Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, jethrof, stuward, parth

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

How Can I Improve My Diet?

Post by uvhst3p » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:21 pm

http://exrx.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4886&start=45

the above is the link to my online journal here. i have started posting what i eat some days ago. i need some advice on how i can improve my diet. my main goal in weight lifting is to gain strength and not really bulk up. you can reply in the journal discussions or here :)

thanks guys!

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Well if I was going to say something that has to go right away, its the soda. Drink water or tea, or diet soda to ease yourself out of drinking soda. HFCS is horrible for you.

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:33 am

Have proper breakfast would be my advice. A banana and pills aren't going to hold you over until lunch. Boil a couple of eggs, have a bowl of müesli-type cereal (whole grains & nuts) or something like that. Skip pizza, fries and any kind of fast food.

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:01 am

Read the stickies we have poste, especially the link to Berardi's 7 habits. It gives a good general guideline.
Tim

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:50 am

Helena115 wrote:Have proper breakfast would be my advice. A banana and pills aren't going to hold you over until lunch. Boil a couple of eggs, have a bowl of müesli-type cereal (whole grains & nuts) or something like that. Skip pizza, fries and any kind of fast food.
yup. i always get hungry in the time between breakfast and lunch. the problem with eggs for me is that i always, and i mean always, get a stomach ache when i eat eggs for breakfast. if i were going to eat eggs, i'd rather eat them scrambled or sunny side up because boiled eggs also make me gassy. :green:

about the fast food, the only reason why i eat 'em is because they are "fast". see, my schedule throughout the day would most likely be:

6:00 a.m. - wake up
6:05 a.m. - boil water for a hot/warm bath. i don't know but when i take a bath with cold water, my stomach aches
6:06 a.m. to 6:19 a.m. - eat breakfast
6:20 a.m. to 6:35 a.m. - take a bath
6:36 a.m. to 6:50 a.m. - other bathroom activities like brushing teeth and toilet stuff
(sometimes i interchange the bathroom schedule)
6:51 a.m. - leave for work
7:50 a.m. - arrive at work. it takes a long time because traffic is hell. if there was no traffic, my commute time would be about only 35 minutes
...work throughout the day...
5:30 p.m. - leave the office
7:00 p.m. - arrive home. yes, it takes longer to travel home after work because other people go home from the office too and it's also the same time the children get out of their schools
7:01 p.m. to 7:05 p.m. - change to workout clothes
7:06 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - exercise. < just an estimate
8:01 p.m. - i am so tired from work and the stress of commute and working out that i just order take out instead of standing and cooking. see, even standing makes me tired after my day :sad:
8:02 p.m. to 8:25 p.m. - rest and wait for the delivery to arrive
...well, if i don't eat take out, and i still have some energy left, i just cook some quick cooking foods, mostly fried like fried chicken, fried chicken nuggets, bacon and eggs (apparently, eating eggs at night does not affect my stomach), because i just want to go to bed at the earliest possible time
8:26 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. - eat dinner
9:01 p.m. to 9:05 p.m. - bathroom
9:06 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. - rest before going to bed
10:01 p.m. to 5:59 a.m. - sleep
(if i don't get my 8 hours of sleep, i feel really tired and sleepy the next day. so, see the complications?)

Helena115
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Helena115 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:12 am

Maybe you could eat cottage cheese or some type of lunch meat (turkey or ham) on a piece of whole grain bread? You really need some protein in your breakfast.

If you have to order out for dinner, choose the healthier alternatives where the meat is not battered and/or deep fried. Avoid white sticky rice and get brown rice instead. Get as much veggies in the meal as possible, steamed and not cooked until they're a soggy mess :wink:

If you get food from McDonalds, avoid the burgers and chicken nuggets and go for the salads with chicken breasts instead. Aim for "clean" food that hasn't been processed, deep fried or battered.

Tuna is a great source of protein, and it's quick and easy to make. My favorite is mixing tuna (canned in water) with avocado, a dash of olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper. Put on whole grain bread. You get lots of protein and all the good kinds of fatty acids. Add some veggies to that and you're good to go. A couple of rings of bell pepper, a handfull of cherry tomatoes, some cucumber slices and stalks of celery.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:56 am

An amazing side note about those salads from McDonalds, because I have to eat them when I work all day, you can upgrade those bad boys for a dollar. Tell them you want an extra chicken breast on it, and they will do it for a buck. I have tripled my chicken pleasure on occasion on really rough days.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:20 am

Becareful of those Micky Ds salads, get it without any of their special dressing on it, throw extra veggies into it if possible, & if you want dressing use olive oil or balsamic vinegar.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 am

Caesar dressing is okay, its fatty, but no carbs in it. The southwest chicken salad dressing, I swear is brewed in sugar or something, really bad stuff.

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:42 pm

I pulled this directly from my diet thread.
Anti-Diet Foods
The foods to avoid: Creamy salad dressings, potatoes, popcorn, chips of all kinds, white bread, fatty meats etc. Use your head; you know what to look for.
The foods to eliminate: Sweets (pie, cake, cookies, candy, etc), dairy based deserts, full sugar soda, fast food, juice, etc.

The foods to avoid are generally starchy or are loaded with sugar. Starchy foods start to get digested in the mouth. When it is fully digested it turns into sugar which is something you want to avoid. The exception is the salad dressing, your Ranch and Caesar dressings can easily be abused first off since they are so calorie dense and second you can have another thing in its place that has much more of a nutritional value. The fatty meats might be confusing so let me clarify this, animal fat is what you find in meat (duh!), animal fat mainly consists of saturated fat. If you read above you can see that the ratio of fats should be 1:1:1, when you eat animal fat that balance will be thrown off towards too much saturated fats. The fats you want should come partially from meats and the rest from vegetables and some from grains.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 pm

I know I know, but when I am dieting, I'm worried more about carbs than anything else. Always seems to work for me.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:41 am

Of course, Anshan, you didn't mention in your original thread the constraints you experience because of your location and the economy there. Many of the items people have mentioned may not be available or affordable to you. I think eggs should be the mainstay of your diet. Eat meat when you can get it. Can you even buy cottage cheese?

uvhst3p
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by uvhst3p » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:43 am

sorry. my bad about not mentioning my status first.

anyway, i still appreciate your inputs. about the mcdonald's salads, we have that here but they are always out of stock since salads are not popular here in the philippines. and the chicken breast? i'd rather order that from other places other than mcdonald's because the chicken at mcdo (that's what we call 'em) is very small compared to the others

hmmm....cottage cheese. you know what? the only place where i've heard that is from foreign cooking shows on tv. i don't think i have seen cottage cheese for sale here. i only see cheddar and parmesan

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Brown rice, vegetables, and chicken. You can get those items on a regular basis right? If so, eat that.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:04 pm

I'm betting that chicken is too expensive for daily use.