Good nutrition on the cheap

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

daniel4738

Good nutrition on the cheap

Post by daniel4738 » Fri May 04, 2007 3:23 am

So, I train a lot, probably eat about 3000kcals in a day but I am also a poor student and can't really afford to buy lots of food. Specifically proteins.

SO I tend to eat a lot of fresh veggies, rice and pasta. My daily food intake consists of a bowl of cereal (muesli) with full fat milk for breakfast, and 3 dishes of either veggies+rice/pasta. Cooked up the night before for dinner, then put into a lunch box and have it for lunch the next day and at 1600 before I go training.

What are good cheap sources of protein?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri May 04, 2007 6:28 am

I'm not sure where you are located, but here in the US, eggs are fairly cheap. Also, if you shop in a warehouse type place like Costo or Sams, you can get the lean ground beef for right around two dollars a lb (you have to buy about 6 lbs at a shot, but thats no problem, I divide it up and freeze it).Chicken legs, whole, are pretty cheap. My local market sells a 10 lb bag of them for 5 bucks. My local supermarket, Food Lion, has weekly specials where they rotate around with good prices. This week it's top round (London Broil) for 1.98/lb and pork loin for 1.68 a lb. Yes, these were 3 lb roasts, but thats no problem, buy it up, cut them up and freee them for later. I can get tuna at the bulk warehouses for right around 50 cents a can, and mackerel jack at an equivalent price. Just a few ideas.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 pm

Protein actually isn't all that expensive. 2 scoops of whey protein and 3/4 cup of oatmeal in a blender with 16 oz of water will run you about a buck and give you around 52 g of protein. That is a common breakfast for me.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat May 05, 2007 2:29 am

You could go dumpster diving at a steakhouse.

Chaggi
former lurker

Re: Good nutrition on the cheap

Post by Chaggi » Sat May 05, 2007 8:25 am

daniel4738 wrote:So, I train a lot, probably eat about 3000kcals in a day but I am also a poor student and can't really afford to buy lots of food. Specifically proteins.

SO I tend to eat a lot of fresh veggies, rice and pasta. My daily food intake consists of a bowl of cereal (muesli) with full fat milk for breakfast, and 3 dishes of either veggies+rice/pasta. Cooked up the night before for dinner, then put into a lunch box and have it for lunch the next day and at 1600 before I go training.

What are good cheap sources of protein?
You can look here www.2000cal.com.