Fat Burners and cortisol blockers?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, darshana, stuward

rexallxp
Rookie
Rookie

Fat Burners and cortisol blockers?

Post by rexallxp » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm

Do thermogenic fat burners actually work? I know they have caffeine in them, but do they really do anything that say...alot of coffee can't?

Also, I'm pretty much stressed all day, so I've been looking into cortisol blockers. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

dian in spokane
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dian in spokane » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Learn some meditation and relaxation techniques for stress.

I have no faith in hermogenics personally, and though I've only seen brief, outrageous commercials on tv for cortisol blockers.

Seen enough of those though, to set my crap-detector off.

Running might be good for you. Burns fat AND reduces stress!

dian in spokane

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:25 pm

Fatburners. There are several types, and some mfrs combine them. The lipotropics supposedly"fee" up the fat so that it can eaily be used as fuel during a workout. The thermogenics upposedly raise the body's core temperature a bit so that it supposedly burns a few more calories than normal. Be careful with these though. This would be the group with caffeine and ephedra. They are CNS stimulants, and should be used with caution. They also have a tendency to dull the apetite. I think they MAY give you a slight edge, but neither is a magic bullet, and be leary of all these claims you see in commercials.
PS, Phosphatidyl Serine (sp?) blunts cortisol reaction. It might be useful for recuperation purposes, as cortisol is catabolic, but I think all these claims of cortisol melts belly fat is pure bunk. Just my opinion though.
Tim

dian in spokane
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dian in spokane » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 pm

<<The thermogenics upposedly raise the body's core temperature a bit so that it supposedly burns a few more calories than normal.<<

This whole notion makes me smile. MY body's temperature seems to run on HIGH all the time. Me and about another million or so women who refuse to take hormones to reduce the symptoms of menopause.

If ONLY sweat caused weight loss, we'd be a nation of skinny old ladies instead of fat old ladies.

Sometimes I feel like I'm melting from the inside out, but it sure doesn't show up on the scale. .. except for sweaty footprints sometimes :)

dian