ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peer review please :)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

-This routine is meant to be taken at your own pace. You can take one day of rest in between each routine, or 2,3,4,5, etc...
-Ample stretching before and after your workout.
-In between each working set, perform cardio for 1 minute. Get loose and focus on deep breathing.
-Once completion of each exercise, a break is recommended for as long as you feel comfortable for.
-Each routine should be finished in 8-15 minutes.
-A minimum of three cycles is to be performed.
-Set out a standard custom to yourself. Ex: upright rows, 10 reps. If you make it to 5. take a 10 second breather, and get that one more rep out. If you can only do one, rinse and repeat until your goal is met. If you set the goal too high, lower the weight and finish the amount of reps you set for yourself.
-If the weight is too easy for you, adjust slightly. The full routine takes its toll on you eventually.
-remember to practice deep breathing.
-Core is to be performed in the same manner as a separate workout prior to the weight lifting program. 3-5 exercises, 3 working cycles, cardio in between each set. If planks are performed, then super set with a glute exercise.-
-the reason theres only one leg exercise is so that while you do cardio, you can throw in some free weighted squats, burpees, or any other cardio exercise that demands leg strength-
-always keep your muscles tense through out each execution.

Day One
SHOULDER - Upright rows
BICEPS - Preacher curl
BACK - Inverted rows
CHEST - Chest dips
LEGS PUSH - Squats
CALVES - Dumbell sitting calves

Day Two
SHOULDER - Military press
TRICEPS - Tricep Extension
CHEST - Incline fly
BACK – Negative pull ups (adjust grip posture each time)
LEGS PULL – Deadlifts
CALVES - One legged Standing Calves
CORE - Warm up with core

Day Three
SHOULDER - Shrugs
BICEPS - Hammer Curls
LATS - Dumbell Rows
CHEST – Decline press
LEGS PUSH - Walking lunge/side lunges/ rear lunges
CALVES – Reverse calve raise

Day Four
SHOULDERS - Behind neck press
TRICEPS - Kickback
BACK – Bent over row
CHEST - Bench Press in different hand positioned variations
LEGS PULL – Hyperextensions
CALVES - One legged Standing Calves
CORE - Warm up with core

Day Five
SHOULDERS - Front Raise
SHOULDERS - Side raise
BICEPS - Lying incline curl on incline bench
BACK – Straight arm pulldown
CHEST - Incline fly
LEGS PUSH - Sumo squats
CALVES - Reverse dumbell calf raise

Day Six
SHOULDERS - Lying rear delt raise
TRICEP – Tricep Pulldown
BACK - Close grip pull ups
CHEST - Decline cabel fly
LEGS PUSH – Squats, of any variation.
CORE - Warm up with core

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I don't really like them to be honest. They're not terrible, and it'll work, but I think if you are putting exercises together then it should be exercises where it's easy to transition from one to another.

You're having to use all different equipment for your exercises, so there's a lot of messing about between them.

It's not how I'd set them up but if it's working for you then by all means keep at it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:16 am 
Novice
Novice

IMO - this schedule is not sustainable even in the short term.

What are your goals and what is your lifting history?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 am 

I'm of the opinion you should start with push, pull, squat, deadlift and carry according to whatever frequency schedule works for you, then add in accessory lifts and isolation exercises as you feel are appropriate for your goals.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

it is an issue having to work around other people. almost every exercise can be used on a bench or with dumbells/dumbar except negative pullups, behind neck press, hyper extensions, or cable flys. if you do have to cut in between someones set, where i live, everyone seems alright to let me cut in for the 1/2 a minute which is all you need.

i have 5 + years experience, my goals are to become so fit that running/ jogging up a mountain are possible. I've tried all sorts of routines on the internet and found this one to be the most intense.

i wanted to cover every muscle over the 6 days.
i wanted something that makes you the most exhausted, so strenuous that other people are like wtf.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:34 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm of the opinion you should start with push, pull, squat, deadlift and carry according to whatever frequency schedule works for you, then add in accessory lifts and isolation exercises as you feel are appropriate for your goals.

so one day would look like

squat
deadlift
bench press
pull up
+ triceps
+ biceps
+ shoulders ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 am 

wait a minute, are these not circuits? Are they just routines? If so then I like them even less

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:07 am 

Soulblazer, you may not want to do all those every workout. You could, but it likely wouldn't be optimal. You may want longer recovery in some movements than others or you may wish to split it up. Also you may want to mix up the variations, for example, kettlebell swings or good mornings instead of a deadlift.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:51 am 
Novice
Novice

soulblazer27 wrote:
it is an issue having to work around other people. almost every exercise can be used on a bench or with dumbells/dumbar except negative pullups, behind neck press, hyper extensions, or cable flys. if you do have to cut in between someones set, where i live, everyone seems alright to let me cut in for the 1/2 a minute which is all you need.

i have 5 + years experience, my goals are to become so fit that running/ jogging up a mountain are possible. I've tried all sorts of routines on the internet and found this one to be the most intense.

i wanted to cover every muscle over the 6 days.
i wanted something that makes you the most exhausted, so strenuous that other people are like wtf.....

If your goal is to become fit enough to run/jog up a mountain, I would humbly suggest that your training be composed primarily of running/jogging up mountains.

If your goal is to impress people by how tired you get, I think you'll succeed quickly with your 6 day a week plan, plus running up mountains. I get tired just typing it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 am 
Rookie
Rookie

its pretty much a circuit.

6 exercises. cardio in between each set until all 6 exercises are complete. cardio is a mix of jumping jacks - plyometrics.

i do go hiking up mountains, I've picked Elk mountain in Chilliwack BC Canada to be the trail i'll run up. I can't always go there since it takes me 2 hours to get there. but I wanted something that work on fast/ slow twitch muscle fibers, as well as cardio vascular strength and explosiveness.

i agree with
" but I think if you are putting exercises together then it should be exercises where it's easy to transition from one to another."

i should probably add, i got diagnosed with crohns disease, so I shouldn't bulk or make goals to lift really heavy weights.

if some exercises demand rest, then the cardio in between the next set can be taken lightly. A slow walk up a flight of stairs 5 times would suffice. The aim is to simply keep your body moving throughout your "rest". If I feel I can make that rest a little more strenuous, then I do so.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:44 am 
Novice
Novice

soulblazer27 wrote:
its pretty much a circuit.

6 exercises. cardio in between each set until all 6 exercises are complete. cardio is a mix of jumping jacks - plyometrics.

i do go hiking up mountains, I've picked Elk mountain in Chilliwack BC Canada to be the trail i'll run up. I can't always go there since it takes me 2 hours to get there. but I wanted something that work on fast/ slow twitch muscle fibers, as well as cardio vascular strength and explosiveness.

i agree with
" but I think if you are putting exercises together then it should be exercises where it's easy to transition from one to another."

i should probably add, i got diagnosed with crohns disease, so I shouldn't bulk or make goals to lift really heavy weights.

if some exercises demand rest, then the cardio in between the next set can be taken lightly. A slow walk up a flight of stairs 5 times would suffice. The aim is to simply keep your body moving throughout your "rest". If I feel I can make that rest a little more strenuous, then I do so.

First of all - awesome re: Elk mountain.

Second of all - I suggest a google search on Javorek style complexes for your cardio, strength, explosiveness goals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:47 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@soulblazer27:

Starting your routine by training shoulders and arms will compromise the intensity that you can train your chest and back. The arms in particular are the weak link in upper body compound exercises.

soulblazer27 wrote:
so one day would look like

squat
deadlift
bench press
pull up
+ triceps
+ biceps
+ shoulders ?

If you added a vertical upper body pushing exercise (ie military press) and a horizontal upper body pulling exercise (ie dumbbell row) to the first four exercises on the list you wouldn't need to do arm work - although you could throw in a few sets of curls and pressdowns if you wanted to. Better to do some sets for the side deltoid, which is often an orphan in pulling and pressing movements.

EDIT - Doing squats, deadlifts, horizontal presses/pulls and vertical presses/pulls might be a bit much for many trainers in one workout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:22 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

awesome thanks for the feedback. will reply when revised