ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi, I am an ectomorph about 5ft 11in and weighing 65Kg. Based on my weight, I need to eat around 110-130 gm of Protein everyday. I have been working out consistently for about 5-6 months now and my body fat is around 16-18%, mostly around my belly. If I eat regularly through out the day, not going hungry beyond an hour, and if I meet my protein requirements, will I still continue to gain muscle, or is a calorie surplus an absolute must?

Assuming, I need to eat 2400 calories a day, will I build muscles to the same extent, if I ate 2100 calories and have the remaining calories come from my body fat?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:08 am 

How old are you and what is your training like? How has your progress been? You used the word "continue" so I assume you have made some progress.

The term "ectomorph" is a poor term as it suggests that you are forever that build. A better term is "under muscled".

Too answer your question, yes it is theoretically possible to do what you suggest. The key is high protein, high quality of food and highly effective training.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:38 am 
n00b
n00b

Hi stuward. I turned 30 this year. I used 5-6 months as a duration because in between the last six months that I have been working out, I could not do so properly for a month, month and half due to Ramadan fasting and a couple of weeks after that to get back in the mood/routine.

I was really thin at 57 kg (evening weight with clothes on) when I started and I am now 65+ on a morning empty stomach and just my shorts on. During the six months, I worked out with various consistency, but since mid-September, I have been working out around 200 minutes a week. I use bodbot to plan my training and diet. My diet tends to be high-carb and I have noticed a considerable increase in my belly size.

Many people talk about bulking and then cutting, but I'd rather aim to eat right to gain relatively more muscle than fat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:44 pm 

Yes, eat right. Lots of protein, heavy on the vegetables. Seek a well balanced nutritious diet and the calories and carbs will automatically drop since you'll feel full on fewer calories. Concentrate on being consistant with the training and you'll start building some muscle. Your main goal should be to build healthy habits.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley