ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rep set confusion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:33 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello guys, I've been training for a little under a year (training seriously)

I have made great gains for a 17 year old, My bench is at 175, squat 205, and dead at 315.

I recently posted in here my work out plan, i love to lift heavy (7x2, 3x3, 12x1)
HOWEVER, i feel that I'm not making muscle (hypertrophy gains) the " Aesthetics" which my goal is to get bigger and stronger, i am eating at caloric surplus.

Bottom line what rep and set scheme should i be using for those goals? :grin:

Post subject: Re: Rep set confusion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:24 pm 

At 17, the answer is to keep getting stronger and eat enough to grow. Your genetics and hormonal state will determine how fast you grow. You can fiddle around with different rep ranges but the difference will be small. It's more important to be consistent and keep doing workouts you continue with. Get some variety so you change the stimulus slightly every month or two.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

thanks a lot man,

by the way this forum is was more positive then t nation, i like the understanding.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

you can still do your heavy benching or whatever, throw some high rep accessory work in at the end. That's how you SHOULD be training.

So do your 5x5 bench or whatever, then do like 5x10 incline dumbell press afterwards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 am 

If you want to get bigger, try going lighter with higher reps - 7-12 range. What robertscott said too, if you don't want to get rid of your heavy work.

More importantly, eat. When you are full, eat some more. When the site and smell of food makes you nausiated, eat some more. Eat clean as you can, but eat.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:04 am 

your traps are looking swole in that photo hoose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:55 am 
n00b
n00b

robertscott wrote:
you can still do your heavy benching or whatever, throw some high rep accessory work in at the end. That's how you SHOULD be training.

So do your 5x5 bench or whatever, then do like 5x10 incline dumbell press afterwards.

will 5x5 cause growth and strength?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:47 am 
Novice
Novice

richie97 wrote:
...will 5x5 cause growth and strength?

Like doing Stronglifts 5x5? As long as you eat enough, yes... There are several ways to produce hypertrophy...Lifting heavy within the 5 rep range is one way. Lifting in the 6 - 12 rep range will work too, when the workload is high enough...

Perhaps the following link will help you a little bit in understanding some principles:
http://stronglifts.com/madcow/Topics/Training_Primer.htm

I would follow stuwards advice... follow a good beginners programme as long as you can use linear progression, then switch to an intermediate programme suiting your goals. Eat enough, sleep enough, be consistant, be patient, work hard... like i read somewhere: train, eat, sleep, repeat... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 pm 

richie97 wrote:
robertscott wrote:

will 5x5 cause growth and strength?

yes provided your diet is good. I still recommend adding a high rep accessory for extra growth stimulus though

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:09 pm 

You know I'm looking good robertscott. Look at those delts. Look at those boob... er pecs. Look at those quads.

Listen to robertscott - high reps for growth.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:25 pm 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
richie97 wrote:
...will 5x5 cause growth and strength?

Like doing Stronglifts 5x5? As long as you eat enough, yes... There are several ways to produce hypertrophy...Lifting heavy within the 5 rep range is one way. Lifting in the 6 - 12 rep range will work too, when the workload is high enough...

Perhaps the following link will help you a little bit in understanding some principles:

I would follow stuwards advice... follow a good beginners programme as long as you can use linear progression, then switch to an intermediate programme suiting your goals. Eat enough, sleep enough, be consistant, be patient, work hard... like i read somewhere: train, eat, sleep, repeat... :wink:

Im not doing strong lifts, in my other threat i posted my regimen, (sorry should've included that in here) okay so hypertrophy will come in if I'm lifting heavy 5x5 all my assistance work it in the 6-12 rep range.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:28 pm 

You'll get bigger if you eat and lift. You'll get bigger quicker if you lift in the high rep range. You'll get stronger quicker in the low rep range. Both will make you stronger. Both will make you bigger. Go with what you primary goal is

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:49 pm 

hoosegow wrote:
You'll get bigger if you eat and lift. You'll get bigger quicker if you lift in the high rep range. You'll get stronger quicker in the low rep range. Both will make you stronger. Both will make you bigger. Go with what you primary goal is

that was perfectly said.