ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:50 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I broke the scaphoid bone (sclerotic nonunion waist fracture) in my hand six months ago, and will be having surgery to repair it with a bone graft and a screw to join the two bone sections together. A cast is needed for 6 to 12 weeks. Anyone have any idea when I can resume strength training using my hands after the cast is removed? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone knowledgable about this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am 

Dan John wrote about his experience with something similar. He started doing 1 arm lifts and found that the unexercised side caught up quickly once he was able to exercise on both sides again. http://danjohn.net/2009/12/one-arm-lifts/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:04 am 

I had to have surgery to repair my torn bicep (distal) in August 2012. http://www.rushortho.com/pdf/Distal%20Biceps%20Repair.pdf That's pretty major surgery for the arm. I was in the gym a week after surgery doing machine work for my legs and right side of the upper body. By week three I had my safety squat bar and was squatting with one arm. I was not released to lift with my left arm until November.

In April of 2013 I was able to compete in a powerlifting meet and did fairly well. The point is that I agree with stuward because of my own experience. I'm fairly certain I was able get back in less than an year because I never stopped working my right side for the 3 months I couldn't use my left arm.

Get back doing one side as soon as you can. The theory is that the hormonal response you get helps the healing process and helps prevent atrophy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't thought of doing one arm strength training, but that sounds like a good idea.

Tim