Revenues from Advertisements and the ExRx.net Store help support the maintenance and continued development of ExRx.net. We appreciate your support!
Sign up for site update notifications from our home page.
- Updated Squat Analysis
- Updated Deadlift Analysis
- Added Sleep and Exercise
- Added Peak vs Max VO2
- Added Diets subdirectory to descriptions of commonly prescribed diets
- Added pollutants Glyphosates and PFAS
- Added Nearly Complete Sources of Protein for Vegan to Protein Page
- Added Vitamin K-2
- Edited Vitamin D
- Updated Blood Cholesterol Screening
- Updated Blood Lipid Screening
- Updated Testing for Chronic Low-level Inflammation
- Added vaping risks relative to smoking to Smoking Tidbits
- Updated Pendley Row Somehow Triumphed Over Griffing Row Q&A
- Updated ACSM Guidelines page with Resistance Training for Health Plan
- Expanded and edited Special Populations articles (Premium Content)
- Added additional Weight Training Applied Research Studies (includes premium content).
- Updated Low Volume Weight Training and moved Low Volume Undulating Periodization.
- Added over 20 new exercises to Exercise Directory.
- Added subscriptions for peer reviewed premium content including no third-party ads throughout entire website.
- Organized and utilized ExRx.net Board of Editors
- Added Aquatics Exercise
- Expanded research on Warm-up Phenomenon
- Expanded Musculotendinous Receptors section
- Expanded Request to Remove Weight Loss Image discussion
- Added over 20 exercises in Exercise Directory.
- Your Doctor Is Wrong About Insulin Resistance
- Aerobic Interval Training Reduces the Burden of Atrial Fibrillation
- Reinventing Healthy Living
- Why LDL Cholesterol Goes Up with Low Carb Diet and Is It Bad for Health?
- The Scientific Reality of Meat and Human Health
- Doctor Explains the Latest Vegan vs Keto Head to Head Study
- Question / Answer
- Expanded Board of Editors for upcoming premium content.
- Added 43 exercises in Exercise Directory
- Added 12 stretches and 19 Olympic-style weightlifting exercises
- Add Muscle as an Endocrine Organ to Muscle page
- Updated Home Exercise Equipment Q&A
- Added Suspension Trainer Recommendations Q&A
- Added Adjustable Dumbbell Reviews Q&A
- Added 12 Minute Run vs Smart Watch V02 Max Accuracy Q&A
- Added Your Gut Microbiome to Expert Talks
- Updated Exercise Videos with additional informative videos
- Updated Weight Training Applied Research Findings (Rest Between Sets and Isolated Exercises sections)
- Added additional studies to Weight Training and Sports Abstracts
- Replaced our old animated GIFs with new super compressed videos
- Viewable on most exercises pages as seen in our Exercise Libray
- Also, see Evolution from Animated GIF to Super Compressed Videos
- Added ADA Statement.
- Added Our Experience with an ADA Predatory Litigation.
- a warning to website owners and businesses with a website
- Updated ACSM Risk Classification Calculator according to the newest standards
- Moved Older Modified ACSM Risk Classification Calculator to a new page
- Added Price per Unit Comparison Calculator
- Added Questioning Running Form
- Moved Speed and Agility Training Template from Tidbits to its page
- Added 34 new exercises:
- Added Pelvic Posterior Rotation, or 'Butt Wink' section under Squat Analysis
- Added Locking Out Knees on Leg Press Question and Answer
- Added more detail to Complementary Proteins
- Updated vitamin and mineral information under Micronutrients
- ExRx.net celebrates 20 years online since May 1999!
- Revised Workout Templates with clearer instructions and variations on each template
- Added Progressive Suspension Training Program
- Rewrote existing and added additional Nutritional Supplement Reviews of Literature
- Added ExRx.net Exercise Database API Licensing to Store
- Added 38 Exercises in Exercise Directory
- Added Genetics in Sport and Exercise abstract page
- Updated Calisthenic Workout with revised exercise progressions
- Answered Neck Articulation Questions
- Added Calorie Requirement Question & Answer page.
- Added Sports Performance Videos.
- Add additional cartilage adaptation tidbits
- Added Pages
- Added Assessments
- Added Education & Kids Expert Talks page.
- Added Additional Talks on Exercise Psychology Expert Talks page
- Added Why People Exercise on Exercise Tidbits page.
- Answered questions regarding Push-up Calculator.
- Edited Biomechanical Deficiencies section under Injury Etiology.
- Debuted new modernized site after over 3 years of development.
- Added new Sports Conditioning Section.
- Added new Pharmacology Section.
- Added 63 additional plyometric exercises and variations:
- Newly organized plyometric directory by gross motor function and relative intensity for a scalable prescription.
- The original method of organizing plyometrics by type has been preserved on the separate new directory.
- Added Calisthenic Workout.
- Added Resources for Exercise Professionals.
- Included Vargus During the Squatting section in Squat Analysis.
- Edited Sports Injury First Aid page.
- Added Articulations Question Answer page.
- Answered questions regarding elbow position and arm curl and the Pendlay Row.
- Added additional section to the Fitness Components page.
- Added 5 exercises found under Hip, Back, Shoulder, and Forearm menus.
- Added Weight Training Volume page.
- Added Developing a Fitness Testing Battery.
- Added Food for Kids Tidbits.
- Updated Balance, Equilibrium, and Stability page.
- Added Gray Cook references to Injury Etiology.
- Replace our old translator with Google Translate (widget found on the upper right of each page).
- Introduced Fillable PDF Forms for exercise professionals.
- Added videos to exercises in Exercise Library in addition to the existing animated GIFs.
- Answered questions regarding Details of Exercise Prescription.
- Described Cluster Sets under Advanced Weight Training Techniques.
- Added Featured Testimonies.
- Added 13 new weight training exercises: Arm (3), Forearm (1), Hips (1), Shoulders (5), Thigh (2), Waist (1).
- Added Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS).
- Weight Training
- Added 3 Exercises
- Physical Therapy / Injury Management
- Power Training Tidbits Page
- Included Mangine (2008) Combined Ballistic and Heavy Resistance Training Study.
- Edited Optimal Workload for Power Training.
- ExRx.net Store
- Introduced New Items.
- Skinfold Caliper Sale.
- Weight Training
- Injury Management
- Question & Answer
- Weight Training
- Diet & Weight Management
- Exercise Psychology:
- Question & Answer
- Recognized our most recent interns.
- Introduced ExRx.net Elite Exercise Consultation Services.
- Questions & Answers:
- Reorganized some of the Weight Training Question and Answer pages.
- Added Nutrition Certification for Trainers.
- Added Mass Confusion Over Split Workouts.
- Added Training Ambiguous Muscles on Push or Pull Day.
- Added Significance of Functional Classifications and Listed Order of Muscles.
- Added Rep Ranges for Advanced Lifter.
- Added Sports Psychology Article: Concentration and Attention Control Training.
- Added Turning Failure Into Success tidbit.
ExRx.net is now on Facebook! ‘Like’ us to get our latest updates, articles, news, and more!
- Added 23 new exercises including some CrossFit movements.
- Reorganized various exercises previously listed in the Plyometric Directory to a new Miscellaneous Exercises directory.
- Added Most Common Weight Training Mistakes.
- Added Weight Training for Fat Loss Requires Long Workouts Myth.
- Added Systematic Progression Methods and moved related info on the same page, creating a new Weight Training Resistance page.
- Added Arm Flexors in Pull-ups and Chin-ups Question / Answer.
- Edited Forced Repetitions essay.
- Updated The Burn and Fiber Types.
- Added Sarcoplasmic & Myofibrillar Hypertrophy.
- Edited Knee Injury Question / Answer.
- Added Let Our Kid's Play: The Role and Importance of Risky Play.
- Added 8 new Links to Free Online Journals.
- Introduced dozens of new books and several exercise posters to the store.
- Added nearly 50 new exercises including dozens of Suspension Training Exercises, several Cardio Circuit Drills, and other variations and progressions.
- Added Ultra-Short Race-Pace Training by guest contributor, Dr. Brent Rushall.
- Added Swim Injuries.
- Moved and Updated Causes of Injury to Exercise Info section.
- Added Serratus Anterior Weakness and Excessive Shoulder External Rotation.
- Added Irritability Scale to Injury Tidbits.
- Added more Names for Sugar (>60 Total).
- Added Problems with Traditional Swim Training on Aerobic Tidbits page.
- Added Additional Finger Length Ratio in fitness Testing Tidbits.
- Added 18 new exercises and variations:
- Added Westside Barbell Program.
- Added Coach Louie Simmons video seminar, interview, and coaching session.
- Included Coach Pendley's response to the Strength of US Weightlifters and the Efficacy of the Conjugate Method in Olympic Weightlifting.
- Added Professor Brent Rushall's slide presentation The Future of Swimming "Myths & Science".
- Answered Questions regarding Preseason Training for Teen Swimmer and Strength Tests.
- Added Concurrent Training.
- Added Maximal Effort, Dynamic Effort, and Conjugate System under Advanced Weight Training Techniques.
- Modified Training Principles including adding Diminishing Returns.
- Modified Specificity of Training.
- Added Rhabdomyolysis, an overexertion disorder.
- Explained why a percent bodyweight does not need to be calculated for Olympic-style weight lifts to accurately predict relative weight/rep performance.
- Added Cross-Training Tidbit.
- Added Dr. Gustav Zander, inventor of early weight training machines.
- Added Triclosan & Triclocarban to Hormone Disrupters.
- Added more Gym reviews (London, Paris, Brussels, Belgium) to Weewok.com (author's hobby site).
- ExRx.net is now Responsive so it is much easier to view on your mobile device!
- Weight Training
- Created Actual Resistance Calculator
- Add Exercises:
- Added new animations to Squat and Powerlifting Squat
- Expanded Weight Training Periodization page.
- Added sample programs for Powerlifting and Athletes.
- Answered Questions regarding Spider Curl
- Edited Low Volume Weight Training
- Diet & Nutrition
- Added Chronic Low-level Inflammation and Testing for Chronic Low-Level Inflammation.
- Added additional references to Saturated Fats and CVD
- Added Question Guidelines page
- Added Garcinia Cambogia to Foods that May Aid in Fat Loss
- Changed dietary fat criteria on Health Age Questionnaire.
- Modified Dietary Guidelines.
- Expert Talks
- Added Dr. Bente Klarlund Pedersen's video seminar Making More Minds Up to Move
- Added Dr. Peter Attia's seminars to Expert Talks:
- Added Dr. Tim Noakes videos to Expert Talks:
- Added Periodization Page and Residual Training Effect in Exercise Info section.
- Added Identical-elements Theory to Specific Adaptation page
- Added Individuality section to Skill Acquisition and Proficiency
- Answered Questions regarding Walking Metabolic Calculator
- Updated Drugs in Sports Tidbits page
- Added Shoulder Flexion to Common Orthopedic Inflexibilities
- Added Prone Shoulder Flexion to Flexibility and Functional Assessments
- Added pictures to most articles, about 200 additional images.
- Weight Training
- Added 5 new exercise variations on machines:
- Edited Women's Weight Training Q&A:
- Explained how Hamstrings stabilize the knee in Squat Analysis.
- Added Interdependent Strength tidbit.
- Added comment under Low-Frequency Training.
- Added Efficacy of BOSU Balance Trainer for Core Muscle Activation.
- Added Treadmill Rockport Walk Test.
- Rewrote Bodybuilder's Cardio Prescription.
- Added Statins as Medications That Make Weight Loss Difficult.
- Separated Pages: Hormone Disrupters | Plastic Codes | BPA.
- Expanded Drugs in Sports tidbits page.
- Spring Sale! 20% off most titles.
- Weight Training
- Diet & Nutrition
- Revamped and expanded the Dietary Fats page, adding separate pages for each type of fat. Look for some insightful changes!
- Created Dietary and Cooking Oils page and recreated Oils Comparison Chart.
- Updated Cholesterol Screening page.
- Added Food Politics tidbit and Fat Head Documentary.
- Edited Progressive Diet Goals and Dietary Guidelines to reflect current research.
- Strength Training
- Added 4 new exercises in Exercise Directory.
- Answered questions about deadlift targeting glutes or low back.
- Included link to an image of hook grip (under comments) used by advanced weightlifters for Snatches and Cleans.
- Included link to an image of improvised ankle cuff for heavy Cable Bent-over Leg Curls (under comments).
- Added strong man event clip (AKA Truck Pull & Push) to Fitness Components page.
- Added spoof exercise clip (AKA Press-behind-ass) to Exercise Safety / Causes of Injury.
- Diet & Nutrition
- More Meal Ideas (Food Image Library)
- Added Food Labels page.
- Created Macronutrient Ratio Studies under the Weight Management section.
- Added Types of Carbohydrates.
- Added athletic exemption to high fructose corn syrup Q&A.
- Separated Nutrition Tidbits and Dietary Tidbits
- Moved Metabolic Syndrome to Fitness Testing Section.
- Exercise & Sports Psychology
- 8 new titles in the ExRx.net Store
August 2012 (Later)
- Treadmill Workstation in Cardio Exercise Directory
- An alternative technique for Cable Kneeling Crunch
- click on alternative technique link under comments
- 2 additional Grey Cook Functional Assessment Videos
- Baseline Assessment
- Core Firing Sequence
- More Meal Ideas (Food Image Library)
- Edited Weight Loss Tips
- Additional remarks in 'walking and cycling trail etiquette'
- Answered Number of Sets & Reps Question / Answer
- 11 new titles in ExRx.net Book Store
August 2012 (Earlier)
- Applying the Functional Movement Assessment Model to Real Life Examples (Gray Cook)
- Aerobic Training Compromises Sports Conditioning (Mike Boyle)
- The Renaissance of Natural Movement (Erwan Le Corre)
- More videos:
- More abstract links:
- Arachidonic Acid to Fats page
- Explanatory introduction to Olympic-style weightlifting
- Etiquette on walking or cycling trail
- Edited Blood Lipid Transport
Added 3 new titles to the ExRx.net store.
- Pedometer Steps to Distance Converter
- Walking and Running Energy Efficiency
- Dealing with Injury
- Balancing Dietary pH
- Dr. Robert Lustig Videos on Sugar
Moved and edited
Added 9 new titles and reintroduced Fitness Testing Equipment to the ExRx.net store.
Added The Compliance Solution and The Protein Debate by John Beradi, Ph.D. Added 19 additional exercises with majority added to the Plyometric, Waist, and Hip Directories. Explained target muscle ambiguity between Rollout performed on stability ball versus exercise wheel. Answered exercise order questions about weight training splits. Added 18 new titles to the ExRx.net Store.
Installed TapTalk for ExR.net Forum. Get the app (only $2.99) for your iPhone or Android smartphone so you can use the ExRx.net Forum on the go.
Once installed, just search for 'exrx'.
Added 16 additional exercises and variations. Continued to replace older clips with higher frame clips. Added metabolic rate of muscles and organs. Addressed concern over the Power Clean technique. Altered nomenclature of Pull-up exercises so chin-ups only refer the movements with an underhand grip; all other hand positions are referred to the more widely accepted name of pull-ups. Incidentally, the initial discrepancy had been partially influenced by the usage of 'chins' for all these movements in books by Schwarzenegger (1987) and Weider (1989). Added 7 new books and a 1 new DVD to the ExRx.net Store.
- Practical Research Findings: Research examining the most effective methods of weight training
- Calculating Actual Resistance: Incorporating Percentage Bodyweight to Determine Workloads
- Body Segment Statistics: Average weights, lengths and centers of gravity for body segments
- Center of Gravity Calculations: Compute center of gravity for entire body or body segment systems
- Volunteer Opportunities: Assist us in our continued development through a Volunteership.
Other Small Additions:
- iOS (iPhone, Itouch, Ipad) Navigation Tips
- Sleep and Weight Management Tidbit.
- Additional note for Adductor Magnus (ischial fibers).
- New embedded video pages in our Links area.
Added 6 new books to the ExRx.net Store.
Added Over 40 new exercises and variations to Exercise Libraries. Added Qualitative Torque Analysis and Physiotherapy Compliance and Visual Aids. Also, it explained the New Kinesiology Terms. Added 12 new books to ExRx.net Store.
Added 19 new exercises, including Jump Rope steps and power versions of Olympic-style weight lifts (with side and slow-motion views), Replaced nearly every black & white clip with a higher frame color exercise demonstration (see Exercise & Muscle Directory). Posted e-mails: Biomechanical Research Inspired by ExRx.net and very inspirational weight loss testimony. Added additional balance studies and 2 more locker room etiquettes. Expanded plastic codes (Hormone Disruptors). Answered questions regarding Corn Syrup and Skinfold vs Circumference Measurements. Added exercise equipment to the ExRx.net Store featuring tools for Strength, Speed, Balance, and Testing.
Added Strength Standards for Snatch. It also included standards in metric. Answered visitor's question Assessing Unusual Weight Training Technique. Replaced much older black and white exercise clips with higher frame color clips. Added 24 new exercise variations including several movements performed on a Lever Barbell Machine (see Exercise & Muscle Directory). Fixed issue with silver header strip appearing correctly in MS Explorer. Added 6 books in the ExRx.net store. Also added Functional Assessment Software and DVDs for Physical Therapists working with older adults.
Added a site language translator to ExRx.net. Now ExRx.net can be read in 36 different languages! If you need to switch it back to English, select '36 More Languages' at the bottom right of the dropdown, then click 'English' at the bottom left of the popup. Added Google Analytics to our site so we can better understand how visitors interact on our site. Add 6 new books to the ExRx.net Store.
Added 34 new exercises, including 18 new plyometric exercises. Moved Olympic-style Weightlifting to separate directory. On Exercise and Muscle Directory we moved Exercises to left column and Muscles to the right column. Added Client-Centered Goal Setting Example. Added Ceasar's Salad Dressing recipe. Added Balance Exercise Examples. Add 4 new books and 2 new Illustrated Exercise Software Collections to the ExRx.net Store.
Added 12 new exercise variations. Replaced older black & white Olympic-style weightlifting clips with higher frame color clips. Most Olympic-style weight lifts now offer slow-motion clips with even more frames (see the link within exercise instruction). Posted full-length video documentaries: 1) Food Inc. 2) The Future of Food (viewing them in their entirety may change how you eat). Reiterated differences between Chest and Triceps Dips. Added 3 fitness DVDs and a PE book to ExRx.net Store.
Added over 30 new exercise variations. Added new editions to posters and textbooks to ExRx.net Store.
Added 45 more exercises and variations. Added 4 new books to ExRx.net Store.
Added 23 new exercises, including two exercises commonly prescribed for Plantar Fasciitis. Identified additional sources of Hormone Disrupters in our Food and Water. Added two new books to ExRx.net Store.
Added 30 new exercises. We are now approaching 1200 exercises total! Interviewed Dr. Bob Murray, Ph.D., FACSM (streaming audio). Added Nutrition and Diet Videos. Edited Hormone Disruptors / BPA. Added new books and DVDs to ExRx.net Store.
Added several new exercises: Chest | Waist | Hips | Thighs. Rewrote an explanation of Variable Resistance Levers under the advice of Dr. Robert Koslow. Invited ExRx.net visitors to propose questions for Dr. Bob Murray's interview. Rated New York City (Manhattan) gyms on Weewok.com while videoing over 80 new exercises. Added three new book titles.
Traffic peaks at 50,000 unique visitors daily, a new all-time high for ExRx.net. Added 25 new exercises and variations. Revised Arnold Press instructions. Added Quote. Added three new textbooks to store.
Added several new exercises to Exercise Directory. Also added/replaced video clips demonstrating proper mount and dismount techniques for various dumbbell exercises.
Added 10 new weight training exercises. Added one new book to the store. Added several more weight training exercises, including two unique equipment designs by Tracey Cheuvront. Added 7 new books to the store.
Added several new exercises to the Exercise Directory. We also started a new listing for dozens of scalable bodyweight exercises. Also, see 'weighted' exercises for other bodyweight exercise ideas. Added preface to controversial exercises. Added to Muscle page: Stretch-shortening Cycle and Musculotendionous Receptors. Added tidbits: Yo-yo Dieting and Longevity and Effects of Light Exposure on Milk. Altered recommendations for depth jump height. Added referenced Health Benefits of Weight Training and body composition stats for Toning with Weights. Redesigned home and main pages and introduced display ads to help support site. Contact us for our upcoming sponsorship program.
See Exercise Directory and Cardio Exercises for 43 new exercises and movement variations. Added Performance Effects of Environment. Added information relating to Ovaries and Gonad hormones. Answered Weightlifter's Heart question. Added postural alignment example under the explanation of Antagonist Stabilizer.
Imageline, Inc. a clip art image licensing broker has threatened us with a very large lawsuit after finding a line drawing on ExRx.net. Although I understood we had the legal right to use this image, I have decided to remove it from ExRx.net until this matter can be resolved. This line drawing was acquired from a clip art package that I had personally purchased from Sam's Warehouse ten years ago. The law firm representing Imageline, Inc. has offered to settle out of court for thousands of dollars if we are not able to produce our sales receipt and license agreement. This distraction has unfortunately impeded our progress somewhat in producing fresh content this last week.
Added several new exercises and variations to the Exercise Directory. Replaced approximately 40 older animations with new higher frame color animations. Added Lateral Raise Errors and modified Cable Exercise Errors. Added Low-Frequency Discussion with 'Bastionhead'. Added new links to weight training studies (bolded)
Added 78 new exercises/exercise variations including plate-loaded lever exercises (ie Hammer Strength) accessible within the Exercise Directory. Distinguished between plate loaded and selectorized lever machines. Also separated Machine, Partner, and Self Assisted in Latissimus Dorsi exercise menu. Replaced 30 older animations with new higher frame color animations. Incorporated several name changes to standardize nomenclature and make distinctions between similar exercises. Reorganized longer exercise listings for easier referencing. Summarized two of the longest-running Mental and Physical Well-being Longitudinal Studies (ie: insights to what make us happy and healthy). Added links to studies examining meal frequency's effect on body weight and health. Added White Bean Artichoke Hummus Recipe. Answered Walking Frequency question. Added 11 new titles to ExRx.net Store.
Added Dr. Brian Nelson's streaming audio interview.
Added Exercise and Program Compliance / Adherence. Added a few new exercises (See obliques & back). Launched our new Audio Interview Section featuring cutting edge experts in their fields. Added a few more new exercises.
Added over 20 new exercises. Began to replace some of the older exercise clips with newly produced color clips. Visit our Exercise Directory to see these updates. Added fat loss tidbit: Sugar Substitutes may promote weight gain. Added links to scientific abstracts: Sweeteners and Sugar and Ibuprofen. Started video pages on the Links page for Fight Science and Parkour/Free Running. Parkour/Free Running is a relatively new recreational activity that has the potential of attracting much more youth to physical activity; take note of fitness professionals working with teens and young adults. Also on our forum, we are announcing various experts we will be interviewing. Please submit your suggestions for questions you would like us to ask these experts. Interviews will be available as streaming audio and open for discussion on their respective forum threads.
Added customized search for exercise directories and store (upper right links) so queries can be restricted to exercises or products respectively. Added Estimated Reps at the %1RM table on the 1RM calculator page. Added Sample Full Body Weight Training Program for Athlete table on Light/Heavy Weight Training page. Answered myostatin suppression supplement question, updated Low Volume question/answer page, answered Food Exchange Unit Confusion question, and created Hamstring Raise comment page. Edited Basic Program for Women Question / Answer page. A special thanks to Shubhra Bhatnagar, who edited ExRx.net for spelling and grammatical errors.
We missed Barack Obama when he worked out at Scott Fitness 3.0 in Kansas City, MO on Tuesday, Aug 26th. At this same facility, we have been shooting dozens of hours of exercise video to replace many of the aging exercise clips on ExRx.net. A staff member of Scott Fitness was contacted by the secret service that morning. Mr. Obama arrived at 8:30 AM along with dozens of federal agents. While agents stood guard around the building, Barack performed a leg workout consisting of heavy leg presses. While on the treadmill, he appeared to be reading in the dimly lit room. Approximately 40 minutes later, he left with his entourage. Interestingly, no other club members were using the facility at the time of his workout. This location is the newest and least utilized of the Scott Fitness KC metro chain. In a large warehouse/workshop building located in the crossroads, this facility is uniquely styled with 1950 to 1970 decor. In addition to an art gallery, an old living room, dining room, kitchen, and a restaurant setting with vintage paraphernalia surround the exercise areas - kind of like working out at a museum or great grandma's house!
Check out our newest websites.
Started a new page for Water and Hormone Disruptors. Add more information on Vitamin D. Added Glycemic Load Table. Updated Fats and healthier fat progressive goals. Added Omega-3 in Seafood. Added 'trans fat' category in Fat Exchanges. Updated life expectancies to reflect the latest available 2005 US statistics (an increase of about 6 months from 2002) and added 'daily hydrogenated fat' response in Health Age Questionnaire. Added various informational pieces throughout the site in Tidbits. Added Dip Bar Width tip. Added more flexibility assessments for the shoulder. Answered Target Muscle Question. Added many stretches and weight training exercises to Exercise Directory.
Added Squat Form. Moved and expanded Conditions and Medications That Make Weight Loss Difficult.
Added Upright Row Safety and started Sample Split Program Design Flaws. Added Windchill Index. Added four cardio-calisthenic exercises and several new weight training exercises in color animation. Added mount and dismount animations to Dumbbell Decline Bench Press and Dumbbell Bench Press (see link under 'Comments').
Added Training Principles and Variation Examples and Advanced Weight Training Techniques and Circuit Training Info. Updated Exercise Safety page; edited and expanded Over Generalizations and added Sports Conditioning. Added 13 additional stretches including several PNF stretches. Changed CSS to display more legible text on Firefox and Safari web browsers. Added additional suggestions for individuals with hip extensor, shoulder transverse adductor/flexor, and external rotation inflexibilities. Added various tidbits throughout the site. Added bread crumb links near the top of each page for easier navigation. Changed site's text font to Arial. Added Too wide of grip error and muscle fiber type table. Edited Large Glutes. Updated Health Age Calculator.
Redesigned main pages. Added additional abbreviated progressive resistance training program for beginners requiring minimal equipment (four exercises). ExRx.net now offers online study modules to earn CEUs for those with NSCA certifications.
Updated Tension Curve and Scapulohumeral Rhythm definitions and explanations. Defined Basic Exercise characteristics. Updated Winged Scapula and The Burn. Added Sports Performance to Squat Analysis, and Sports Conditioning to Specific Adaptation. Consolidated Sports Conditioning in Mechanics in Exercise: Alignment.
In addition to animated demonstrations, added still image sequences for the clean and snatch. Updated bodybuilding section. Also added Comparison of Dietary Fats and Micronutrients (Vitamins and Minerals).
Added Quadratus Lumborum and Transverse Abdominis. Added illustrations, including cross-section diagrams of waist muscles. Added illustrations to Weightlifting for Special Populations. Added Popliteus and Cheating and Overtraining Intervention and 1904 Physical Culture Pictures. Added Dumbbell One-Arm Straight Leg Deadlift. Added Gym Etiquette and Common Weight Training Mistakes. Updated Angle of Pull. Added additional illustrations to Low back Tidbits. Added Lever Push Crunch and a new Lever Triceps Extension. Reorganized Exercise Information and Kinesiology menus. Separated Weight Training and Kinesiology Glossaries. Consolidated Weight Training Safety and Balance information. Added Alignment, and Hip Abductor Weakness. Added illustrations to Serratus Anterior, and within Weaknesses under Hamstring and Supraspinatus. Began Muscle Detraining. Updated Angle of Pull, Training Specificity, Quotes, and numerous other articles. Dr. Kilgore contributes Weightlifting for Special Populations and additional weightlifting protocols.
ExRx.net received well over 1 million visits (20,726,965 hits) in January, ranking first in Google search for keywords such as "Exercise Instruction" and "Weight Training". Added Mechanics pages and Balance pages. Updated Concept II rower damper setting instructions.
Added 1904 publication Physical Exercise and Culture and Their Bearings On Health and Strength. Dr. Lon Kilgore generously contributed Weightlifting Shoes 101
Added more illustrations.
San Francisco based publishing company expresses interest in purchasing ExRx.net. Inquiry declined.
Included NCEP Blood Lipid Guidelines and Average Sprint Distances and Rest Intervals for Sports. Modified Dietary Guidelines to emphasize fruits and vegetables.
Launched New Forum. Added over 70 new exercise instructions with animated gifs; see Exercise Directory, Power Exercises, and Cardio Exercises. Also added Youth Test Norms and Full Squat Flexibility Question Answer.
Added 15 stretches to the Exercise Directory including Precor Stretch Trainer and sample PNF stretches. Added illustrations of Elbow positioning for Olympic-style weight lifts. Added Abdominal Vacuum exercise for Transverse Abdominus.
ExRx.net is accepting applications from qualified graduate and undergraduate students for dual internship positions at Scott Fitness in Kansas City, MO, and ExRx.net. See the internship description. Updated Modified ACSM Risk Classification Calculator to reflect new guideline parameters.
ExRx.net is a recommended internet resource in the ACSM's Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, pgs 224, 349.
Added Olympic-style Weightlifting Workouts provided by Dr. Lonnie Kilgor, Ph.D., Director of the MSU Strength Research Laboratory & USA Weightlifting Regional Development Center, and former national weightlifting champion.
Added references and tidbits, including a weight training study summary conducted by a former college roommate and friend, Keith Corder. Added 27 more stretches to the Exercise Directory. Added Deep Hip External Rotators to Muscle Directory. Added Short Sprint Interval Training Guidelines and Sample Programs, and quotes page.
Added 2-mile run, as used in the US Army, to assess cardiovascular fitness. Added formula (curvilinear) to predict walking energy expenditure beyond 3.7 mph (6 km/h) up to 4.9 mph (7.9 km/h). Added flexibility section to Fitness Test Form to record the assessment of multiple joints. Added links page to various online journals. Added new titles to book and video stores.
Added the Katch-McArdle BMR formula as an option in the Estimated Calorie Requirement Calculator. Reprogrammed the BMI Calculator to include both US and metric units. Added Full Body Workout question/answer. Added Sprint Speed Calculator. Reprogrammed Target Heart Calculator to calculate the percent range of maximum heart rate or heart rate reserve based upon either actual maximum heart rate or age-predicted heart rate. Added ACSM Metabolic Calculators: Walk / Run | Cycle Ergometer (Mechanical & Electronic) | Step. Updated aerobic condition information: Intensity Prescription and Cardiovascular Fitness. Updated Flexibility article with prescription guidelines: Stretching and Flexibility.
Added Modified ACSM Risk Classification Form and Running VO2 / Injury Study. Added Waist Hip Ratio Calculator. The formula for calculating scores on several fitness testing calculators has been changed (from polynomial to sigmoid curve) to have extreme scores more accurately reflect percentiles.
The American Board of Family Practice (ABFP), a member board of the American Board of Medical Specialties, is granted permission to post a link to the Food Exchange Calculator on the ABFP website, www.abfp.org, as part of its certification program for family physicians.
Added Vitals Calculator to assess heart rate and blood pressure. Added Weight Training tips Identify Initial Resistances and Arm Positions During Waist Exercises. Modified Weight Loss Tips and Dietary Guidelines and Low Back Tidbits. Updated Medical Clearance Form. The updated general content and added additional references. Updated Kids Fat Loss Strategies. Added Post-Exercise Palpation of Pulse Rate Study and Instruction for Participant before Testing and Water's Thermogenic Effect Study and Undereating Case Study.
New York Police Department (NYPD) is granted permission to republish the ExRx.net Exercise Readiness Questionnaire for use with their employees.
Consortium for Infant and Child Health (CINCH) is granted permission to republish Childhood and Teenage Obesity: Intervention Strategies. This article will be included in the Healthy Kids Kit for Food & Fitness, a grant-funded and non-profit manual for the lay community. The CINCH is part of the Center for Pediatric Research (Norfolk, VA), a joint program of Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters and Eastern Virginia Medical School.
Added article outline Goals and content to question/answer column: 4 Day Split | Smith Good Morning. It also created a Medium-Light-Heavy Log example and an additional low volume method. Added several tidbits throughout the site, added Common Training Mistakes | Energy Proportion Graphs | Interval Training, Speed and Agility Training and added content to question/answer column: Supplements | Lever Machine Discomfort | Kid's Weight Training
Ranking.com ranks ExRx.net as the most popular fitness site on the internet. The ranking is based on visitors, unique visitors, page views, and links to ExRx.net.
ExRx becomes a Limited Liability Company: ExRx.net LLC.
21 October 2003
Added 18 additional weight training exercises.
17& 28 Sept 2003
ACSM Curl-up / YMCA Half Sit-up fitness testing calculator and YMCA Bench Press Calculator added after over 4 months of development. Mathematical algorithms were calculated from multi-regression curve fitting techniques using standardized norm tables.
22 July 2003
I ran into an old KSU classmate and former National Olympic Weightlifting Champion, Lon Kilgore, Ph.D. at the US Olympic Training Complex in Colorado Springs where he presented his research at a sports science conference. Dr. Kilgore is a professor and the Strength Research Laboratory Director at the USA Weightlifting Regional Development Center at Midwestern State University. We discussed the applicability of the Hormonal Fluctuation Model to the female athlete. Glenn Pendlay (former Jr World Powerlifting Champion), another KSU graduate, also works with Dr. Kilgore at the USA Weightlifting Regional Development Center at Midwestern State University.
11 Jan 2003
TopOfEverything.com rates ExRx.net as one of the top fitness sites.
Yahoo rates ExRx.net as one of the most popular fitness sites.
29 Oct 2002
Wyle Laboratories contacts ExRx.net seeking permission to use our exercise instruction materials for the new NASA Astronaut Fitness Manual.
1 April 2002
ExRx.net average data transfer has exceeded one Gigabyte daily.
7 Feb 2002
We have tried 5 hosts in the last 8 months. Someone finally recommended web host Glorb Internet Service. They have the best service of any web host we have ever encountered; outstanding customer service!
1 Feb 2002
ExRx was cited some times in a Fitness Management (Feb 2002) article "Pre-Participate Health and Fitness Assessment" (pgs 44-49) as a resource for online fitness testing calculators and procedures.
29 Jan 2002
We began receiving notices from our current host that ExRx.net is exceeding its bandwidth quota despite the company's advertisement for unlimited bandwidth. It is time to look for a new host, particularly since we have been receiving terrible customer service. Also, visitors have reported difficulty in loading pages during peak hours. "Your site exrx.net has exceeded its bandwidth quota in the period beginning on 2002-01-08. Your quota is set to 15728640000 bytes, and your site has consumed 785801826 bytes beyond that quota."
8 Jan 2002
We found another new host since our last web host pulled the plug due to our high traffic. Incidentally, like the other hosts, they advertised unlimited bandwidth.
12-17 December 2001
Our host took ExRx.net down despite us believing we had come to an understanding. Desperately searching for a new host! ExRx.net is only 22 MB and hosts 3,000 to 5,000 individual visitors daily.
16-18 Nov 2001
I had the honor of attending the 3rd Annual SWIS Symposium. speakers included Bill Pearl (history of weight training) Dorian Yates (Mr. Olympia) and Bill Kazmaire (world's strongest man), and Ian King (strength and conditioning guru), Dr. Digby Sale, Ph.D. (neural adaptation to strength training), Dr. Mauro di Pasquale, MD (world's foremost expert on drugs in sports), and of course, Dr. Eric Serrano, MD (Cutting Edge Supplements). I also had the privilege to meet Mohamed Makkawy, Scott Mendelson, and Mistress Krista.
26 Oct 2001
Dr. Ken Kinakins of SWIS visited ExRx.net and invited me to Toronto, Canada as his guest to attend the International Weight Training Injury Symposium which he hosts. He noticed I knew Dr. Eric Serrano, MD, my old classmate, roommate, and ExRx.net benefactor. Eric will be one of many presenters at this conference.
2 Nov 2001
Although our host promised unlimited bandwidth they have threatened to take ExRx.net down because it generates 17 Gigabytes of traffic monthly, although we only have about 4000 individual visitors daily. ExRx has had this much traffic since we started our account with them in June. Just last Thursday, though, a representative called me and said we have exceeded the 5 GB monthly bandwidth capacity and we may be taken offline as soon as that evening if we don't pay more. They are trying to extort us to pay 5 times as we pay now; we've already paid up until June 2002 and if we go somewhere else they will charge a penalty fee to buy back my domain name, although it is in my name.
6 Sept 2001
In the past, we were able to answer an occasional exercise-related question. We'd continued to receive such an overwhelming number of e-mails seeking advice, we were unable to answer the numerous inquires. As a result, we are proud to announce ExRx Consultation Service for those earnestly seeking our personal and professional assistance. We appreciate your understanding and patronage. Sorry, we have discontinued this service. Please post your questions on our Forum.
6 July 2001
I will be introducing exercise consultation services through ExRx.net. I've received such an overwhelming number of e-mails seeking free advice, I am unable to keep up.
28 June 2001
22 July 2000
Signed up with CCNOW, our authorized online retailer to offer products through ExRx.net Store. This will provide a revenue stream for the maintenance of ExRx.net and offers a rationale for continued work on the site.
ExRx finally goes online using 10 MB of free webspace provided by a local internet provider.
James Griffing begins work, converting his master's report An Interactive Multimedia Computer Database of 250 Weight Training Exercises to the web (HTML). Dr. Eric Serrano generously provides a small grant to purchase computer software and accessories for the project.