Any ideas for preparing Eggs?

Ask and answer questions, discuss research and applications

Moderators: Ironman, Jungledoc, parth, stuward

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any ideas for preparing Eggs?

Post by ellerbus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:22 pm

I know eggs are a good source of protein, but I can't stand eating them (never have). I make them for breakfast for my wife and daughter (usually scrambled with a little milk and a drop of vanilla extract). Every couple of years I try to eat them, thinking my tastes have changed without me knowing.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good recipe that I could try for making eggs that doesn't involve french-toast (scrambled, omelet, whatever).

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:02 pm

I throw provalone cheese into the mix w/ tabasco. Mmmm....

TimD
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Post by TimD » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 pm

Take a little chopped leftover meat, or not, add in some leftover chopped vegetables, all of which is your choice, mix it up with seasoning, and add cheese if you wish, and pour some beaten egg over the top. Bake or nuke in the microwave till solid. Kind of like a quiche. The egg just holds it together, so use as little or as much as you like. Kind of makes the egg a secondary participant, but you still get it's value.
Tim

VoK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by VoK » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:26 pm

I usually make an egg sandwich. Toast two sides of bread with either turkey bacon or turkey breast.
While that is happening, whisk two eggs in a bowl, add some pepper, garlic powder, and tabasco, and throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Both will finish at the same time, scoop out the entire bowl of egg onto the bread and there's your sandwich.

nygmen

Post by nygmen » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:15 pm

Go to a South East Asian restaurant, and watch what they do with the eggs. Mix them in with rice or pasta and a ton of meat or seafood. Just avoid fish sauce at all costs, trust me.

You can also try cage free/free range organic eggs, there honestly is a difference, and my wife has ruined cheap eggs for me for ever. (I'm not allowed to touch her eggs anymore.)

Not that it is the healthiest choice, but egg salad with flax oil mayo, ground black pepper and toasted whole grain bread is great.

If you don't like them to start I don't recommend microwaving your eggs.

Poach them and swallow them whole. They will be soft enough to slide right down.

Jungledoc

Post by Jungledoc » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:32 am

Vanilla extract is a new concept to me for eggs! I'll try it, but it doesn't sound very good to me.

Garlic, on the other hand....

I chop up veggies, sometimes preparing a large amount in advance, enought for several days, and keep it in the fridge. I like tomatoes, peppers, onions (any kind), occasionally mushrooms, maybe some garlic. I also add some chopped meat, usually ham.

Then I saute the veggie/meat mix in some olive oil, then throw in a couple of eggs, and scramble it all together. If you still don't like it, increase the meat and/or the garlic. Actually, if you do enough meat, why do you need the eggs?

stuward

Post by stuward » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:24 am

Jungledoc wrote:Vanilla extract is a new concept to me for eggs! I'll try it, but it doesn't sound very good to me.
That's used in egg nog. I think I'd rather eat at you house.

lightningsix
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by lightningsix » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:42 am

I usually just scramble and eat with ketchup or plain hardboiled.

pdellorto
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Post by pdellorto » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:09 am

You can try making Italian Easter Pie:

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_A ... r_pie.html

Just don't make the crust if you want to avoid the carbs; put it straight into a corningware-type pan and cook it in the oven. I do it and it's just fine - a block of baked eggs with cheese and meat embedded. Can't go wrong.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:15 am

Thanks everyone! I'll give a couple of things a go and see what happens. I like the ideas of putting several ingredients in and using the eggs as glue. I'm even willing to try the cheese, eggs, and tabasco since I like cheese and tabasco so much (I love tabasco on a plain cheese new york style pizza).
Jungledoc wrote:Vanilla extract is a new concept to me for eggs! I'll try it, but it doesn't sound very good to me.
Just a drop, I think anymore and it would be overwhelming. I can't advise on more or less since I just don't eat it, but I haven't heard any complaints. I usually make 2 eggs, a drop of vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of whole milk .. whisk and scramble it all together. If you try it out, you'll have to let me know.

Kenny Croxdale
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Re: Any ideas for preparing Eggs?

Post by Kenny Croxdale » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 am

ellerbus wrote:I know eggs are a good source of protein, but I can't stand eating them (never have). I make them for breakfast for my wife and daughter (usually scrambled with a little milk and a drop of vanilla extract). Every couple of years I try to eat them, thinking my tastes have changed without me knowing.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good recipe that I could try for making eggs that doesn't involve french-toast (scrambled, omelet, whatever).
If you don't like eggs, I doubt there is much you can do that will change that. It's like someone said about putting lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

However, Tim's idea may work for you. Tim's idea reminds me of how I give my dog a pill that he doesn't like. I hide in a good piece of meat so that he doesn't notice it.

Kenny Croxdale

ironmaiden708

Post by ironmaiden708 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:10 am

I'm even willing to try the cheese, eggs, and tabasco since I like cheese and tabasco so much (I love tabasco on a plain cheese new york style pizza).
Let me know how that works out for ya since tabasco has the ability to make numerous things taste delicious.

brook011
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by brook011 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:46 am

I like the green jalepeno hot sauce. Tastes great on eggs and chicken.

ellerbus
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ellerbus » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:47 am

ironmaiden708 wrote:
I'm even willing to try the cheese, eggs, and tabasco since I like cheese and tabasco so much (I love tabasco on a plain cheese new york style pizza).
Let me know how that works out for ya since tabasco has the ability to make numerous things taste delicious.
Haven't tried the tobascco, cheese with eggs yet, but I do like adding some tobascco to plain corn now.. :grin:

Anyways, I tried a recipe for tuna patties that used eggs, oatmeal, and tuna ... good stuff. Thanks for the glue idea TimD.