Nunn's Log

Discuss online journals with trainers and training peers

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

User avatar
stuward
moderator
moderator
Posts: 6642
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Post by stuward » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:05 am

Good lifting Jason. I like the video.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:59 am

stuward wrote:Good lifting Jason. I like the video.
Thanks Stuward!

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:58 am

I can't believe you farmer's walk with 351 pounds in each hand. :eek:

That's like my 1RM for deadlifts with two hands.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 am

pdellorto wrote:I can't believe you farmer's walk with 351 pounds in each hand. :eek:

That's like my 1RM for deadlifts with two hands.
That's funny cause I'm like 3rd best in my group! Here's a vid of my training partner doing 405 each hand :ex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBzI0mo6g

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Jason Nunn wrote:That's funny cause I'm like 3rd best in my group! Here's a vid of my training partner doing 405 each hand :ex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBzI0mo6g
My goodness. I mean, I know it's not nearly the same ROM as a deadlift; it's designed to be a bit easier to pick up because the point is the carry, not the lift. But that's 810 pounds he's got there...

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:16 am

pdellorto wrote:
Jason Nunn wrote:That's funny cause I'm like 3rd best in my group! Here's a vid of my training partner doing 405 each hand :ex:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lBzI0mo6g
My goodness. I mean, I know it's not nearly the same ROM as a deadlift; it's designed to be a bit easier to pick up because the point is the carry, not the lift. But that's 810 pounds he's got there...
Yeah he's a beast. Also those 351's I was using are actually quite the difficult pick. Here's a vid of Dave Mihalov (Lightweight Pro National Champ) doing the very same ones at a comp a while back. Notice how low the pick is! These tanks suck! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9YGhve1VNo

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Only 905? Only 50 feet? Well, I guess that's sorta good.

:wink:


Joke, joke.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 pm

pdellorto wrote:Only 905? Only 50 feet? Well, I guess that's sorta good.

:wink:


Joke, joke.
That's funny. We were actually talking about this on a strongman forum a couple days ago. The promoter listed the competition weight for the yoke at 880, then, in parentheses, he says (but it feels like 800). Only 800 lol.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:12 pm

Jason Nunn wrote:18"Deadlift x 1/Bicep Curls x 10 each arm*/Side Lying External Rotation
Just asking about your workout. I'm assuming that the weights listed are for the rack pull, and that you throw in the curls and ERs between sets. Sort of a SS? Any other rest than the time to do the curls and ERs?

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Jungledoc wrote:
Jason Nunn wrote:18"Deadlift x 1/Bicep Curls x 10 each arm*/Side Lying External Rotation
Just asking about your workout. I'm assuming that the weights listed are for the rack pull, and that you throw in the curls and ERs between sets. Sort of a SS? Any other rest than the time to do the curls and ERs?
Your correct. I was not doing bicep curls with 755 :lol:

Yes, they were a superset. I was running out of time and wanted to get those in, as well as, my hill sprints, so I just threw them together. The rest interval was just long enough to change the weights. I like doing it this way anyways. As an added bonus, you get a little lactate threshold training which is good for strongman anyways.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah, I just noticed some potential good combinations in my current workout. Hadn't planned it, but needed to hurry, so I did it. Now I think I'll keep doing it on most days.

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Yea, it's a real good time saver. I just try not to use competeing exercises ei supersetting rows with bicep curls. I've always done these, I guess I just need to stop being lazy about the details in my journal.

User avatar
Jungledoc
moderator
moderator
Posts: 7578
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:08 pm

My combos are
g'morning/seated row/TRX fallout
DB press/chins
split squats/DB swings/Palofs

Jason Nunn
Associate Member
Associate Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

Post by Jason Nunn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:48 pm

Jungledoc wrote:My combos are
g'morning/seated row/TRX fallout
DB press/chins
split squats/DB swings/Palofs
looks fine to me. You'll also enjoy the added cardio challenge!

User avatar
pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Posts: 5252
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 8:43 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by pdellorto » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:34 pm

I'm glad my blog helped you find the TRX prone reach. Bookmark Dewey Nielson's blog. He doesn't post a huge amount but he posts very good stuff.

Post Reply