Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shoulder Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:05 pm 
n00b
n00b

Good afternoon everyone,

I would like to get your help on a problem that has been bothering me for quite a long time.

I was diagnosed with a shoulder tendinitis 3 years ago, or something like that. Since it was involving the supraspinatus tendon, it was hurting on the anterior portion of left deltoid.

I was actually managing the pain by reinforcing the shoulder articulation from time to time and it was pretty ok if I kept those reinforcement protocols here and there.

However, and unfortunately, there was a time those efforts weren't enough. I couldn't do anything to relieve the pain and it wasn't only located on the anterior portion of left deltoid...

I now have some huge pain (sharp pain) near the medial border of the left shoulder blade. Its intensity gets higher at some specific situations:

a) in the morning, after waking up and it's also irradiated to the anterior side of the chest (pectoralis major).

b) when taking a deep breath while in bent over position.

c) while making the row movement, even with no external load.

The pain is actually uncomfortable and it points the inter scapular region - traps, rhomboids - and the left side with some more intensity (supra spinatus, infra spinatus, erratus anterior).

From the exams I made, doctors can see a huge inflammation on the left side.

I stopped all my activity for eleven weeks now and the pain persists. I've started some relaxant and anti-inflammatory farmacotherapy now and I'll wait to see if it results (I'm afraid not)

I am actually thinking on:

Serrated anterior weakness;
Dorsal Scapular nerve compression;
Subacromial impingement.

I'm desperate and I don't know what to do... Please... Give me your opinion.

Post subject: Re: Shoulder Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:51 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

can you do internal/external rotations without pain?

Are you doing any direct mid/lower trap exercises?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had tendonitis of the shoulder once. I couldn't do the squats because I could not hold on to the bar with my right hand. Went to a physiotherapist twice weekly for a good part of a year.

I'm ok now.

Why don't you see a physiotherapist?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:50 pm 
n00b
n00b

robertscott wrote:
can you do internal/external rotations without pain?

Are you doing any direct mid/lower trap exercises?

It hurts, specially on external rotation (I'm talking about rotations with no added load. It hurts exactly on the same spot I referred - medial border of scapula).

I'm not doing anything at all robertscott. And for the record, when I do any movements with the arms (e.g.: forward arm rotations) I see (through recording) my left trap with almost with no contraction... Purely atrophied.

tostig wrote:
I had tendonitis of the shoulder once. I couldn't do the squats because I could not hold on to the bar with my right hand. Went to a physiotherapist twice weekly for a good part of a year.

I'm ok now.

Why don't you see a physiotherapist?

Hello tostig. I tried it and the inflammation got worse. I also tried acupuncture and shiatsu... No luck... Trying the medications at the moment :/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:07 am 

well if I were in your situation I'd start by getting some serious soft tissue work done on my shoulder. Book an hour session with an ART practitioner or a deep-tissue masseuse and bring something to bite down on because it is really going to hurt.

Secondly, you need to strengthen the muscles around the injury. Wait until you can do external rotations pain free (the soft tissue work should help with that) then add weight SLOWLY. Like really slowly. Use a water bottle or something.

You also need to strengthen your serratus. Do some "scap push ups". You'll find them on youtube. Make sure the reps are really slow and controlled.

Also do some Prone Ys (also on youtube). Keep the reps mega slow and use a very light weight. Aim for sets of 20-30.

Once rows and things like that are pain free then add them back in. Consider adding face pulls (a third thing for you to youtube) using the same slow and deliberate from you used for the scap push ups and Ys.

All that should work if you're patient.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:29 am 
n00b
n00b

robertscott wrote:
well if I were in your situation I'd start by getting some serious soft tissue work done on my shoulder. Book an hour session with an ART practitioner or a deep-tissue masseuse and bring something to bite down on because it is really going to hurt.

Secondly, you need to strengthen the muscles around the injury. Wait until you can do external rotations pain free (the soft tissue work should help with that) then add weight SLOWLY. Like really slowly. Use a water bottle or something.

You also need to strengthen your serratus. Do some "scap push ups". You'll find them on youtube. Make sure the reps are really slow and controlled.

Also do some Prone Ys (also on youtube). Keep the reps mega slow and use a very light weight. Aim for sets of 20-30.

Once rows and things like that are pain free then add them back in. Consider adding face pulls (a third thing for you to youtube) using the same slow and deliberate from you used for the scap push ups and Ys.

All that should work if you're patient.

Thank you robbert.

It is great to see people worried about the others.
Well, in fact, I'm always afraid of making too much shoulder mobilization because it will become heavily swollen and actually painful. However I'll try to follow your tips.

Can you please check the following protocol and tell me of it would be a good start for me, even with some tolerable pain?

http://www(.)surfbodyfitness(.)com/category/injury-prevention

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 pm 

Whatever protocol you follow, you need to listen to your body. The injury needs rest to heal but also needs some inflammation and some stress to get stronger. If you don't give the right balance of stress and rest, you won't heal.

The arm bar helped me following my physio. Just Google shoulder arm bar. Sorry, slow connection or I would send some links.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley