarily. It might have a placebo effect. Or atleast it could've had it.

And the soy version still most likely has those cognitive function improving benefits, so you might want to steer your focus there (pun intended)? It still has some interesting uses. And there's a possible effect of improving your workouts by decreasing fatique as well. So don't throw that stuff away.

you want it? Come round my house and you can have it...

Na I'll still use it, why not eh?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:01 am 
Rookie
Rookie

phosphatidylserine by the Vitamin shoppe has theirs at 100mg per capsule 1 capsule per day. is this better than the 20% one you found/had?

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but this pertains to me and i was interested.

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

For my nonconformity, society whips me with it's displeasure. -Emerson

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:37 pm 

KittenJ wrote:
phosphatidylserine by the Vitamin shoppe has theirs at 100mg per capsule 1 capsule per day. is this better than the 20% one you found/had?

I know I'm reviving an old thread, but this pertains to me and i was interested.

it would depend on whether that 100mg was more than 20%. I would also check make sure it's not derived from soy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

This is what the label says:

Phosphatidylserine 200 mg Supplement Facts

Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 SOFTGEL
Servings Per Container 60

Amount Per
Serving

CALORIES 10
CALORIES FROM FAT 5
TOTAL FAT 1 Gm
PHOSPHATIDYL SERINE 200 Mg

Other Ingredients:
Medium Chain Triglycerides, Gelatin, Caramel Color. Contains Soy.

Read more: Phosphatidylserine 200 mg by Solgar - Buy Phosphatidylserine 200 mg (200 MG ) 60 Softgels at vitamin shoppe
Follow us: @VitaminShoppe on Twitter | THEVITAMINSHOPPE on Facebook

Do not listen to those who weep and complain, for their disease is contagious.—Og Mandino

For my nonconformity, society whips me with it's displeasure. -Emerson