ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Read me and criticize me
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

I am wordy and am trying to follow the sticky, so beware. If you need a TLDR, here it is: I have a fat face.

Hi, I am pyg. I played sports all during my childhood and adolescence and was active in college. I am now turning 30 next week, married, have two kids, etc. During the past 8 years that I have been married I have not been active aside from the occasional hike (I live in Denver). I have always been a little overweight, but around the birth of my first kid I ballooned up to 236. Last fall I started eating a little better without doing much research and I went down to 224.

Here is my motivation:
-Health - I have pretty bad exercise induced asthma and obstructive sleep apnea, I want to live to 100 backpacking till I die with my great grandkids
-Activities - I want to be able to do a 14er (backpack a 14,000 foot mountain) with my wife
-Appearance - I have a rather good looking wife and needless to say I am not good lookin myself, that isn't fair to her.
-I need a job.....bad - Who wants to hire a fat guy?

My goals:
-Get down to ~11% and be 190ish in body weight by July
-Be able to actually mountain bike/ski/backpack/climb/run like a real man by July
-Then long-term be able to eat a calorie surplus to put on muscle. Oh and I want to look scary.

At the end of January, I started reading a lot and my parents bought a gym membership for my wife and I as a gift (we are poor as dirt since I used to be a paramedic and am now a full time grad student).

My exercise routine:

This is called a 2-day split right?: Weightlifting AxBxAxx, BxAxBxx

Lifting progressively more each day.

Workout A
-squat 2x6
-bench press 2x6
-barbell rows 2x6
-barbell curls 2x8
-upright barbell row 2x8
-seated leg curl 2x8
-lever roller 6x
-neck flexion 4x8

Workout B
-straight leg dead lift 2x6
-military press 2x6
-leg press 2x6
-reverse barbell curls 2x8
-barbell triceps ext 2x8
-calf raises 2x8
-decline push-ups 3xf
-pull ups 3xf

3 nonlift days ~30 mins of SIT

2 days
-side planks 2x50 sec
-weighted crunches 1x20
-leg raises 1x30

1 day usually a family hike in the mountains, but may do hours of yard work or a long walk

I also became a whole lot more strict with my diet and luckily have a wife that fully supports me in that by doing the cookin and being good at it. I weight my food with a scale and track with myfitnesspal, its fun. I eat my 1g of protein per lb of body weight. The exrx estimated calorie requirements calculator says I need roughly 3050 calories a day to maintain my weight at my current activity level. I am eating approximately 2350 a day with no cheat days ever. So 2350/3050=77% of my energy requirements. SO it is borderline too much of a deficit depending on what you read.

Here is my last 7 days average of my macros from myfitnesspal:
- 84g fat
- 199g carbs
- 212g of protein

So that is rounded to 31% fat, 33% crabs, 35% protein. I hit my basic micros and take fish oil every day. No supplements. Do not smoke. Do not drink alcohol.

Currently I am: 5'10.5", 209 lbs, very roughly 19% BF

In the 12 lbs I have lost since in the last 10 weeks:
- None of my clothes fit
- Waist has gone from 40" to 38.5"
- Chest has gone from 43.25" to 44.5"
- Shoulders has gone from 48.5" to 52.5"
- Believe my BF has gone from approximately 23% to 19%
- Went from jog/walking a mile in 14 minutes with asthma acting up to running a 5k in 31 minutes with minimal reaction

If anybody is still reading, I would really appreciate some feedback on my diet and exercise. Am I missing anything? Doing anything wrong? Overdoing something?

Here is my gripe:

I had an epic mountain man beard, thick, tapered, and voluptuous. I originally grew it because I became porky and lost my jawline entirely. I assumed that since I have lost 27 lbs since last I was beardless, I thought it was safe to finally shave it off. I was wrong. I have a fatty fat face still. At what point should I have that lean face will be pleasing to my wife and not embarrassing for me to wear?

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:06 pm 

Sounds like the fat face is the least of your problems. Getting to goal weight in a short time is not the long term solution. You might make it, but odds are that you would just balloon back to where you were and yo-yo up to obesity in the long run.

Don't focus on your weight. Do exercise that creates adaptation that you want. Strength, power, stamina and speed are what you want. If your exercise isn't moving you in the right direction, do something else. You may have to work on each of these one at a time but starting out, basically anything works.

Fix whatever is wrong with your diet. Concentrate on eating real food that you prepare yourself. If that's not convenient, that's good. You want to get away from convenience food and things that are easy.

Don't get wrapped up about calories or weight. However, the basic rule is that if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit regardless of how little you think you eat. Exercise in a manner that improves your fitness and eat enough food to meet your energy needs but no more. Make that a habit and you will gradually get leaner.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:26 pm 

Few points:

#1 --- Work on the attitude bro, that'll be an absolute killer when it comes to attaining/maintaining goals.
-Take focus off the scale and more on the mirror.
-I don't know when your face will look good without a beard
-No simple carbs
-Small portions size and eat small meals throughout the day.
-Can you handle hiit?

It sounds like you have the right focus, just don't let hiccups get you down. Recognize it and grow from it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
Sounds like the fat face is the least of your problems. Getting to goal weight in a short time is not the long term solution. You might make it, but odds are that you would just balloon back to where you were and yo-yo up to obesity in the long run.

Don't focus on your weight. Do exercise that creates adaptation that you want. Strength, power, stamina and speed are what you want. If your exercise isn't moving you in the right direction, do something else. You may have to work on each of these one at a time but starting out, basically anything works.

Fix whatever is wrong with your diet. Concentrate on eating real food that you prepare yourself. If that's not convenient, that's good. You want to get away from convenience food and things that are easy.

Don't get wrapped up about calories or weight. However, the basic rule is that if you are not losing weight, you are not in a deficit regardless of how little you think you eat. Exercise in a manner that improves your fitness and eat enough food to meet your energy needs but no more. Make that a habit and you will gradually get leaner.

I am losing about 1.2 lbs per week. My goal was to lose 30 lbs in about 5.5 months. I thought this seemed middle of the road. Is it not?

I am seeing a huge difference in my body, just not the face and weirdly....the armpits. I got some weird armpits full of fat.

As far as the diet. My wife makes everything from scratch pretty much. I eat no junk foods. My breakfasts consist of mostly eggs, greek yogurt, small amount of sourdough bread, milk, and oats. I eat deli turkey, little cheese, little peanut butter, an apple, some bell peppers, a carrot, humus, and fresh broccoli every day for lunch. I mostly just eat chicken breast, some veggies, some fruit, and a small amount of cous cous, quinoa, or rice for dinner. In between meals I drink some whey to hit my protein amounts for the day.

I love the numbers, I do not stress about them. The math involved is fun for me.

The exercise and working out has been consistent for the first time and my life and my wife does it right alongside me so its getting pretty ingrained in me now. Thanks for your response.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:22 pm 
n00b
n00b

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Few points:

#1 --- Work on the attitude bro, that'll be an absolute killer when it comes to attaining/maintaining goals.
-Take focus off the scale and more on the mirror.
-I don't know when your face will look good without a beard
-No simple carbs
-Small portions size and eat small meals throughout the day.
-Can you handle hiit?

It sounds like you have the right focus, just don't let hiccups get you down. Recognize it and grow from it.

Maybe I came off in a way I did not intend. I love this whole process. Even watching the slope of the best fit line of my graphed weight loss is highly (and nerdishly) enjoyable to me. The scale is definitely going down. My disappointment and whining was more about my progress being seen in my body, but not in my face which is more important. My 5yo daughter even told me "your face looks fat daddy, but youre not fat". Internet is pretty poor at getting tone across. I was trying to be humorous and maybe it just sounded like I was throwing a pity party.

I do eat the occasional simple carbs, but am always around 200g of carbs for a day. I usually get about 60-70g of simple carbs, is that not ok? Those few simple carbs act like glue or something?

I eat smaller meals than before. I eat about 500 cal for breakfast, 550 for lunch, 600 for dinner, and then about 700 cal in snacks consisting of whey, jerky, and a small amount of low low cal tortilla chips and salsa. I have been doing progressively heavier lifting after the first initial month of just getting a baseline conditioning. Now I am just starting to feel the weight and I am getting a bit hungrier.

I have just started doing sprint training where I have just been doing a steady 5k before. I do about a 6 minute warm up, then spring all out for 30 secs, then walk for 3 mins, then repeat the sprint/walk another 6 times, and then end with a 5 minute jog. This is the basic premise of HIIT isnt it?

From other sources I have read, maybe it is just my genetics that give me the fleshy face I have and it may take a bit lower amount of body fat than for other people to lean out my face.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:31 pm 

1.2 lbs a week is a good rate. You seemed to indicate that you thought you were eating too little but not losing anything. You're fine.

Fat comes off different places at different rates. This is determined by your genetics. Once you get down to lower levels, you'll see a difference. Many still have loose skin which may account for your underarm issue.

Your wife is doing the cooking. Take an interest yourself and contribute. Expand your horizons as to what you eat. Variety is important.

Keep it up. You're in this for a life time. Make it enjoyable.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
1.2 lbs a week is a good rate. You seemed to indicate that you thought you were eating too little but not losing anything. You're fine.

Fat comes off different places at different rates. This is determined by your genetics. Once you get down to lower levels, you'll see a difference. Many still have loose skin which may account for your underarm issue.

Your wife is doing the cooking. Take an interest yourself and contribute. Expand your horizons as to what you eat. Variety is important.

Keep it up. You're in this for a life time. Make it enjoyable.

I did not mean underarms, I really did mean arm pits (where the hair is). Its weird. I do have strange fat distribution. Even at 25% body fat I did not have much of a stomach which seems to be opposite of most men.

We have been finding more and more recipes lately. She even made an Indian dish a couple nights ago. She is a stay at home mom now with our two small children and after being laid off for the third time in 5 years. I am working on two masters, doing an internship, volunteer with a couple organizations, etc. I contribute to food prep as far as making decisions, but we have pretty traditional gender roles and it works pretty well for us so I stay out of the k-word.