ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

You cant really isolate lats because its compound.

Here is problem I noticed: Your rear delts will always go failure first. Once 1 muscle goes to failure rest will automatically shut down. So you cant train them in full potential.

Your wrist are not problem and if they are you can use straps. Your biceps are problem though but very minimal if you dont straight them fully at negative phase. Need bend them 145 degrees so they work mostly as stabilizers.

Best excercise is lat pulldown on cables. You sit on bench in middle back straight and you pull with both hands towards you from side. I dont know exact name for this excercise.

This movement is very minimal for rear delts but very strong on using scapula which is stronger and thus failure goes to lats first as long as keep arms bit bent.

Widegrip normal pulldown i can 180lbs x 8 reps without jerking. But side pulls i can do 280lbs x 8 reps both hands counted. This weight difference alone tells you something about rear delts

After you done this you can do isolation movements for rear delt+bicep. I do them on my chest day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Rear delts shouldn't be a limiting factor in pull-downs/pull-ups unless your rear delts are very weak (proportionally). The rear delts a more involved in rows than vertical pulling.

The best rear delt exercise I've found is rear delt rows, which is a compound movement, not an isolation exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

It's actually close to bench press. The wider your grip is the more it takes on your chest but even with wider stance it's still very heavy for triceps eather way. If you reduce it to shoulder width it comes actually very triceps dominant.

Same thing with pulling. It's your rear delts that is doing pulling with lats. Especially in close grip pulldown it has even bigger role.

You have to remember that just because movement is compound it doesn't mean all muscles are doing equal work. Your example of rear delt is where is doing 95% of work and it will go to failure first. If 1 muscle goes to failure then another muscle can't assist it.

My example is where latissium dorsi is assisted with rear delts with less involvment (because your elbows are moving less in motion). You get assisted more with scapula so it's actually better excercise for middle/lower trapps than any typical pulling movement. Though it's not optimal for them because they can actually handle stronger load. You test yourself by sitting on row machine and instead pulling your arms back you pull just your shoulderblades. They can handle crazy amount of load up to 300lbs alone. I actually think that even my example you will failure first on rear delts but at least your lats are doing bigger work weight wise.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:33 pm 

The rear deltoid's main function is to pull to elbow back, not down, so I don't see why they would be a major limiting factor in pull-downs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 am 
Rookie
Rookie

They're strongest at transverse extension yes but they play very strong part in extension.

I can't do very wide grip because it messes up my shoulders with heavy weights but medium range where you do chinups or even closer range with v-bar it's very posterior delt dominant.

If you do it wide or behind neck it will act more as shoulder adduction.

medium/close it turns into extension where you use small posterior muscle to assist you with heavy weights and in my opinion not optimal fot lat training.

I just can see from weights and how strongly I can feel that failure comming in my posterior delts. I don't think they're weak eather. It's movement itself.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:57 am 
former lurker

Regular exercising would keep our body fit and healthy.Which is the best exercise to maintain our self fit and also to reduce weight easily.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:02 am 

There is no best exercise. It depends on your strengths and weaknesses, your goals, the equipment you have available and your personal preferences. If an exercise is not something you enjoy doing, you won't do it so it's useless to you.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley