Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

Rusty Bar
former lurker

Glucosamine and Chondroitin

Post by Rusty Bar » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:42 pm

I’m not sure if this post belongs in the General or Nutrition section. I was wondering if anyone has any experience good or bad with glucosamine and chondroitin. I’m been to experiencing some post-work joint discomfort and thought this might be worth a try. Thank you any insight you may have.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:09 pm

I take both. I find the effects are more palliative than curative - I hurt less while I'm taking them, more when I stop - but worth the cost.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:18 pm

I think the idea of GC is to help REBUILD connective tissue, and from what I've heard,it takes a couple of weeks to "kick in". I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to help for me, but I have osteo-arthritus problems as well, and in my hip joint, I'm not even sure there is any connective tisue to reuild.
Tim

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:51 pm

I have tried it and know several other people who have tried it. My sister swears by it. I suggested to a buddy of mine who was an ex-NFL center (not name dropping but adding it as a reference as to the wear and tear his body has been through)and victim of a horrible construction accident. He was training for his first marathon 3 years ago. He was in so much pain he was going to give up. He started taking it and has now run his third marathon.

I suggested it to a co-worker and he had zero results.

Rusty Bar
former lurker

Post by Rusty Bar » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the insight folks. I very much appreciate you thoughts on this topic.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:43 am

G&C can take several months to have much effect. The early studies showed no benefit, apparently because they didn't go long enough. Later studies have shown a modest but real benefit. I take them for OA in my knees. I'm about to try going off of my anti-inflammatory meds for a time and seeing if G&C alone will work.

trainer Chris
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trainer Chris » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:45 am

i take it every day and have since i tore my rotator cuff in 2005. i have tried a bunch of name brands and you really do need a quality product when your dealing with your body from the inside. i swear by USANA Procosa II.

if you put this id number in your order you will get 10% off your order.

Jay30384
n00b
n00b

Post by Jay30384 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:43 am

I've been taking G&C daily for almost a year now and I've noticed a distinct lowering of the pain in my knees and shoulder. I've been actively playing sports, both competitively and recreationally for the last 15 years and my joints have taken quite a beating but this definitely helps.