Protein?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

sunnyrose1994
former lurker

Protein?

Post by sunnyrose1994 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:41 am

hi, i am a little confused about the amount of protein should be consumed. i have heard that our bodies can only take in 50g a day, but have also heard that we need 1g/lb of our body weight. i weigh 160 lbs and lift 4 days a week, combined with hockey, basketball and swimming throughout the week. how much protein should i be consuming daily?

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Protein?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am

hi, i am a little confused about the amount of protein should be consumed. i have heard that our bodies can only take in 50g a day,
"Believe Nothing You Hear, and Only One Half That You See."

You heard wrong. More than 50 gram of protein day is needed even for those virtually nothing.

With that said, anytime you hear something that you don't know or understand, you need to do your homework and find out

...but have also heard that we need 1g/lb of our body weight.
Protein Per Pound of Body Weight
The amount of protein needed is dependent on many factors.

For most training, the recommendation for protein is between 1.2 gram to 2.0 gram per kilo, with around 1.6 gram the general consensus.

160 lb Body Weight

160 lbs = 72.6 kg X 1.6 gram per kilo = 116 gram of Quality Protein Per Day; Whey, Casein, Milk, Eggs, Meats, Cheese, etc.

Amount of Protein Per Serving

Around 30 gram of Quality Protein Per Meal/Serving is needed for increasing and/or maintaining muscle mass.

Do Your Homework

Don't believe what you hear or me. Do you own homework and find out.

Kenny Croxdale