ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The main difference I see is the different back-angle? DB Row with Torso parallel to the ground and Kroc Row with what looks like a 45°-angle...

How does that affect the muscles trained with the Kroc Row compared to the One-arm DB Row? More emphasis on the upper back?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Kroc rows aren't really a separate exercise. It's just a dumbell row done using straps and a bit of body english so you can get a zillion reps with a heavy weight. It's just become a fashionable thing to call our dumbell rows Kroc rows now because it makes you sound HARDCORE TO THE MAX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm 

What do you call it when you do strict Rear Delt Rows for high reps with the heaviest dumbbell available? :cool:

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

robertscott wrote:
Kroc rows aren't really a separate exercise. It's just a dumbell row done using straps and a bit of body english so you can get a zillion reps with a heavy weight. It's just become a fashionable thing to call our dumbell rows Kroc rows now because it makes you sound HARDCORE TO THE MAX

Thats because I asked about the different angle of the torso... :wink:

O. k. ... let me put it differently... How does the angle of the body affect the activation of muscles in the back? More involvement of the upper back (including upper trapezius?) with a 45°-angle?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:46 am 

45-degree angle + Neutral grip = Lats & Middle/Lower Traps
Parallel to floor + Neutral grip = Longer range-of-motion with more Rhomboid and Rear Delt involvement.

Using a pronated grip (elbow out) and pulling to the chest turns a DB Row into a Rear Delt Row. ... Lots of Rear Delt and Rhomboids, with less help of the lats.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 am 

Crow wrote:
robertscott wrote:

Thats because I asked about the different angle of the torso... :wink:

O. k. ... let me put it differently... How does the angle of the body affect the activation of muscles in the back? More involvement of the upper back (including upper trapezius?) with a 45°-angle?

It's still the same exercise. You can do a dumbell row with a more upright torso. Lots of people do. Doesn't make it a Kroc row...

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:46 am 

Matt Z wrote:
What do you call it when you do strict Rear Delt Rows for high reps with the heaviest dumbbell available? :cool:

The Matt Z row has been born!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Usually one-arm dumbbell rows also have more points of support. Kroc is just supported by one hand if even that. It's still the same exercise, kroc rows are just high-rep forced dumbbell rows like Robbie said. I like Kroc's personally, it gets my biceps and lats quite the burn and it's alos great grip work. I find Kroc's easier to progress than normal DB rows, probably due to that sprinkle of cheating added on the final reps.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:39 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Matt Z wrote:
45-degree angle + Neutral grip = Lats & Middle/Lower Traps
Parallel to floor + Neutral grip = Longer range-of-motion with more Rhomboid and Rear Delt involvement.

Using a pronated grip (elbow out) and pulling to the chest turns a DB Row into a Rear Delt Row. ... Lots of Rear Delt and Rhomboids, with less help of the lats.

Thanks!