Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, parth, stuward

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Example of my bulk diet. Is this ok?

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:45 am

Hi everyone.

This is an example of the diet I'm following on my bulk and was wondering if it looks ok?

9am: 100g Alpen, 300ml semi skimmed milk, 250 ml fresh OJ.
11am: Shake (Protein and carbs, not just protein)
1pm: 1/2 can baked beans on 2 slices wholemeal toast.
3pm: 2 slices wholemeal toast, 50g peanut butter.
5pm: 1 chicken breast, 60g egg noodles.
7pm: 3 crumpets + 2 boiled eggs.
9pm: 6 oatcakes + 50g cheddar cheese.
11pm: Shake (same as before)

3,435 cals
214g protein
433g carbs
93g fat

Any feedback of any kind welcome!! My diet is the bit I find the hardest so will really benefit from it! I know that I need to get much more fruit and veg in there, and I'm working on that. :)

EDIT: I take a chicken breast to be 30g of protein and 162 calories. I'm using that figure because the figures on the internet are so varied!!!

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Throw some veggies & fruit in there. I don't see any anywhere in your meals. It will give you added nutrients (vitamins, calcium, etc). BTW when do you typically workout during the day?

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:05 pm

That's a lot of bread! Four slices of toast, plus, I assume that crumpets and oat cakes are forms of bread (aren't crumpets similar to what are sold in the US as "English muffins?"). I'd cut most of that, and replace part of the carbs with fruit and veggies like the Maiden of Iron says. You could afford to go up on the prot and fat a bit.

tyler

Post by tyler » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 pm

Jungledoc wrote:That's a lot of bread! Four slices of toast, plus, I assume that crumpets and oat cakes are forms of bread (aren't crumpets similar to what are sold in the US as "English muffins?"). I'd cut most of that, and replace part of the carbs with fruit and veggies like the Maiden of Iron says. You could afford to go up on the prot and fat a bit.
U think he needs to go up from 214 grams of protein?

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 pm

Tyler, from what he posted, I can't see where he's getting his 214 gr P from, unless it's the shakesHe doesn't have much "meat" in thereI Protein from shkes is fine, but I wouldn't make it my main source.
Tim

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:58 am

tyler wrote:U think he needs to go up from 214 grams of protein?
I mostly think he needs to go down on the carbs.

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:27 am

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

I agree that I definitely need to increase the veg and fruit intake, and I'll cut down on the crumpets and bread as suggested and replace them with other carb sources.

For the next 3 or 4 weeks I'll be working out mainly in the early afternoon, then when school starts back (I'm a teacher, not a pupil :D) it'll be mainly early evening workouts.

I'll post again later to show where my protein is coming from in that particular list, but off the top of my head the main source is the chicken breast, shakes, and beans. I also eat granary bread which has 5g protein per slice. :) I'll come back with a more detailed list later.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 am

For the next 3 or 4 weeks I'll be working out mainly in the early afternoon, then when school starts back (I'm a teacher, not a pupil :D) it'll be mainly early evening workouts.
Make sure you get food in your system beforehand (60-100g carbs) w/ adequate amounts of protein (20g). Then afterwards have at least 20g of protein w/ 60g of dextrose.

robertscott
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by robertscott » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:00 am

americans don't call crumpets crumpets?

what a backward country, so much to learn from us Brits.

TimD

Post by TimD » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:31 am

RS, did I read correctly that you are calling yourself a "brit"? When I was shipping out of Glasgow, I made a really bad mistake and called a Scot a "brit" and almost had to replace my teeth. As backward as we are here in the US, yes, we have heard of Tea and Crumpets, although I much prefer beer and pretzels.
Tim

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:22 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:
Make sure you get food in your system beforehand (60-100g carbs) w/ adequate amounts of protein (20g). Then afterwards have at least 20g of protein w/ 60g of dextrose.
Thanks!

I always have one of my shakes straight after my workout - would that be ok? I work my diet plan around it usually. (I meant to do my workout early this morning, hence the 11am shake, but I was far too tired and had to wait till early afternoon before my energy levels were ok!) I meant to say I'm going to be working out early morning for the next 3/4 weeks, not early afternoon!

TeeBee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by TeeBee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:52 am

Scones are more popular than crumpets in the U.S. But they're not as good as the scones you get in Scotland.

robertscott

Post by robertscott » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:44 am

Tim: you're not wrong about calling a Scot a Brit. I would usually refer to myself as a Scot but crumpets are actually a very English thing and so I went for the Brit option on this occasion. It's quite a contentious issue what with sectarianism and things, however the part of Scotland where I'm from doesn't have the same sectarian subculture as down in the Central Belt where i stay now.

But yeah beer and pretzels over tea and crumpets any day.

Stephen Johnson
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

Post by Stephen Johnson » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:23 am

robertscott wrote:americans don't call crumpets crumpets?

what a backward country, so much to learn from us Brits.
"The Americans and the British as divided by a common language"
-Anon

Crumpets and English muffins are two separate animals.

But back on topic, I don't see the protein in the OP diet, either. It would work well for an endurance athlete - a lot of fiber and complex carbs. But I agree that the absence of fruits/veggies in the list is a serious shortcoming.

Mr_Schneebly
Novice
Novice

Re: Example of my bulk diet. Is this ok?

Post by Mr_Schneebly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:57 am

Thanks again everyone for the help. I've quoted my original post and put in bold where most of my protein is coming from, but I'm just going by the nutritional info on the packets of food I get.

9am: 100g Alpen, 300ml semi skimmed milk, 250 ml fresh OJ.
11am: Shake (Protein and carbs, not just protein)
1pm: 1/2 can baked beans on 2 slices wholemeal toast.
3pm: 2 slices wholemeal toast, 50g peanut butter.
5pm: 1 chicken breast, 60g egg noodles.
7pm: 3 crumpets + 2 boiled eggs.
9pm: 6 oatcakes + 50g cheddar cheese.
11pm: Shake (same as before)

Part of the reason I had so much bread in there is because I eat granary bread and each slice has 5g of protein in it according to the nutritional info bit! I've bought much more in the way of meat products today though, and more veggies and fruit, so I'll alter my diet to get them in.