How many scoops of whey should I take?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, ianjay, stuward

sushmavb
former lurker

How many scoops of whey should I take?

Post by sushmavb » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi,

I just bought the EAS whey protein shake and I'm clueless as to how much I should take. I'm 145 pounds, 5'6 and a vegetarian. I'm pretty sure the only source of protein I get is from pulses. So, it's not much.

Thanks!

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:43 pm

Take roughly 15-20g pre and post workout with roughly 60g of dextrose.

hoosegow
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Post by hoosegow » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:26 pm

Stupid question on my part. Can you eat whey as a vegetarian being that it is milk plasma and all?

stuward

Re: How many scoops of whey should I take?

Post by stuward » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:18 am

sushmavb wrote:Hi,

I just bought the EAS whey protein shake and I'm clueless as to how much I should take. I'm 145 pounds, 5'6 and a vegetarian. I'm pretty sure the only source of protein I get is from pulses. So, it's not much.

Thanks!
Assuming you are trying to build muscle and are weight training appropriately, you need 145 g of protein a day or more. Calculate what you get from your diet and augment throughout the day. Upon rising and bedtime are important times to get protein, then spread it out evenly through the day with about 6 feeding/day. if you are trying to lose fat, you will need more, cutting grains to compensate. If you are able to eat eggs, you should.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 am

hoosegow wrote:Stupid question on my part. Can you eat whey as a vegetarian being that it is milk plasma and all?
There are several varieties of vegetarian. Some (called "vegans") eat no animal products at all, including milk or eggs. Others (called "Lacto-ovo vegetarianism" will eat dairy and eggs. There are other variants. Some people don't eat honey, as it is an animal product.

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 am

I say 1 or 2 scoops. There is a difference between barely staving off malnutrition and making absolutely 100% sure you have all the protein you can possibly use. It is a fact that protein intake that boarders on the excessive is best for optimal gains or making sure you lose no muscle while cutting.

However that said, you need to either, Watch the "Penn & Teller's bull$h1t!" episode regarding PETA, or look up diagrams and descriptions of the digestive systems of humans, dogs, sheep and apes, or read about the junk science studies about fat and cholesterol, or read some critical information about your religion, or read about complete protein sources, or read about b-12, it's deficiency, and it's only source, or read snopes.com, or find a different hobby. A lot of vegetarians like yoga I hear.

Uh, yea, I would like to go skeet shooting. But I am not going to put any bullets in the gun. I don't like bullets, I just want to put bottle rockets in the barrel, shout pull and hope for the best.