ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:02 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"1. I consider big compound movements bad because it allows you to use much heavier weight. Now you have X+X+X+X=? total weight on your muscle/spine/tendon/rotators.

2. While removing big compounds You have X=? or X+X=? You're using much less weight. Also add fact that you have advantage of using wide range of motion so you have to lower even more weight to hit failure.

Since #2 gives equal muscle/strenght development I do not see reason to do #1.

Now we asking question: What's the aim?

For athlethic purpouse you train muscles stronger/bigger and adapt it to sport. You don't need compound movement for that. Key word here is adapt. You're good at what you do. By training your sport you have all your motoric skills but by adding strenght/muscle you can improve in it.

For health purpouse #2 is superior because full range of motion + less weights allow you do equal work as #1 but less % chance for injury." - excore

This is complete BS. You're not the first person to try substituting machines and isolation exercises for free-weight compound exercises. It simply doesn't work. In fact, if your claims were true, it would mean that successful athletes, bodybuilders, coaches and trainers everywhere are all doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm 

The two most common reasons people avoid compound lifts are
A) Because they require more effort.
B) Because they're afraid of the weight.

You've already admitted to the latter.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:20 pm 

Don't feed it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:11 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

hoosegow wrote:
Don't feed it.

On this post excore didn't come across as a troll.

Too early to write him off as a member of this board

EDIT: Sorry hoose, you were right and I was wrong about excore - this morning, he posted some nonsense and stuward gave him a straight answer. Excore's response? He posted the same thing again.

Time to write him off as a contributor here

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:44 am 
former lurker

When done properly, the bench press recruits many more fibers than any isolation exercise could (I.e. flys) for the chest. Furthermore, compound movements stimulate the release of more growth hormone, and the load will stimulate osteoblasts to build thicker, and denser bone. Compound movements save more time in the gym, and allow you to pack on those plates, which you can't do with single joint movements. I would say if you are experiencing rotator cuff issues it's most likely due to a muscular imbalance., or possible history of injury to one of your rotator muscles (probably external). Also, a very common mistake is to flare out the shoulders, which taxes the delts and rotator cuff much more than tucked in elbows. You will find that you may do less weight, but it will do less wear and tear on your shoulders in the long run (especially with heavy loads). I suggest reevaluating your form if you are having rotator cuff issues, or if you fear you may in the future. Also, try warming up with some external rotator movements. You should be able to move 10% of your bench press weight for atleast 10 reps during an external movement. If you fail to due so, you're benching too much for those small rotator muscles. Your biggest lifts are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:09 am 
Rookie
Rookie

ebraun wrote:
When done properly, the bench press recruits many more fibers than any isolation exercise could (I.e. flys) for the chest. Furthermore, compound movements stimulate the release of more growth hormone, and the load will stimulate osteoblasts to build thicker, and denser bone. Compound movements save more time in the gym, and allow you to pack on those plates, which you can't do with single joint movements. I would say if you are experiencing rotator cuff issues it's most likely due to a muscular imbalance., or possible history of injury to one of your rotator muscles (probably external). Also, a very common mistake is to flare out the shoulders, which taxes the delts and rotator cuff much more than tucked in elbows. You will find that you may do less weight, but it will do less wear and tear on your shoulders in the long run (especially with heavy loads). I suggest reevaluating your form if you are having rotator cuff issues, or if you fear you may in the future. Also, try warming up with some external rotator movements. You should be able to move 10% of your bench press weight for atleast 10 reps during an external movement. If you fail to due so, you're benching too much for those small rotator muscles. Your biggest lifts are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

As someone with a Massage therapy and bioscience background, I applaud your in depth analysis of this.

That said, just because you're doing a bench press or an incline press doesn't mean you have to use 300lbs or max out your weights. If you've got weaker triceps/biceps like I do, you can go below your weight max.

Just saying...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:45 pm 

"That said, just because you're doing a bench press or an incline press doesn't mean you have to use 300lbs or max out your weights. If you've got weaker triceps/biceps like I do, you can go below your weight max." - KittenJ

I don't understand your point. ... Loading will depend on a number of factors including your current strength level and your goals. If you're training for strength, then you'll definitely want to work up to heavy weights. You just can't get strong without lifting heavy. ... Meanwhile, for hypertrophy loading is less important, although you'll still want to select a weight that's challenging. ... In either case, loading isn't static. You'll almost certainly want to progressively increase the weight over time (unless you're only interested in maintenance).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:20 am 

Why wouldn't you use 300 pounds for high reps?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:43 pm 

hoosegow wrote:

Because I CAN'T, ok? Are you satisfied?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

robertscott wrote:
hoosegow wrote:

Because I CAN'T, ok? Are you satisfied?

lulz robert.

I'm just saying.. His argument seems to be that if you're bench pressing, you've got to put on so much weight you kill yourself. If thats what people want to do, who am I to say no? I'm just saying, it doesn't HAVE to be done.
And I said 300 lbs cuz only in my dreams could I imagine benching 300. I'm lucky if I don't die on a 25lb bar :neu:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am 

Hoosegow was just pointing out the 300lbs is light for him. He likes to point out his species is stronger than most humans.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

stuward wrote:
Hoosegow was just pointing out the 300lbs is light for him. He likes to point out his species is stronger than most humans.

Thanks stu :) That makes me feel better now that I understand. I like this site, I need to get used to some of the humors of people here.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:27 pm 

Harry And The Hendersons was basically a hoosegow biopic

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:51 pm 

Skunk ape power.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:07 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

rofl