ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plan for my girlfriend
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:23 am 

I need some help from the experts of the exrx forum.

my girlfriend started working out on machines, but i introduced her to barbell and dumbbell training.

atm she is following this routine 2-3x per week:

squat 3x 5-7
bench press 3x 5-7
romanian deadlifts 3x 10
DB military press 3x 5-7
kroc rows 3x 10

she is fine with it, but she only notices changes on her upper body. her main goal is to get more in shape at her butt and her legs.

should she do more leg exercises and cut down the upper body work a bit? maybe drop the military press and add another leg exercise like step ups or lunges?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:28 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hip thrusts are the best for glutes most of the time. Also I'd suggest some bulgarian split squats and reverse lunges to the mix. For a glute and hamstring burn I also like to do 45-degree back extensions with a posterior pelvic tilt.

Maybe alter the two pressing exercises every workout instead of doing them both? Add the glute exercise there instead.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:32 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

ephs wrote:
. her main goal is to get more in shape at her butt and her legs.

Sadly, many - probably most - women have body image dissatisfaction with their thighs and buttocks. They aspire to look like runway models. Diet and exercise can only go so far if a woman isn't cut out to be a runway model.

Just like most male lifters have to accept that they can't grow 20-inch arms, most female lifters have to accept that they can't have "perfect" buns and thighs. They can improve what they have, though.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stephen Johnson wrote:
ephs wrote:
. her main goal is to get more in shape at her butt and her legs.

Sadly, many - probably most - women have body image dissatisfaction with their thighs and buttocks. They aspire to look like runway models. Diet and exercise can only go so far if a woman isn't cut out to be a runway model.

Just like most male lifters have to accept that they can't grow 20-inch arms, most female lifters have to accept that they can't have "perfect" buns and thighs. They can improve what they have, though.

This is a hard and painful lesson to learn. You really have to just keep trying anyway for a decade or more before you finally accept that some things can be changed with diet and exercise, and some things are determined by genetics.

Getting ripped is another one of those things. Not everyone has the genetics to do it. It makes sense in hindsight given how much lower your body fat has to be to get to that point than what the average/healthy range is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:02 pm 

You must be careful about her program because it can get boring for her easily. She's a girl and chances are high that she could just start going to pilates or something...
I think you should remove either bench press or press. I think that, for her, press is better and safer exercise, but I think you should ask her which one is more interesting to her.
Because she wants to do legs and ass, you could add Glute-Ham Raise and Barbell Lunges. Those moves will do those parts and she will be eager to do them.

Because she just started going to gym, you must make it interesting to her. Later, you can change some exercises and give her better program. Now, she just needs to make it a habit to go to gym regularly.
And she won't be a powerlifter, if she doesn't do best exercises, what will happen? I think that girls should be, well, girls. We are supposed to have some muscles, here and there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:21 am 

thx for the answers.

i told her to alternate between press and bench press and add reverse lunges every workout (that was dubs suggestion).

i also thought of removing DB shoulder press completely and only let her bench every workout, cause she has success at benching and likes it, but she told me that it's now easier for her to sit in front of the computer at work without pain at her neck cause of the shoulder exercise.

what do you guys think of benching every workout day and shoulder press only every other workout day?