ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade farmer's bars
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So by random development over the years I found myself with 4 50# plates with 1" holes, which are useless to me. Also with a 1" thick 5' bar also mostly useless though I sometimes leave it loaded for curls.

Realized that if I just picked up another of those 5' bars I could set up some farmer's bars loaded at about 120# and just leave them there. That was $30.00 to convert the useless items into two loaded farmers bars.

Then I wondered. Starting from scratch, assuming you had to buy everything, is it still cheaper to get the 1" bars and the 50# plates? For the luxury of permanently loaded bars you'd be set back about $260.00 if you live where I do, while "real" bars seem to run from $160 - $220 before you've loaded the plates. Not much difference if you are going to drop that kind of cash why not go for the loaded bars? Unless you are carrying 300# per hand in which case you are out of my league.

One note: I did tie some handles onto the bars, so figure another $12.00 for the 8" lengths of 1" diameter pipe. And some rope or chain rated at 200#.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

New York Barbells has Farmer's Walk Handles for $200 a pair (not including shipping). They weigh 24 lbs each and accept standard Olympic plates.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:57 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It occurred to me that using dumbbell handles would offer a much better grip than the metal nipple piples I'm using now. Will try that on Saturday.