Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:47 pm

5 x 5 x 90#? Ah, crap.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 am

No. You misunderstood.

90.5#

I decided in this case that I should not round.

That's 9 3/4 plates: 13# for the first plate, 10# for each additional plate, and 3 little 2 1/2# add-on weights. That's 90.5#. :lol:

Seriously (like anyone would believe that), I tried doing them the way I understand your description of how you do them, and my way is easier. Or maybe I was just worn out. I'll try them your way again when I'm fresh.

This is basically what I do, using a towel for a pull:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16yCo1f ... re=related
except that I rotate my hands. It's supination, although I don't suppose that's clear with the hands by the ears. I try to end with my 5th knuckle by my ear and my hands vertical.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:23 am

Jungledoc wrote:No. You misunderstood.

90.5#
Ouch. Heh. I probably won't get that high. But I'm going to try to keep my face pulls climbing up and up.

Jungledoc wrote:This is basically what I do, using a towel for a pull:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16yCo1f ... re=related
except that I rotate my hands. It's supination, although I don't suppose that's clear with the hands by the ears. I try to end with my 5th knuckle by my ear and my hands vertical.
Okay, that's a little different. Mine has more rotation in them. It's a hell of a superset combined with rowing, let me tell you. It's like I take tired muscles and hit them up for stamina. I guess that's the point, to get my stamina up.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Jungledoc wrote:93# x 5/5/5/5/6**
Nice. 6 x 93# is really nice.

I'm still doing them for reps. I'm curious how much weight I can do. I'll have to figure out an excuse to test it...

At least I can see the effectiveness in my impressive gains on seated DB power cleans, scarecrows, etc. Anything with rear delts is going up, up, up. But yeah...I need to see if I can beat ya. Maybe I need to cash in one of those gym visit coupons on an off-day and just do face pulls. I can't see getting away with them at DeFranco's before my workout and after it I'm too fatigued. :)

Hey, if I plug 20 x 50# here, it shows a one-rep max of 80#. 6 x 93# shows 109#. So you've got me whupped, Dr. J!
Last edited by pdellorto on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:51 pm

And now for the first time, I really believe that thost calculators are spot-on!

In general, I'm stronger in pull than in push. Aren't most people the opposite?

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:06 pm

I'm strong pulling than pushing. I think many trainees emphasize pushing to such an extent they get imbalanced - especially bench pressing.

I'm curious if we're equally unbalanced, just in the other direction?

I actually don't feel like I pulled that much today, just some pulldowns, face pulls, scarecrows. The heavy stuff was all pushing. But I can't fault the results, right? Maybe I was off balance in the other direction.

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:21 pm

If it makes you guys feel better I can pull more than I can push, in general. But my pressing exercises all suck. So maybe that's not so good...

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:03 am

Face-pull is one of those lifts where the end-point is a little nebulous. There's no clear lock-out point. The way I have been doing them, there is nothing to touch. I try to pull past my ears. If my upper arms were shorter or my lower arms were longer, I could touch my ears with each rep, which would give me a reference point. Pulling my hands in close enough to touch would make it a little different exercise.

My training partner (my wife) isn't always there to watch (she gets her stuff done faster than me, and leaves me there to suffer alone, which is OK, since it means that supper will be ready sooner than if she waited for me), and she gets tired of my asking "am I coming all the way past my ears?" So if I feel that I've gotten it back far enough, I count it. So it's an honor thing. I did the reps, I promise.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:11 am

Today was a workout that should not have been. I'm on call, and I often skip my work-out if I'm on call on a lifting day. The call schedule usually has me on call on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so my Monday and Wednesday w/o days usually are fine, but with only 4 people sharing call, inevitably I'm occasionally on call on a Monday. I usually take it as a good time to have a de-load day. I was feeling a bit warn.

But no, I had to push it. After my 3rd set of chins/push-ups my arms and chest cramped up. By the end of the 90 seconds of rest, it was just getting worse. I don't think I could have done 1 rep of either one. I kept extending the rest by 30 seconds, but by the 5 minute point I say the light and told my wife that I was done for the day. I stayed and waited for her to finish (a reversal of the usual pattern) the we went home and I collapsed and let her fix supper alone. Right now I feel like crap. I'm going to go slouch in my recliner and hope I don't get called for anything big.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Front squats. Why to "they" always tell you to stick your elbows out, and extend your wrists? What's wrong with keeping your arms under the bar like you would setting up for presses? Well, I guess it's harder to keep the weight against your chest/clavicles, where I suppose it's better to support the weight. But it feels awful on my wrists. This is what's going to limit the weight. In fact, I have trouble focusing on form, tight core, etc. because the wrists are so distracting.

This is everyone's last chance to convince me that I should stick to front squats before I go back to low-bar back squats forever.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Doc, see
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/FS.htm
for some front squat alternatives to get around the wrist flexibility thingy.
Tim

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:04 pm

Yeah, I was worried you might start cheating on the face pulls a little to keep ahead of me. That's why I didn't even write down the 3 x 10 x 150# I did last workout...I figured it would just cut your ROM down even more.

:neu:

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:07 pm

TimD wrote:Doc, see
http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/FS.htm
for some front squat alternatives to get around the wrist flexibility thingy.
Tim
Thanks, Tim. I'll try some of that before I give up on them.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 pm

pdellorto wrote:Yeah, I was worried you might start cheating on the face pulls a little to keep ahead of me. That's why I didn't even write down the 3 x 10 x 150# I did last workout...I figured it would just cut your ROM down even more.

:neu:
Yeah, I figured it was something like that. I appreciate your sensitivity to my feelings. :lol:

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:21 pm

I'm all about the sensitive feelings.