ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:04 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I never meant to bash deadlifts. I like them a lot. However, I've learned from experience that if I do them every week my numbers go down instead of up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:27 am 
Novice
Novice

Well guys, after readding that whole article stuward posted and taking off another 2 weeks from deads, Im going to try them again either Thursday or Next week. The reason for Thursday is ebcause even if I get hip pains, I have friday and saturday to heal a great deal before sunday.

I find it interesting how some can deadlift twice a week with heavy loads and others once a month. This is really a great thing to notice since you realize that weight lifting is not set in stone and that 1 workout can work differently for 100 different people

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:29 am 
Novice
Novice

Matt Z wrote:
I never meant to bash deadlifts. I like them a lot. However, I've learned from experience that if I do them every week my numbers go down instead of up.

sorry I know its not right to double post since I already posted a response but I didnt see your comment. Well, I too have noticed in the past that dead lift numbers go down instead of up if you train too frequently but do you know why that is? How come squat numbers go up and DL goes down. Does this mean that overall, DL is much more taxing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 am 

I think that squats respond to higher frequency than deadlifts due to the skill involved in the lift. It takes more practice with squats to be able to use maximum effort.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:51 am 

stuward wrote:
I think that squats respond to higher frequency than deadlifts due to the skill involved in the lift. It takes more practice with squats to be able to use maximum effort.

I reckon it's to do with the fact that quads can handle way more more volume than any other bodypart. Obviously higher frequency will mean more total volume over the course of a week

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:21 pm 

I've heard the erectors take longer to recover than other muscle groups, and of course heavy deadlifts tax the erectors more than just about any other exercise.

Also, I don't think you can look at deadlifts in isolation. ... For example, someone who only squats and deadlifts may be able to deadlift more often than someone who does a lot of Olympic lifts.

My own program includes a lot of other pulling movements like heavy Bent-over Rows and Barbell High Pulls (which are somewhere between a clean and a deadlift).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am 
Novice
Novice

Others have brought it up - Sumo Deadlift might be worth experimenting with.