Timing of meals

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

duly noted
Rookie
Rookie

Timing of meals

Post by duly noted » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:24 pm

I am staring to get into the regimen of six meals a day, with at least two of those being meal replacements... It's hard to affor three meal replacements a day! I am interested to know what the timing of these meals should be. I am shooting for a weight training workout three days per week (M-W-F) and 30 minutes of HIIT on T - Th from 12:30 - 1:00. How should I speace the meals and when should I supplement?

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:37 pm

Well, its hard to tell how many calories you need to eat per day, given no information on your weight/height/bf%, but you don't need to eat a MRP. Apples + Peanut Butter or Banana + PB? Tuna salad? Trail mix? -- love that stuff, I have BAGS of it. As for timing, figure 6 meals a day, every 2 - 2 1/2 hours you're eating, for the average person. Eat well preworkout, normally an hour before, and take no longer than an hour working out, followed by another decent meal afterwards. You sound like you're new to lifting, so honestly, you can't really screw anything up. As for supplementing, if you are new to lifting, its probably a waste of money this early on, and you should focus on a solid diet and strong regiment first.

stuward

Re: Timing of meals

Post by stuward » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:37 pm

duly noted wrote:I am staring to get into the regimen of six meals a day, with at least two of those being meal replacements... It's hard to affor three meal replacements a day! I am interested to know what the timing of these meals should be. I am shooting for a weight training workout three days per week (M-W-F) and 30 minutes of HIIT on T - Th from 12:30 - 1:00. How should I speace the meals and when should I supplement?
I assume your weight training is at lunch as well. That would affect the timing of your meals.

Your goals matter as well. If you are trying to gain weight you might take different supplements than someone trying to gain weight.

Plan 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Have a snack between each and 1 in the evening. Consider all 6 meals to be feedings, not meals or snacks. You want to make sure they support your overall goal. Try to get whole food as much as possible and divide your protein up between your meals roughly equally. Carbs are usually more beneficial in the morning for energy and on either side of your workout. Meals should generally get smaller as the day progresses with the largest meal at breakfast.

MRP's are expensive. Protein is relatively cheap, and mixed with some whole foods are all you need for a quick meal.

Fish oil is one supplement I recommend regardless of your goal as it supports fat loss, muscle gain and general health. Take some in the morning and some at night. Flax meal is a good source of Omega 3 and fibre that is easy to add to your meals.

Creatine and CLA also are useful but more so for older people.

Stu