Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: food vs synthetic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Question for people who take pills:

Could you eat safely everyday: 140 protein of whey+Rice/pasta for energy/fibers and loads of pills for minerals/fats/vitamins? This would be actually extremely cheap. It would cost you like 2 bucks/day and you get all your nutritions. Now if we forget about taste of eating crappy rice everyday, I'm asking you would you be 100% confident that you will get all your nutritions and safely too?

If not then why do you do exceptions on some vitamins?

I only understand d-vitamin (only in winter) because in modern day allmost all fatty fish that contains good amount of d-vitamin are too polluted to eat them few amounts of everyday even if it's just few. Mercury will never leave from your body. Well if you don't see winter you could easily get enough just from sun and few other products to get them daily and so you won't need it.

But other minerals/vitamins you get easily and safely from food so I don't see reason to take them from pills. Only reason would be financial. It costs me 10dollars/day to get all my nutritions and 3500 kcal purely from food. Iodide is only one that's very hard to get recommended daily amount if you don't want to be dependant on mineral salt. I take it from seaweed groats

Personally I don't trust anything that's synthetic. I could be wrong but if I'm not willing to eat just calories+whey+pills then I surely won't do exceptions on any particular ones. 1. I think you won't get 100% identical nutritions from it compared to food. It says so in label but I don't believe you can mimic exact 100% same nutrition molecules in lab that contains in food especially on every single mineral/vitamin out there. 2. I also think they're not safe in long run.

Post subject: Re: food vs synthetic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:35 pm 

You could do it but getting your vitamins and minerals from synthetic sources is not as good as from whole food. Depending on where you live, sources like animal organs or seaweed may be affordable and are very high in vitamins and minerals.

As for fish, it depends on the source. Only the top predator fish like Albacore Tuna, Shark, Swordfish, etc are really high in mercury. Most cold water fish are high in omega 3. Sardines especially are very low in mercury but high in omega 3 and other nutrients.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yeah I'm actually eating can of sardines per day, it has 5ug d-vitamin and it has low mercury too. Good amount of omegas though most likely not enough for hardcore athlethe. Fishoil is synthetic but not like pills. Maybe drinking bit of it is not that bad.

If someone can suggest other good d-vitamin sources much appreciated. I get 2ug from 2eggs. and 2ug from chicken. That's it. Less than 10. Atm using 25ug d3 pills.

Or is 14ug enough D if I consume 2cans instead. Then I could drop all synthetic and hope 200grams of sardines wont have enough mercury in long run

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:06 pm 

If you're eating a can of sardines a day then you're getting enough omega 3. There is a limit to how much is useful. Th optimal amount is not known but it's far less than the mega-dose amount of a few years ago.

Vitamin D from food is another story. You do get some but it's far less than if you get a little sun. Get outside daily and get some sun on your face at least.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:51 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

get yourself some Vitamin D3 softgels. It's very important that it's D3, and they come in softgel form.

vitamin D is one thing that I believe there is definitely a need to supplement. I'd say that fish oil and D3 are the two things that everyone should be taking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 am 

if you buy vitamins, go with d3 plus calcium. It'll assimilate better. The two pretty much ;go hand in hand with each other. The whole multi vitamin complexes are usually junk and unnecessary and synthetics are never better than natural. But for synthetics D3 = the good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:33 am 

ironmaiden708 wrote:
if you buy vitamins, go with d3 plus calcium. It'll assimilate better. The two pretty much ;go hand in hand with each other. The whole multi vitamin complexes are usually junk and unnecessary and synthetics are never better than natural. But for synthetics D3 = the good stuff.

what sort of calcium dose? How are you on calcium supplementation in general?

I supplement with 1000iu D3 a day if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:10 pm 

robertscott wrote:
ironmaiden708 wrote:

what sort of calcium dose? How are you on calcium supplementation in general?

I supplement with 1000iu D3 a day if that makes any difference.

In general all vitamin supplementation is unnecessary. The exceptions being vitamin d and calcium. Usually 1g of calcium is suffice. It's unnecessary for most( assuming a sound diet), but it never killed anybody. The at risk crowd are those who are elderly and more so women are the ones who should take it. But another way to look at it is how much good is taking calcium if you already have osteoporosis? So maybe everybody starting at a young age should take it. So taking 1000 iu d3 plus 1 g calcium would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:41 pm 

excellent, thank you very much for that.

While I certainly don't think I need extra calcium, I like the idea of increased D3 absorption.

I agree with you that there's no need to supplement the other vits (although I sometimes do consider tocopherols...)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I counted that I actually get more than enough calcium from food sources. I dont remember exact from which I got it mostly. You can find it in allmost any product unlike D which is mostly in fat poisoned fish.

Anyway im not going to use anything

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:47 am 
n00b
n00b

The vitamin D supplementation thing can be interesting...there is some unpublished research demonstrating that mice lacking vitamin D in their diet tend to eat more food and gain more weight(in this case it is fat) than mice with proper vitamin D in their diet. They also tended to drink more amphetamine water (yes, water with amphetamine, at addictive levels, mixed into it). Together, it suggests that a lack of vitamin D can produce a "hypo-satiety" in the reward system (things are less rewarding than normal). An alternative explanation, I guess, is that food and drugs end up being more rewarding, or "hyper-satiety" because they take more. Hard to ask a mouse that I guess (there are ways to tell the difference but those studies were not done)

Also, injecting these animals with high doses of calcitriol (hormonally active form of D3) seems to reverse these processes.

But there are like infinite caveats to the study (perhaps why it is unpublished :O)