Can you help me?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward, Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

mummia20
former lurker

Can you help me?

Post by mummia20 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm

Hello, I started an Extrema Fitness Challenge Class at my gym 8 weeks ago and I've been doing great at the fitness part but I just can't seem to get myself to eat right. I don't really eat junk food I just don't eat enough good foods (I have stuff like Grape Nuts for breakfast, Lunch is hit or miss I'm on the run a lot, and I always have a good size dinner with a mean, veggie, and sometime potato (my fitness instructor told me I should not be eating potatoes but I think she is crazy). Anyways, I can't seem to come up with quick and healthy lunch ideas. I could really use some advice from you guys. I eat a lot of Chicken for dinner, i try to limit my red meat.

I don't drink pop (or soda as many of you call it) nor do I drink alcohol that often. I normally only drink water (sometime with lipton to go packs) and unsweetened iced tea.

I love Ice Cream. I don't buy it to have it in the house, but I will go out for it about once or twice a month. And when I do I like to go all out with the two scoop sundae.

I have a really heard time coming up with a meal plan so if anyone could help me that would be GREAT! But I know that that is asking a lot. So if you could just give me some good meals I can put them all togeather and make a meal plan for myself.

I'm a bit of a picky eater but I've been getting a lot better. I can't do tomatoes, olives or mushrooms. I'm pretty much open to everything else. I live over seas in Japan (Air Force Base) so although I can get most food that is available in the states, I can't get it all so please keep that in mind.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Can you help me?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:35 am

I started an Extrema Fitness Challenge Class at my gym 8 weeks ago and I've been doing great at the fitness part but I just can't seem to get myself to eat right.
You're Not Motivated

It come down the fact that you are not motivated enough to to eat right.

Until you are motivated to "Eat Right", it not going to happen.
I don't really eat junk food I just don't eat enough good foods (I have stuff like Grape Nuts for breakfast,

Junk Food

Grape Nuts is junk food. So, you are eating junk food.
Lunch is hit or miss I'm on the run a lot,...
Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan
There are plenty food/meals you can take with you to work so you can eat on the run.

Essentially, you're just to lazy to do it.
...and I always have a good size dinner with a mean, veggie, and sometime potato (my fitness instructor told me I should not be eating potatoes but I think she is crazy).
Average American

Dr Donald Layman, PhD Exercise Physiologist, note that the Average American has one good meal a day. So, you are a member of that club.

You will remain a member until you decide to become proactive rather than doing nothing.

Potatoes

Potatoes have a high glycemic index. That means the increase insulin production; insulin is a fat storing hormone.

However, an occasional potato consumed with a meal isn't going to hurt you.

Secondly, if you cook a potato, refrigerate it and then later warm it up, it turn it into more of a "Resistant Starch", insoluble fiber, something celery. That mean the amount of calories and amount of insulin release is dramatically lower.

With that said, precisely why did you Fitness Instructor advise you to not eat potatoes?
Anyways, I can't seem to come up with quick and healthy lunch ideas.

No Motivation

We back to this issue. IF you were truly motivated, you invest some time in finding food that you like (only you know that) that are "Healthy" (a vague term that has no real meaning).
I eat a lot of Chicken for dinner, i try to limit my red meat.
Red Meat

There nothing wrong with eating Red Meat; it's a healthy choice.

Take Home

1) You need to invest sometime in educating yourself.

2) You need to plan your meal; pack a sack lunch.

3) You're not motivated enough to make this work, right now.

Unfortunately, the only one who can motivate you, is you.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.