Energy for morning workouts

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

fast_twitch
n00b
n00b

Energy for morning workouts

Post by fast_twitch » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Don't mean to be spreading myself all over the forum, but I want to keep my questions in the relevant threads, where possible.

A couple days a week I work out in the morning (due to work sched). While I used to be able to jump out of bed and work out (those were the days), I now need to get something down so that I don't tank while working out. What I've been doing is drinking down a protein shake about 1/2 to 1 hour before lifting. This is okay, but I'm afraid that when I really start pushing myself hard, I'm going to puke it all back up. Is there a better strategy or food I can eat that will give me quick energy without filling me up?

Also, I read somehwere that it's best to have protein within an hour after lifting, not before. Is this true?

Thanks,

Ted

jwcalla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jwcalla » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:37 pm

You should be okay after an hour. Depends on how big the meal is. I usually eat about 500 cals an hour before lifting and generally don't have a problem. A bigger meal would need more time to digest.

Protein before and after lifting is good. Actually, immediately after lifting you really should have a post-workout drink that consists of ~65g of simple sugars like sucrose and dextrose and ~35g of whey protein. I think there's a recent thread about it somewhere on this forum.

John

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Energy for morning workouts

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:02 am

I now need to get something down so that I don't tank while working out. What I've been doing is drinking down a protein shake about 1/2 to 1 hour before lifting. This is okay, but I'm afraid that when I really start pushing myself hard, I'm going to puke it all back up. Is there a better strategy or food I can eat that will give me quick energy without filling me up?
A protein/carb drink prior to working out will help you. You might try ingesting a little less and sipping it during your workout.

Also, taking some caffeine will help you. A cup of coffee or a caffeine tablet about a hour before you workout should sustain you energy level.
Also, I read somehwere that it's best to have protein within an hour after lifting, not before. Is this true?
A post workout beverage enhances recovery. However, the research now indicates a preworkout beverage as well as sipping a driink during your workout enhances recovery even more.

So, take something before, during and after your workout to maximize your results.

Kenny Croxdale
Thanks TimD.

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm

One hour before lifting? Do you wake up with the bread trucks?

Anyway, in the summer I find myself enjoying a workout before work. I have some low-fat plain yogurt, sometimes adding a banana. Seems to do the trick.