Page 26 of 32

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 am
by Jungledoc
pdellorto wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:Peter--I didn't see where you wrote about the job opportunity. I looked around, and don't see it. Must have been on another thread. What's up?
It's in my journal. I had a job interview yesterday at a community gym, for a full-time job. I can't post details, obviously, but I'm hoping to get it. At first blush it sounds like exactly the kind of job I'm looking for - good floor rate, emphasis on member services not membership sales, benefits, etc. The best part is, I applied long before the job came up, just in case - on the recommendation of my trainer at DeFranco's. So maybe that'll lead me to two jobs, heh. I already got one partly on the strength of what I learned training there.
That's great!

Are they taking into account the fact that you are a Deific Wizard of Sagacity? I'd think that wold clinch the deal.

Good luck! How soon will you know?

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:26 am
by pdellorto
Jungledoc wrote: Are they taking into account the fact that you are a Deific Wizard of Sagacity? I'd think that wold clinch the deal.
I really need to add that to my resume.
Jungledoc wrote:Good luck! How soon will you know?
The employer never seems to be as anxious to determine these things as the potential employee does. So I think it'll be maybe a week or so before I know if I'm back for the next round of interviews.

I know I can do the job, and generally I do very well at interviews, but you never know. I should have mentioned my title, for sure.

Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:43 pm
by hoosegow
Pete,
Have you pushed the Prowler on grass and at the gym? What is the difference on the resistance?

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:34 am
by pdellorto
hoosegow wrote:Pete,
Have you pushed the Prowler on grass and at the gym? What is the difference on the resistance?
I've pushed it on fake turf in two different gyms, and on asphalt on a recently paved street, and on asphalt in a badly-patched parking lot. Here's what I think of those:

Parking lot - the prowler moves more easily until it hits a rock and lodges into place. Lots of foot slippage because you don't get a lot of traction.

Street - smoothest ride for the prowler, a little bit of foot slippage.

Turf - the gym I work at has somewhat slippery turf. The prowler really bites into the turf, but my shoes don't, so I can't push it very heavy before my shoes are the weak point and I slip instead of push.

At DeFranco's they have really good turf. It really bites into the prowler's skids hard, so it's a bitch to push. But you don't slip, period, so you have all the traction you need to push it. The combination means the prowler is heavier (more traction) but you can load it up because it's the limit of your leg strength, not slipping or falling on loose rocks or getting stuck in ruts in the road, that holds you back.

That's why I can barely push the prowler with 1 plate on each horn at my work gym, but I can run the prowler with 3 plates on each horn at DeFranco's...yet even a few months ago 2 plates on the asphalt outside was too much. My legs could push it, but I couldn't get enough traction to really drive into it.

Does that all make sense? I haven't tried it on real grass...yet.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm
by pdellorto
I'm debating doing a few cycles of 5/3/1 for front squats instead of my extra conditioning on Fridays.

I did 5 x 145 on Friday, so that predicts a 1RM of around 165-170 (depending on how you calculate). Either way, that means I'd start with 150 as my working max, for:

5+ x 130
3+ x 135
1+ x 145

For assistance work, I'd do either 5 x 10 front squats or slightly heavier 5 x 10 back squats, plus those cable quadruped extensions, plus Pallof presses if I have time. I'd start a little heavy on the BBB work though - I'm pretty sure I could handle 5 x 10 x 95 right off the bat, and probably do 5 x 10 QHEs, too.

I'm still debating this, but I think I can get in a cycle or two before I need to concentrate on pre-fight conditioning (assuming I compete in December like I'd like to). Just musing at this point, but I'll decide quickly so I can start this week if I'm doing it.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 pm
by pdellorto
Okay, if I do this cycle, here's how it would look:

5 x 100 5 x 115 5+ x 130
3 x 105 3 x 120 3+ x 135
5 x 115 3 x 130 1+ x 145

Front Squat 5 x 10 x 95
Quadruped Hip Extensions 5 x 10 x ? (probably 32 pounds to start)
Pallof Press (various stances, sometimes cable, sometimes band/tube resisted).

If I don't have time, such as this Friday (I expect to be tired from Thursday's training and I'll need to run to work) I'll just do the work sets and then one or two sets of Pallof Presses to finish it off.

Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:55 am
by pdellorto
So, I did my first cycle of 5/3/1 front squats. How did it go?

I did a 5 x 145 set an used that to set up my training max - 150, based on an estimated 165-170 pound 1RM.

My workouts looked like this:
5 x 100 5 x 115 5+ x 130 (got 10, predicted 1RM of 169)
3 x 105 3 x 120 3+ x 135 (got 9, predicted 1RM of 171)
5 x 115 3 x 130 1+ x 145 (got 7, predicted 1RM of 174)

Not bad!

My next cycle would be either 155 or 160 training max. I'm leaning towards 155, just to keep it simple. But I'm also debating dropping this after a mere 1 cycle because my lower back tends to feel it. I'm going to read more about front squats and possible low back issues, because I'm wondering if I'm not overstressing it by doing these.

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:29 pm
by Jungledoc
This is about the TB DLs yest. You say you're weak off the floor, but you break the big weights just fine, slowing down in mid lift. Doesn't that mean that you're stronger off the floor than you are are at lock-out? Or at least mid-range? How about some rack pulls, gradually increasing the range?

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:27 pm
by pdellorto
Jungledoc wrote:This is about the TB DLs yest. You say you're weak off the floor, but you break the big weights just fine, slowing down in mid lift. Doesn't that mean that you're stronger off the floor than you are are at lock-out? Or at least mid-range? How about some rack pulls, gradually increasing the range?
I'm going by Kenny's idea that the weak point is just below where you stick. I stick just off the floor, so it stands to reason that I'm weak right on the floor.

I'd only generously call stalling below the knee as "mid lift." :wink:

Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 pm
by Jungledoc
Well, OK then.

But Kenny's explanation was that momentum carries you a little bit past your weak point. You have no momentum coming off the floor! I do like Stephen's suggestion of the snatch-grip DLs off a step. I think you suggested that to me once a long time ago. Snatch-grip deads, anyway.

Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:38 am
by pdellorto
Jungledoc wrote:But Kenny's explanation was that momentum carries you a little bit past your weak point. You have no momentum coming off the floor!
Sure I do. The bar doesn't, but I've got a stretch-shortening reflex from sitting down hard into the bottom - I'm ready to pop back up to standing.

I'd been thinking deficits, so I'm not surprised at the suggestion!

Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:52 am
by Jungledoc
I watched the video of DeFranco's new gym. Pretty nice!

Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:05 am
by pdellorto
This is old, but it's been offline for a while - an online sports program did a spot on my MMA gym.

I'm representing in my DeFranco's T-shirt. Watch my cruddy punches. Listen to my reedy voice. And yes, my coach always mentions "nuturing" when he's torturing me during sparring. Heheh. Still funny editing. "Nurturing" followed by BAM! "BREATHE!" Heh.

Part I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSUU2mG4uSA

Part II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUaJULZ6M4o

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:13 pm
by A. moss
I read you have a big test coming up? What is it?

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:16 am
by pdellorto
A. moss wrote:I read you have a big test coming up? What is it?
You can see the results. I can't discuss it much yet. But you can see what I did if not the exact parameters and restrictions and so on.

The 1.5 mile run beat my body up, I'm just not built for that. But I did what I could!