Great big book of everything

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Great big book of everything

Post by hoosegow » Sun May 21, 2006 10:29 am

Does anyone have a suggestion on a good reference book for food? Specifically I need info for carbs, calories, protein and fat. If it has info on restraunt food, also, that would be a bonus.

Also, I'd appreciate a double check on this for dietary requirements:
74" 270 lbs. 8 hours rest 14 hours very light (a little conservative - I work an office job), one hour of light and 1 hour of heavy. I lift for at least 1 hour 5 times a week and do cardio 3X a week for 30 minutes. My fat free mass is 202. To make things easy, my goal is 230 which is about 10% BF. So I am basing my weight at 225.

Calorie needs for workout day - 3550
Exericise free day - 2950

I have at three different diets for the week. One for reduction on workout days (base - 500 calories = 3050) one for reduction on exercise free days (base -500 = 2450) and one for the two building muscle days (base + 500 = 4050).

Reduction workout day 3050 calories 348 g of carbs, 338 g of protein, and 34 g of fat.

Reduction exercise free day 2450 calories 244 g of carbs, 338 g of protein and 25.4 g of fat.

Building day 4050 calories - 573 g of carbs, 338 g of protein, 45 g of fat.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Sun May 21, 2006 11:14 am

You could try "The Complete Book of Food Counts, 7th Edition" and " Eating Out Food Counter". Another good one is ?Zone Food Blocks" (which I have) by Barry Sears. It lists EVERYTHING, even by brand name and by restuarant chain. One problem, though. It was set up for the Zone diet, and it lists breakdown in blocks. 1 Block of Carb = 9 gr C
1 Block P = 7 gr P
1 Block F = 3.5 gr F
It was set up to keep things equal in a 40-30-30 C-P-F ration, but if you are willing to do the simple math, it's great and all comprehensive.
I'll leave the rest of the questoion to others. I tend to keep things much simpler (although it sounds very well thought out) along the lines of Berardi's
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
You can put 10 nutritionists in a room, and get 10 different answers to any question.
Tim

kevin harris
Novice
Novice

Post by kevin harris » Sun May 21, 2006 4:05 pm

The NutriBase
complete book of food counts

is a great resource for counting calories is has all the macro nutrient break downs as well as sodium cholestral and fiber
good book i use it at least once a day

your caloric break down looks decent
glad to see somone doing their homework

TimG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TimG » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:39 am

This is not a complete book about food in the sense that it does not list nutritional values, etc., but I'd like to suggest Walter Willett's book 'Eat, Drink and Be Healthy' as a good source of information for scientific studies about nutrition. I'm not a big fan of a particular diet plan, but think that for high-activity folks, it is important to pay close attention to nutrition.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:41 pm

Wow Kevin, the NutriBase book is just about the Great Big Book of Everything. I think I am beginning to understand why I am not losing any weight. One of my favorite fast food meals has over 1500 calories. Thanks for the tip. I believe this book is going everywhere with me.

Trillian
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Trillian » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:19 pm

hoosegow wrote:Wow Kevin, the NutriBase book is just about the Great Big Book of Everything. I think I am beginning to understand why I am not losing any weight. One of my favorite fast food meals has over 1500 calories. Thanks for the tip. I believe this book is going everywhere with me.
Haha, thats awesome. Good luck on your goals and post back if you hit another plateau!
ACSM CPT