ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:01 pm 
n00b
n00b

I need some help putting together a couple of full body workouts. I don't have access to a gym anymore, and have bought some equipment to make my own gym in the basement.

Me:
36 years old. Have been training with weights for more than 10 yrs, usually twice a week, and mostly full body workouts. Mostly manuals and olympic weights (benchpress, squats, deadlift, pulldown, lunges). In the last couple of years I have also used kettlebells.

Equipment:
Olympic weight set (Bar, bench, 130kg of weights and Smith machine).
A selection of kettlebells, one of each weight.
A spinning bike and a training mat.

Goal:
I want to train with weights twice a week, so I figure I should make two full body workouts to alternate between. The goal is increased strength and endurance. I also run, bike and cross country ski, so I don't need a lot of cardio on the weight training days. I have an office job, so I need to include some excersises that build the core, something I suspect will be easy with kettlebells, squats and deadlifts. The kettlebell exercises used should be beginner/intermediate for now.

Anyone up for the task of helping me put together a routine?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:05 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I guess simply listing some excercises isn`t enough or very helpful, considering you already got 10 years of experience? BTW... whats your height, weight and your calculated 1RM? What is your training-history? Did you follow some known programms? Did you like a programme?

You could do something simple like:
A: Squats, Bench Press, Row
B: Deadlift, Press, Chin ups

You could also follow 5/3/1... a two-day-template or a fullbody-template would work...

Or do you really ask for a full routine including everything written down and layed out from weight training to cardio on the other days?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:22 am 
n00b
n00b

Listing excercises would be helpful, since the 10 years of experience have not been very varied. I've mostly trained the same exercises, and I've been using a lot of dumbbell exercises and pull-down in a machine, none of which I have access to now. I do not have a chin up bar either, so for now I need other ways to train those muscles. I have never followed a program strictly, but with the availability of the home gym I think I will be able to now. The closest I've been to a program is using the exercises from RYP, but without calculating and following the "progression plan"".

I've usually followed some sort of two-day-template and I like that, but of course there could be cool routines I don't know about :)

Height: 182cm. Weight: ~76kg. Calculated 1RM: Haven't heard about that before, but I see there is a calculator on this site. Should I do this for a selection of exercises?

I ask for help finding a balanced routine with the equipment I have at hand. I do not need help with the cardio.

You initial suggestion almost matches what little I thought up before posting my question, which was:

A: Squats, Bench Press, Kettlebell Row, Straight-bar Biceps curl, Kettlebell swing.
B: Deadlift, Kettlebell Push Ups, Straight-bar rowing, Dips on weight bench.

Now I'm thinking maybe:

A: Squats, Bench Press, Kettlebell Row
B: Deadlift, Press

And then some Kettlebell exercises that complete this?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:32 am 

The simple routine that Crow gave you is a great starting spot for any workout.

You should include basic bodyweight exercises in your workout, pushups and pullups at least. The basic barbell exercises are squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, bent row and cleans and you should get most of these in on a regular basis.

Kettlebells have a lot more to offer than just swings and rows. Snatches, clean and jerks, floor presses, overhead presses, etc also the less conventional turkish get ups, windmills, bent press, and what I like to include during warmups; halos, around the waist swings and figure 8 swings.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:39 am 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the feedback. I will listen to advice and build around the basic barbell exercises. Will deadlift, kettlebell/barbell row and various other kettlebell exercises give a complete back workout, or is there another one I should do to compensate for not having any pullup equipment?