Andy's Journal Comments

Discuss online journals with trainers and training peers

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:11 am

KPj wrote:See, when I said 'impinge' or 'impingement zone', I didn't mean 'impingement syndrome'. It's actually quite a 'false' term.
I understand.

I think I know what's happening. As I abduct my arm the biceps tendon is lying just under the edge of the acromion. If I have some loading on my arm, the biceps is at least stabilizing, so the tendon is taut. As I raise my arm, the humeral head comes up trapping ("impinging") the tendon against the acromion, not tightly enough to cause pain, but to tether it there. As I adduct, the tendon is released, allowing to snap out from under the acromion (since it is still under tension.

I'm thinking that this is a pretty valuable discovery, in that if I had continued doing the WG pull-ups and the lateral raises it would have started putting more pressure on the tendon, and could have caused trouble. I'll work on posture issues and shoulder retraction, depression first before doing these again.

KPj
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by KPj » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:42 am

I look at WG pull ups sort of like the Leg Press. Yes, we know it can give you big quads, but the question is, can you get big quads without using a leg press? Of course you can. The reason people do WG pull ups is to 'place more emphasis on the lats'. It probably works (Arnie said it, so of course it works). I just don't think it's a necessity. I know I easily have bigger lats now than I did when I trained before, and before, it was WG or nothing. But i'm ~170lbs, not exactly a great frame of reference for the bodybuilders out there, and if i'm being honest, my diet now is much better than it was back then.

I just think you should save the joints where possible. If you can get the same results with less stress on the joints doing something else, you should. In the case of pull ups, well, you have every other grip possible that won't put you in the impingement zone. Personally, when using a pronated grip, I go a little wider than shoulder width.

KPj

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:35 am

I've re-read the Shoulder Savers articles again (for the umteenth time--they're starting to sink in), and I'm making some changes now. I'll work in some scap push-ups. I'm looking at the structural balance issues. I'm doing heavy DB rows, and was doing face pulls last cycle for scapular retraction to balance the benching I'm doing. I'm adding in straight-arm pull-downs for scapular depression, and I'll drop the Cubans, which is the only scapula elevator I've been doing. I'll increase how often I do the external rotations to balance the stuff I do that tends to be internally rotating. Not big changes, really. In a few weeks I'll try the lat raises again, and see what happens. I may or may not try the WG pull-ups.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:06 am

Doc, I think you've got the math wrong on the dumbbells. You can do less than 50% of your bench per dumbbell.

This is why I can do only 3 x 175# on the barbell bench press, but I can do 8 reps with 60# dumbbells or rep out in the twenties and teens with 45# dumbells.

The number I keep in my head is 45% - you can use a dumbbell of about 45% of your barbell bench press for that same rep count. Combined they'll be 90%, give or take.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:12 pm

Yeah, OK. That makes sense. I'm a wimp either way. I was hoping I was only a wimp with the bar.

[sigh]

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 pm

You taught the new female doc to squat? That's great!

And 3 x 3 x 155# is very nice, too.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:15 am

Yeah. She's relatively young, flexible, and has kept up her general fitness, so it wasn't too bad. Getting her to keep doing it may be another story.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:09 pm

That's always the hard part - "Gee, those were hard. Don't you have anything easier that'll work as well?"

Anyway...what kind of flyes did you do?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:02 am

pdellorto wrote:That's always the hard part - "Gee, those were hard. Don't you have anything easier that'll work as well?"

Anyway...what kind of flyes did you do?
I dunno. Just regular flyes. Flat bench, dumbbell in each hand, elbows bent about 30 degrees, bring the bells up and together.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:10 am

So I have a little over 3 weeks before leaving for the 4 months of home assignment in the US, so that seems a good transition time to use for some goals.

I DLd today, and I'm close to a couple of nice round numbers. Goal number 1 is to do full-range DL 300# before leaving PNG. All I have to do is add 5# two weeks and 10# the third week. I'll be happy with a single at 300.

Goal number 2 is to rack-pull from 8" 330#. I just have to add 5# per week, and again, I'll be happy with a single. 330 is all the plates we have for the OB. While I'm away, 300# of new plates should arrive, as well as a new bar and new bench!

I'll think about goals for other lifts, but if I maintain everything else, and do that with DLs I'll be quite happy.

I thought I'd have stated goals for my time in the US. The biggest issue will be weight gain. I'll be traveling a lot, probably relying on fast food places a certain amount. Also, when we speak, there is usually a dinner, and everyone tries to feed you a lot, so I'll have to pay attention to that. So my goal is not to go over 180#, and to lift at least twice per week. I may be interrupted for a few weeks by eye surgery, so we'll see.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:05 pm

Jungledoc wrote:While I'm away, 300# of new plates should arrive, as well as a new bar and new bench!
Oh, good. That'll mean your next goal can be 1 x 630# deadlift.

Go Andy, Go!

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to hold both O Bars at once....

stuward

Post by stuward » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 am

Jungledoc wrote:I'm trying to figure out how to hold both O Bars at once....
One in each hand.

pdellorto

Post by pdellorto » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:41 am

Back Squat

165 x 3 x 3
Nice! That's solid. I can't wait until my knee is 100%, as soon as it's feeling solid I'm going to beg, beg, beg to box squat again.

As for the bench, I wouldn't worry. Straining at the 165 probably didn't help. But if you're trying to improve it, I'd drop the weights down a little and go for some more volume. Work to your 3-rep max for a set or two or three, or work to your 3-rep max and then back down and try to get a set or two of 8-10 reps. Yeah, hypertrophy range. I found I got good results when I did this.

It's probably not by mistake my barbell bench press is going up now but I barbell bench less than once a week...instead I'm always doing sub-maximal high-rep stuff like pushups and DB bench pressing.

Not sure if that helps. It helped me...I can't tell you how many times I ran at doing a 70kg bench press (155# !!!!) and failed, or I squirmed under 67.5kg and wondering if my form was okay on the lift. Now 155# is part of my warmup weight or it's a backdown set.

Oh, and I hear you on the advice. Someone asked me about lifting and I was telling him, basically, "Learn to squat and eat more" and next thing you know it, two or three other guys are giving him advice on pushups, he'd got to do his running and cycling, what time of day to lift, etc. Confusing for a trainee. Who do you listen to? I hope your advice is what sticks.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:31 am

Thanks. I'll try the back-off sets.

Fortunately, the know-it-all is only here for a few weeks. Q and I are here for the duration (at least until he finished school and goes back to the US for college). I'll try to get him off to a good start for now and then work with him more when I get back.

In the US I can lift with Sam and his buddies. That'll be fun, if I manage to not let him talk me into any crazy routines! His roommate has already challenged me to a pull-up competition. Yeah, that's what I need, a competition with a 19-year old!

There's a CrossFit place in the town were we'll be staying. He charges $50 for private sessions. I forgot to ask if he has classes in basic barbell technique. I know I'm not gonna be spending 50/hr for weightlifting lessons! I'll see. I suppose that most CrossFit places do some other stuff than just straight CrossFit.

By the way it looks like our time in Pennsylvania is all in the western part around Pittsburgh. I'm guessing that's a long way to work out that cup of coffee.