Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

~Bulking and Cutting advice needed~

Post by lightningsix » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:00 am

Hey ladies and gents .

I've been reading a lot of topics in the cutting section and I have a quick question.

I am about half way through my bulking cycle and I'm a little confused on starting a cutting cycle since I have always been relatively lean with a very high metabolism I have never needed to cut down on calories to maintain or even loser BF%.

Just weighed in today at 150lbs up from 145lbs in a little over 2 weeks.(very proud of that so don't laugh lol. I've weighed 145 since senior year of highschool and haven't been able to gain any weight until I started my nutrition log 2 weeks ago)
My first goal is a small one just to test the waters of bulking and cutting since I've never done either. My goal is 155lbs, 5lbs to go!

I know that it's a personal preference when you want to stop bulking and start cutting but my question is.... If I start at 145 and my goal is 155 to start a cut, do you think that 10lbs gain is too low to start cutting?
How much weight does one generally lose during a cutting phase?
My fear is dropping back to 145.

Again, this is my first time to ever bulk or cut so take it easy on me lol :P

If my first goal is to gain 10lbs of lean muscle should I be gaining from 145-165 instead and then cutting back to 155 or something? I'm lost and I appreciate yalls feedback

Also need a suggestion on macronutrients for my cutting cycle.
On my bulking cycle it has been 145x16=2320+500=2820. Eating around 1-1.5g of prot per pound.
What should I be aiming for (cal/fat/carb/prot) on a cutting cycle to avoid losing gained muscle?

-Thank you very much

TheHeb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TheHeb » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Since I've been lifting I've mostly been into maximal strength training and not bodybuilding, so I don't have any real specific experience with bulking and cutting, but if your advice is to gain 10 pounds of lean muscle, why cut after gaining 10 pounds total? Ten pounds of lean muscle added to 145 is 155 pounds, but that's what you weigh now. If you cut you're obviously going to decrease your weight from 155 down to maybe 150ish. That means you'll have to bulk again just to get back above 155, and then cut again to get down to 155. It seems to me like you should just keep focusing on gaining some weight.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:16 pm

Not time to cut yet.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:47 am

Thanks fellas.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:38 am

Hi,

Reading this with interest as i've been looking at my results after a 6 week bulk (my first!).

I started to weight train 12 months ago after a break of around 10 years.
I've alway's been lean. I'm 6ft 2in and alway's weighed around 14 stone (196 pounds)

After being disapointed with my visual results so far (although my log shows i've been growing!) i decided to bulk.

In six weeks i have gained 17 pounds! an average of 2.8 pounds a week.

Obviously, a lot of this is probably fat. I train 4 times a week on a push pull split routine that lasts at least an hour every day i lift. At the moment i dont do any cardio, although a walk briskly for 30 mins most day's.

I can feel the muscle i've added by bulking, so i know it wasn't all fat. My scales have a body fat calculator, but no althelete mode and they inform me im now 27% fat! Apparently 23% before my bulk.

BUT! I cant see my lower abs anymore. (can still see the upper ones though) and wanted to know two things.

1. is 17 pounds in 6 weeks too fast?
2. does anyone think this is too little gain to concider cutting yet, (i.e. should i keep going a little longer?)

Any help or advice much appreciated

Regards,

Rik

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:40 am

P.S.

My goal is to get as large as my avatar!!! :lol:

Sorry in advance

Rik

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:39 pm

That avatar is too big actually. It screws up the format of the forum. I'm going to have to remove. You can get a smaller one though.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:02 am

:red: oops!

My avatar wont work unless i link to an image URL.

Tried uploading an image less than 6k and 79px by 47px, just get this error:

Warning: copy(./images/avatars/36959856489d93becd31c.gif) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 288

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 492

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 494

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/usercp_avatar.php:288) in /home/exrx/wwwroot/exrx.net/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 495

Oh well! :roll:

Meanwhile...am i gaining too fast?

Regards,

Rik

Ironman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ironman » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:19 pm

I had the same problem. I only have moderate expertise and experience with PHPBB though. I'm more of a Unix/Linux guy, and don't do much application work. If I get time I'll google it and see what the fix is. It probably involves major changes on the mySQL database though, which isn't my strong suit.

It could just be an OS permission issue, so it might be an easy fix. I'll look at it later.

Ubulus Dorsimus
n00b
n00b

Post by Ubulus Dorsimus » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 pm

Don't be ashamed of your weight. But here's the thing, don't be hung up on it either. You start cutting at one of two points: 1. when you are set time before a goal (e.g. 3 mos before your vacation to Cancun when you want to show off your abs, not your flabs). or 2. when your bodyfat gets to a certain point (e.g. 12%). When I used to "bulk" and "cut" I used the latter. And without some time deadline, I think that's the best way to determine it.

How much you lose is very personal. I always lost way more weight than I anticipated, but then I gained a lot of weight quickly. In my case I probably carried a lot of water. Then I know some guys that gain very little on their bulker and lose very little and are ripped (lucky!). Again, don't get hung up on your bodyweight. Be more concerned about your waist size, body fat percentage and other key measurements.

I think gaining solid "dry" muscle weight is better than bulking if your goal is to be fit, healthy, and look close to your best all the time. You can do kind of micro-cycles of mass training and cutting within that strategy. But "bulking" to me means your probably gaining about 1 part fat, 1 part water, and 1 part muscle (if you have great genetics). The muscle gains will plateau and if you keep stuffing yourself with calories, you will look and feel terrible and sacrifice your health. As you get older (assuming you're under 30) that'll be much more important to you, and it should be when you're young too. Just my unsolicited sermon and for that, I apologize.

Oh, and for your cutting advice: Yes, keep the protein up: 1g per pound of bodyweight is good. I would advise counting calories too. Those are the two big concerns you should track. As a recreational bodybuilder, I wouldn't worry too much over carb counting versus fat but would go low fat in your food choices (which means mainly eating lean protein and complex carbs). So, for example start with 2,000 calories a day and 150 grams of protein. Spread it over however many meals you like. Try 5 or 6 if you don't know. See what that does and adjust accordingly. You shouldn't be excessively hungry. When you go to sleep your stomach should feel flat and empty like you could probably go for a burger or something. If you feel low energy and like crap, you're eating too little. It's largely subjective and done through trial and error. Of course monitor your weight. Don't lose more than about 2lbs a week. In your case the weight loss should be very slow--probably more like .5 lbs a week. Don't be obsessive about calorie counting. Just round everythign off to 50. so a bowel of oatmeal that weighs in at 260 calories, you'd just knock it down to 250 when you count it. A chicken breast with 130 calories, you'd just knock it up to 150. There's no point in being any more scientific than that. WHen you get to know your body better you can cut without counting calories. You'll know what a days protein looks like and how much you should eat to get lean. Hope this helps.

Rik-Blades
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Rik-Blades » Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:23 am

Ironman, maybe this will help?

http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/users-c ... is-server/

Regards,

Rik

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:11 am

Ubulus Dorsimus wrote:Don't be ashamed of your weight.
I don't think he's saying anything about being ashamed. He's bulking on purpose!