Mass Gainers vs Carb Loaders

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

paul_k
Rookie
Rookie

Mass Gainers vs Carb Loaders

Post by paul_k » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:31 am

Usually people who want to gain lean muscle mass add to their nutrition a portion of a Mass Gainer after their workouts.
As far as I know Mass Gainers contain a lot of carbs in the form of Sugar, Maltrose, Lactose or similar sweet substances which increase the sweet levels in the blood and the athlete will feel hungry soon after. It is also known that sweets in general convert to fat easily which is an other risk when we use the usual Mass Gainers unless we train so hard that we burn it.

On the other hand Carb Loaders contain similar amount of carbs extracted from potatoes but not from sugar or other sweet substances which make them better for the diet and they do not convert to fat.

Could I have your opinion about these two different substances?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:59 am

Potatoes are a very hi GI source of carbs, therefore, they are basically the same; the potato starch breaks down into sugars very quickly, especially when processed Dfferent name, but basically the same thing..
Tim

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:43 am

Starch may even be worse because it is half glucose already where as sugar is all sucrose. I can't remember the details, but I remember reading about how starch breaks down. I know it does start converting to glucose while it is still in your mouth.

paul_k
Rookie
Rookie

Post by paul_k » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:20 am

as always, thank you for your answers.
I will stick with the usual Mass Gainer.

TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:21 am

You're absolutely right Ironman. You can tell that by cutting a potato, and it starts turning dark almost instantly, which is basically the conversion process starting.
Tim